The Student Room Group

Imperial College medicine applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lerche
So did I, but when I asked them, they explained that the interviews will happen until the end of March and as they give around two weeks of notice before the interview, the invites will be given out until March. But I wouldn't be surprised if they gave out some offers before everyone is done with their interview!

Not sure who to believe anymore.. :/
Reply 761
Original post by swopnil
Not sure who to believe anymore.. :/

On the Imperial website they say they will inform applicants of their decision within two weeks of their interview.
Original post by hopefulmedic97
Had an interview yesterday and they said "we will let you know in 2 weeks". Do you think the result will be any sooner or is it in 2 weeks?

It can be earlier - I found out in just over a week when I applied.

EDIT: Post interview, this is. If only Medicine applications took just over a week to process. :moon:
Hi! Has anyone not heard back from imperial yet? I haven't had an interview or a rejection so don't really know what to think...
Original post by xsashax
Hi! Has anyone not heard back from imperial yet? I haven't had an interview or a rejection so don't really know what to think...

I'm in the same situation too, worried my bmat might just miss the cut off :frown:
Original post by Hopefulmedic15
A couple of people who had interviews on the 15th/16th of Dec had offers on the 18th (2-3 days later) but I think that's because they had academic scholarships as the majority have not heard back yet. Either way, 2 weeks is a very short period of time to wait!

Good luck :smile:

How do you get an academic scholarship?
Original post by lfcrules

Impress at interview, they have a box on their interview sheets that say whether they think you should get one.
Original post by lfcrules

I think if you've shown that you have excelled academically throughout your GCSEs and both years of your Alevels. The two people on here who've received it have pretty flawless academics.
Original post by not you
Impress at interview, they have a box on their interview sheets that say whether they think you should get one.

That's a different scholarship I think :P there are scholarships for interview performance and one for academic excellence iirc!

EDIT: yeah I just looked it up, there are 8 scholarships available for school leavers based on interview performance and there is one academic scholarship based on your academic history!
(edited 8 years ago)
That's a different scholarship I think :P there are scholarships for interview performance and one for academic excellence iirc!

Huh really, didn't know there was more than one option, only knew about the President's scholarship they emailed us about.
If that's the case then I'd love to get the academic scholarship since that would be the only reason for me to take Imperial over a Scottish medical school because £9k a year + £11k living expenses = poor student stereotype
Original post by not you
Huh really, didn't know there was more than one option, only knew about the President's scholarship they emailed us about.
If that's the case then I'd love to get the academic scholarship since that would be the only reason for me to take Imperial over a Scottish medical school because £9k a year + £11k living expenses = poor student stereotype

Here's the link to the ones available :smile: (based on interview performance)

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/medicine/study/undergraduate/scholarships/

Also, coming from Wales makes the tuition fees only about 3.8k a year (the rest is covered by the Welsh assembly :P) which isn't as daunting as 9k so I get why you would take it into consideration
(edited 8 years ago)
Here's the link to the ones available :smile: (based on interview performance)

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/medicine/study/undergraduate/scholarships/

Yeah I'm not counting on my interview alone being good enough for a scholarship, must have been the biggest amount of superficial bull**** I've ever said at an interview. I wonder if they can reallocate scholarships from the people who got awarded one but didn't firm Imperial, but probably not.
Original post by not you
Yeah I'm not counting on my interview alone being good enough for a scholarship, must have been the biggest amount of superficial bull**** I've ever said at an interview. I wonder if they can reallocate scholarships from the people who got awarded one but didn't firm Imperial, but probably not.

They nominate more than 8 people for the scholarships after the interview and then wait for you to firm the offer, then everyone must submit an 2000 (+/-10%) word limit essay on the topic they give you and then the best 8 are allocated the scholarships, which is a pretty intense process!
They nominate more than 8 people for the scholarships after the interview and then wait for you to firm the offer, then everyone must submit an 2000 (+/-10%) word limit essay on the topic they give you and then the best 8 are allocated the scholarships, which is a pretty intense process!

bleh essays, I was hoping I left those behind with Higher English last year. I guess they won't give out too many nominations since Imperial is a lot of peoples' first choice, although a lot of the best applicants at Imperial probably got offers from Oxbridge too. Wow it must suck to be an Imperial admissions tutor and have all your best applicants taken every year...
Original post by not you
bleh essays, I was hoping I left those behind with Higher English last year. I guess they won't give out too many nominations since Imperial is a lot of peoples' first choice, although a lot of the best applicants at Imperial probably got offers from Oxbridge too. Wow it must suck to be an Imperial admissions tutor and have all your best applicants taken every year...

I think it depends how you view it, it's more likely that the people awarded academic scholarships would get Oxbridge offers too but I'd say the better interview performers (hence got the interview performance scholarship) were the better applicants as being a doctor is more than just academics but about being well-rounded. It's also not unheard of for people to reject Oxbridge offers for imperial(/other unis in general) because the traditional course structure isn't that appealing for a lot of people and other unis offer more integrated courses :smile: (if you check out Cambridge's applicant thread, someone got an offer and is considering turning it down if they get one from Cardiff!)
Original post by plsgivemeanoffer
anyone know what the interview: offer ratio is like for imperial. Im getting pretty nervous because my Cardiff interview was awful, got rejected from sheffield and havent heard from UCL

May I ask what went so bad with your Cardiff Interview?? I'm super nervous as I wait for an interview offer!
Original post by Natalierose16
I'm in the same situation too, worried my bmat might just miss the cut off :frown:

yeah same, mine was a bit low but if it was that they would have rejected us already right?
Original post by xsashax
yeah same, mine was a bit low but if it was that they would have rejected us already right?

I think they put people into bands based on BMAT score, so if you haven't been rejected yet it's possible you're in one of the lower bands which is for borderline scores - kind of like a waiting list in case more spaces open up. May I ask what you got on your BMAT? Cut-off will probably be around 4.5 4.5 2.5B
I think it depends how you view it, it's more likely that the people awarded academic scholarships would get Oxbridge offers too but I'd say the better interview performers (hence got the interview performance scholarship) were the better applicants as being a doctor is more than just academics but about being well-rounded. It's also not unheard of for people to reject Oxbridge offers for imperial(/other unis in general) because the traditional course structure isn't that appealing for a lot of people and other unis offer more integrated courses :smile: (if you check out Cambridge's applicant thread, someone got an offer and is considering turning it down if they get one from Cardiff!)

Yeah I think you're right about better interviewees being the better applicants at Imperial, but a lot of the best interviewees are also the ones who got Oxbridge offers since they were very good at those interviews too.
Original post by phagocyte1998
I think they put people into bands based on BMAT score, so if you haven't been rejected yet it's possible you're in one of the lower bands which is for borderline scores - kind of like a waiting list in case more spaces open up. May I ask what you got on your BMAT? Cut-off will probably be around 4.5 4.5 2.5B

My bmat was 4.2 5.4 2.5B, do they take an average of the first two sections?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending