The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by *tango*
I've had 2 invitations but none on Track.

The uni's don't tend to put the interviews on to track it seems. I applied to 2 universities and 1 School's Direct programme, only the school changed track to say interview.

When it gets to conditional/unconditional offers they update the site.
Original post by jodiek28
Hi everyone. I am 28 next month, have 4 children and a BA Degree in Education studies 2:1. I applied for a PGCE at Winchester and Southampton 2 years ago and was unsuccessful in both :frown: I applied agaon this year along with a local Scitt course. Unfortunately I didn't make it through to the second day!! I feel so upset and terrified that this is going to be a repear of 2013. I have just received an interview for Southampton for the 1st of December and feel so scared of rejection- again! I must be awful at interview. Sorry for the depressing post but panicking. Any words of wisdom guys? Good luck to everyone who has secured their places x

No one goes into an interview without a few nerves, just realise the different aspects that Southampton are looking for... i.e. they want someone who seems committed, who is a good communicator, who doesn't give physical signs of being nervous (i.e. looking away all the time, not talking, biting nails/clothes)... but then on the flip side they want a team player (so someone who lets other people talk in the group interview, someone who is understanding of other people's points of views, and is accomodating).

Just go to the interview with confidence in yourself (work out why they should let you in - experience, knowledge of curriculum, knowledge that it is a hard course to complete and that teaching isn't easy... how to utilize the class and class room to your best ability, and what you would do if a lesson you had planned went wrong...) prepare yourself for their questions, but don't over prepare (you don't want to seem like you are just reciting answers which you wrote before)
Original post by jodiek28
Hi everyone. I am 28 next month, have 4 children and a BA Degree in Education studies 2:1. I applied for a PGCE at Winchester and Southampton 2 years ago and was unsuccessful in both :frown: I applied agaon this year along with a local Scitt course. Unfortunately I didn't make it through to the second day!! I feel so upset and terrified that this is going to be a repear of 2013. I have just received an interview for Southampton for the 1st of December and feel so scared of rejection- again! I must be awful at interview. Sorry for the depressing post but panicking. Any words of wisdom guys? Good luck to everyone who has secured their places x

NEVER apologise. I always fear rejection and you always feel so numb when it happens. However, no matter what course you're going to an interview for, always remember, as silly as it sounds, you're AWESOME and you can do it! I was up against people from Oxford, Cambridge and Warwick and there was STILL hope. You will always be told how competitive it is, and bear that in mind, but don't let it dominate your thoughts throughout your interview day because it will make you a nervous wreck.

So words of wisdom from a 20 year old female who felt she was going to break down and cry when I realised who I was up against at my UCL interview.
1). You have managed to get an interview, you have the necessary experience and skills so talk about that when you can.
2) Do not be intimidated by who you see on the day. Women and men can rock up with their fine suits and arrogant persona and appear to be the greatest thing to grace the earth, but YOU need to remember you have just the SAME opportunity as them, and you CAN do just as well as them. Walk into that interview with your head held high , your back straight and make out you're so confident even though you're trembling inside (I know I was).
3) Look and know your prep material, and when you are talking about it say it slowly and clearly. It is better to say a little that is clear, than a lot which is convoluted.
4) YOU ARE AWESOME, YOU CAN DO IT (wise wise words from my lecturer, she is a cutie).
(edited 8 years ago)
I've been given an unconditional offer!!!!!
Original post by charlottelxo7
I've been given an unconditional offer!!!!!

Wow congratulations! I take it you already have your degree? I didn't think unconditional offers were a thing with teacher training because you still need a DBS and fitness to teach etc.

You must be so chuffed!
Thank you to all those who replied to my message. I will keep calm and try my hardest to get a place. This is all I've ever wanted to do x
Original post by Aemiliana
Wow congratulations! I take it you already have your degree? I didn't think unconditional offers were a thing with teacher training because you still need a DBS and fitness to teach etc.

You must be so chuffed!

Yeah I graduated in 2014 and passed my skills tests last year. They said if I fail my DBS check then the will withdraw my offer but obviously I know that will come back okay.
I'm so excited, I just want to start now!
Original post by Hayleyppp
I felt exactly the same when I did my first interview at Roehampton! But it gets better, try and fail and try again, as they say

Did you get an offer for your Roehampton one then?
Original post by Bena0202
Did you get an offer for your Roehampton one then?

Nope, I was unsuccessful for Roehampton, I got an offer from UCL which was my second interview but first choice. So there is hope!!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by gentlegiant
So after yesterdays little update with my interview next tuesday and the unsuccessful application because the school direct place couldn't actually run the programme.
I just received an email from my 1st option, I have an interview on the 16th of December. Seriously a week before christmas.
I am so happy at the moment I'm bouncing around like my hyperactive niece. So if you can imagine a 6ft 3 rugby player bouncing around like a kid, thats me right now.

I hope everyone else is having alot of good news as well.

congrats!
Hi Everyone :smile:

I sent off my application last night and this afternoon got invited to interview at Cambridge!!!! eeeeep.

My interview is next Thursday, which is also the same day my essay is due in (I'm an anthropology masters student!) it's also at 9am, so gotta hand in my essay the day before and sleep on a friends sofa, double eeep! Despite all this chaos, I'm SO EXCITED. I have so much work on my plate, I just hope I can adequately prepare for it :frown:

Has anybody here interviewed for the Early Primary course? any tips on how to control your nerves!?

Good luck and a huge congrats to everyone! :smile:
I've had an unconditional offer!! I had to read over my Track a few times just incase I'd misread it!! I thought my interview had given terribly. I felt sure I'd be rejected and was all geared up for another interview next week as my one shot. And the unconditional offer is from my first choice!! So happy! And well done to all those I've seen have interviews/offers. Fab news all round xxxxxx
Hi,

Anyone received an interview for University of Birmingham Secondary English?
My interview invite was emailed today and I'm singlehandedly stressing myself out!
Anyone already been, who can lend advise? or just some general tips?

Escape...
Original post by sjla94
To those who have had their interviews, how did you prepare for it?

I personally researched current educational issues, did the task I was asked to do and practiced loads! I read my personal statement, practiced questions they could have asked me!!

Good luck :smile:
Hey guys

can anyone help with inclusion in education is it ok to talk about inclusion doesnt work sometimes and that some children need different environments so should i just talk about all the positives?!
Congrats! I went to the UCL interview yesterday and haven't heard back yet :s-smilie:. I am hoping the reason is because my name starts with S. I had Kingston today - eek fingers crossed! x
Original post by VicSheri
Congrats! I went to the UCL interview yesterday and haven't heard back yet :s-smilie:. I am hoping the reason is because my name starts with S. I had Kingston today - eek fingers crossed! x

Thank you! It is literally a waiting game. I would keep your eyes peeled tomorrow as I think that is when they would be sending out the e-mails if your interview was on Tuesday x
I have my skills tests tomorrow but the email I got for them lists address A but the list of centres online, which was last updated 2 days ago, lists it at address B and Learn Direct only list address B as one of their centres. Address A only opened this summer too...

Looks like I'm skiving my seminar tomorrow to walk to both addresses to find out where I'm meant to be. I guess at least it's good that they're close together/a train I'm taking anyway links them.
Original post by Adam020020
Yes interview there next month ... Which course you going for ?

Hi,

I had my interview email today for the 11th December when is yours?
Original post by Bena0202
I had my interview today and tbh the individual interview was so bad imo! The questions were nothing like the standard ones I had practised and I was completely thrown off guard! Im just waiting to see unsuccessful on my UCAS track any minute now tbh

That's exactly how I felt after my first interview and they did reject me almost right away. Don't let this knock your confidence, you've got a feel for it now and you'll be more prepared for the next one :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest