Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i'm starting an evening course in september that covers fine art, photography and music production. i'm great at photography and music but haven't done art since gcse two and a half years ago. i was ok at it but never amazing and i'm completely out of practice now. the course says we'll be covering all aspects of art, from life drawing to comic books.

i have just over a month to get into the habit of drawing and improve my skills. i'm going to buy a sketchbook and take it eveywhere and draw every day. is there anything i could do that would improve specific skills? e.g. i watched a video that said drawing maps helps you improve on proportion. please, ANY tips or websites you can direct me to would help a bunch. thanks so much.

tl;dr i have a month to get better at fine art...help me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    Hey im obsessed with art and did it for GCSE and am doing it 4 Alevel (started it over the summer)

i would just try and draw everyday, i completely understand what you mean, my GCSE art exam was quite early and then the course ended. Then i was revising for my other GCSEs for like 2 months and during this time i hardly drew anything (lack of time), i hated not drawing and i started as soon as i could when my last exam finished.

By drawing everyday you get back into it and can feel yourself improving. Try to use a variety of styles and mediums as this is good anyway but especially if you are going to cover a range of styles in your course.

Try to draw things out out your normal range and make sure (because you are doing fine art) that you really look at the thing you are drawing. It sounds obvious but my marks for refinement went up when my teacher pointed out to me that i was drawing what i thought was there rather than what was actually there.

Good luck with everything
    thank you so much!!!! this was very helpful. long shot, but are there any books you could recommend that might help out too?

ReputationRep:
    bump

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.