Turn on thread page Beta

I don't think my parents would support me financially tbh. Is it possible? :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arfah)
    I don't think my parents would support me financially tbh. Is it possible? :erm:
    in London? rent alone will eat away a large chunk of the loan..

(Original post by Windies)
    in London? rent alone will eat away a large chunk of the loan..
    No. In Cardiff. It's meant to be a 'cheap' place.

😩😭 I'm screwed

ReputationRep:
    how much is your loan and how much is your rent?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arfah)
    No. In Cardiff. It's meant to be a 'cheap' place.
    It's possible to live off the money from SF alone (it's what I did). Do you get the max amount? Just make sure you're sensible with your accommodation choice.

ReputationRep:
    How much a month do you have to live on?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't gone to uni yet so I can't help you from a personal perspective however this is the average for UK students:

Students' annual living costs (outside London)
    Rent £4,989
    Food £1,954
    Household goods £363
    Insurance £42
    Personal Items £1,917
    Travel £1,705
    Leisure £1,190

Total: £12,160Source: National Union of Students

Your maintenance loan can be up to £5,555 outside London and £7,751 for students in London. If you are living outside of London that means you need an extra £6,605 each year, which suggests that you can't survive on just your loan?

Obviously though these are just an average and you definitely could reduce these by going out less, having the cheapest accommodation, and budgeting yourself really carefully each month etc. However most students (about 77%) have a job so maybe you could consider that?

I hoped this helped in some way and good luck! (Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-33843987)

(Original post by k3ro)
    It's possible to live off the money from SF alone (it's what I did). Do you get the max amount? Just make sure you're sensible with your accommodation choice.
    I pretty much spent the least amount of money on accommodation. I think it's around £1190 per term. (There's three terms) The total I'll be getting is around £7000+ For this year.

(Original post by Keyhofi)
    How much a month do you have to live on?
    I don't know yet but I've posted how much I'll get in total! And the price of accommodation (post above)

(Original post by elena2710)
    I haven't gone to uni yet so I can't help you from a personal perspective however this is the average for UK students:

Students' annual living costs (outside London)
    Rent £4,989
    Food £1,954
    Household goods £363
    Insurance £42
    Personal Items £1,917
    Travel £1,705
    Leisure £1,190

Total: £12,160Source: National Union of Students

Your maintenance loan can be up to £5,555 outside London and £7,751 for students in London. If you are living outside of London that means you need an extra £6,605 each year, which suggests that you can't survive on just your loan?

Obviously though these are just an average and you definitely could reduce these by going out less, having the cheapest accommodation, and budgeting yourself really carefully each month etc. However most students (about 77%) have a job so maybe you could consider that?

I hoped this helped in some way and good luck! (Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-33843987)
    No I'm getting £7000+ because I come from a less well off family. I think it's the max. This has helped. I'm reading it again thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arfah)
    No I'm getting £7000+ because I come from a less well off family. I think it's the max. This has helped. I'm reading it again thanks!
    No problem and good luck again

I shall try getting a job but it seems so impossible 🙏🏼.

Omg I am screwed omg help

ReputationRep:
    It could be worth checking if there are any scholarships that you're eligible for if you haven't already.

(Original post by Spotted Monkey)
    It could be worth checking if there are any scholarships that you're eligible for if you haven't already.
    I checked and they don't give scholarships to law students but ill try for a sports scholarship.

ReputationRep:
    You should be okay, as you get loan and grant. I live off mine as my only source of main income to live at university. I work in summer holidays and have occasional term time work for the university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by arfah)
    Omg I am screwed omg help
    You get the same amount that I ve had for 2 years and I ve barely used my overdraft so I wouldn't panic yet

(Original post by claireestelle)
    You get the same amount that I ve had for 2 years and I ve barely used my overdraft so I wouldn't panic yet
    That's encouraging
    :jumphug:
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by arfah)
    That's encouraging
    :jumphug:
    Make yourself a budget for everything and I recon you ll be okay

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.