Helping older people Watch

Captain Jack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I just read this article about students volunteering to work with older people in care homes and those who needs some extra help:
http://www.theguardian.com/education...on-modern-life

Over the last year, I have been lucky enough to spend more time with older people and I find it the most rewarding experience. You can learn so much from them, and they have someone to talk to and who values their advice, when quite often, they spend so much time alone.

Wondered if anyone on TSR volunteers in care homes or similar?
chloehaguee
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I volunteer for the Royal Voluntary Service as a befriender and I love it.
I find it such a rewarding experience supporting a service user to remain independent - e.g. going out for a walk to the park or supporting her with her food shopping.
She really values me visiting once a week too, as understandably she can get quite lonely living alone.
Frappé
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by chloehaguee)
I volunteer for the Royal Voluntary Service as a befriender and I love it.
I find it such a rewarding experience supporting a service user to remain independent - e.g. going out for a walk to the park or supporting her with her food shopping.
She really values me visiting once af week too, as understandably she can get quite lonely living alone.
Can you please PM me details of how you managed to get into that. I am currently trying to volunteer with them (RVS) as a befriender but everything's kind of confusing.
Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (506)
59.67%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.07%
No- I want it (241)
28.42%
No- I don't want it (58)
6.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise