The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bena0202
Anybody applying to Kingston or going to the interview on Wednesday??

I applied to Kingston, had the interview a couple weeks ago and have a conditional place... did you want to ask anything in particular?
Original post by sjla94
What was the interview like in Rohemapton? I really want to go there because that's my undergraduate university!

The interview at Roehampton was very structured, yet ran over...
they were really chilled about the day, they'd planned a campus tour for like the first hour, ending in a chat about the course (with the woman basically stating that the university wanted us as much as we wanted them!), then we did the english "task" which had a 150 word writing task and a few spellings/grammar exercises, followed by the one-on-one interview (with the 5 of us in the same room at the same time for the interview, but the interviewers all seemed very nice and cheerful), finished with the group interview (a list of traits for a teacher which we had to put strongly agree to strongly disagree in a discussion)...
Any questions? :smile:
Hey,

Does anyone know how competitive and quickly English PGCE courses fill up? In particular the English PGCE offered by IOE (Institute of Education)?

My referee hasn't submitted the reference for over a month now... and they've contacted me to say "they will"...

Thanks,
SK
Reply 1943
When being offered an interview
what do I expect
i know some universities do group discussions etc
any tips on what i should prepare before hand please ???
Original post by AramH
When being offered an interview
what do I expect
i know some universities do group discussions etc
any tips on what i should prepare before hand please ???

Expect all sorts! Group/individual interviews, micro lessons, discussions, numeracy and literacy tests. Each is different. You'll get all the info from the provider once you've been asked to attend an interview.

Brush up on current educational issues and revise literacy and numeracy. I had an individual interview so I drew up a list of possible questions they would ask and answers. Needless to say, only two out of my predictions were actually asked but they were the generic "why do you want to teach, what skills do you have that you feel would make you a good teacher".

A friend of mine is a deputy head. She actually sat on a panel as an interviewer a few years ago (not at the uni where I had an interview) and she told me that they're not looking for somebody who knows it all; they're looking for somebody who shows genuine enthusiasm and passion for teaching and somebody they can mould and help develop into being a great teacher. I thought I massively messed up my interview through nerves and being asked questions I hadn't prepared for but I must've done something right as I've accepted a place there.

I would definitely read as much as You can about current educational news, and prepare as best as you can without being too over-rehearsed. They want you as much as you want them and that seems to be a common theme with these interviews. They try to keep things informal so the candidates don't feel the pressure but it is hard not to be nervous and we want this so much! Keep smiling and be confident - remember, they chose you to be there!

Best of luck 👍
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MandaTreb
I applied to Kingston, had the interview a couple weeks ago and have a conditional place... did you want to ask anything in particular?

Oh brill! What kind of questions were in the maths test and what questions did they ask? And also how many people were there?
So both my school direct interviews for School Direct English secondary were successful! But both now require second interviews, one with the associated university and one in the particular school (it is a federation). Upping my carbon footprint even more.

Have other people had second interviews for School Direct?

I now also have the potential dilemma of choosing between an Academy or a Foundation school. I was originally keen on the latter but I have to say I got a very good impression from the Academy yesterday. Do other people have thoughts regarding this?

And an interview with a third school next Friday!! Exciting times!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Just searched for vacancies as I haven't got my application in yet. , was hoping to apply to IOE but it says no vacancies 😁 anyone else hoping to apply there but not got it in yet?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by martyncooper
So both my school direct interviews for School Direct English secondary were successful! But both now require second interviews, one with the associated university and one in the particular school (it is a federation). Upping my carbon footprint even more.

Have other people had second interviews for School Direct?

I now also have the potential dilemma of choosing between an Academy or a Foundation school. I was originally keen on the latter but I have to say I got a very good impression from the Academy yesterday. Do other people have thoughts regarding this?

And an interview with a third school next Friday!! Exciting times!!

Well done! Just go with your instinct or write a pros/cons list. Writing out the benefits and drawbacks of all your choices might make things clearer for you.
Original post by Bena0202
Oh brill! What kind of questions were in the maths test and what questions did they ask? And also how many people were there?

I applied to Kingston last year & got a place. The maths test had a lot of algebra, shapes and percentages. All the best! x
Have been trying to get in touch with my uni personal tutor for a reference for a few weeks now!!! Application has been ready with my other reference for a couple of weeks and it's so frustrating!

The annoying thing is that I applied late last year and she attached and completed my reference within 10 minutes! I've even called UCAS and got a copy of that reference and it's a really good one!

I've emailed another tutor now to see what she recommend to do
Original post by kizzz!
Have been trying to get in touch with my uni personal tutor for a reference for a few weeks now!!! Application has been ready with my other reference for a couple of weeks and it's so frustrating!

The annoying thing is that I applied late last year and she attached and completed my reference within 10 minutes! I've even called UCAS and got a copy of that reference and it's a really good one!

I've emailed another tutor now to see what she recommend to do

I'm still waiting for one reference and just checked he uni I want to apply to it's now showing no vacancies 😒
Reply 1952
Original post by magicmaiden
Expect all sorts! Group/individual interviews, micro lessons, discussions, numeracy and literacy tests. Each is different. You'll get all the info from the provider once you've been asked to attend an interview.

Brush up on current educational issues and revise literacy and numeracy. I had an individual interview so I drew up a list of possible questions they would ask and answers. Needless to say, only two out of my predictions were actually asked but they were the generic "why do you want to teach, what skills do you have that you feel would make you a good teacher".

A friend of mine is a deputy head. She actually sat on a panel as an interviewer a few years ago (not at the uni where I had an interview) and she told me that they're not looking for somebody who knows it all; they're looking for somebody who shows genuine enthusiasm and passion for teaching and somebody they can mould and help develop into being a great teacher. I thought I massively messed up my interview through nerves and being asked questions I hadn't prepared for but I must've done something right as I've accepted a place there.

I would definitely read as much as You can about current educational news, and prepare as best as you can without being too over-rehearsed. They want you as much as you want them and that seems to be a common theme with these interviews. They try to keep things informal so the candidates don't feel the pressure but it is hard not to be nervous and we want this so much! Keep smiling and be confident - remember, they chose you to be there!

Best of luck 👍

Thank you ever so much for giving me a proper insight
Appreciate it and I sure will take on board what you said
Cheers again
Original post by carolineherts
I'm still waiting for one reference and just checked he uni I want to apply to it's now showing no vacancies 😒

Frustrating, isn't it?! One of my school directs is also showing as no vacancies.

More so the fact that I have a copy of the reference saved and all that needs doing is attaching on!
Original post by Sekonda
Hey,

Does anyone know how competitive and quickly English PGCE courses fill up? In particular the English PGCE offered by IOE (Institute of Education)?

My referee hasn't submitted the reference for over a month now... and they've contacted me to say "they will"...

Thanks,
SK

Hi,

I've applied for PGCE English too, and they're pretty full I had one University which withdrew me from the application process citing that they had reached a limit on applicant intakes. Luckily I was still within a week of submitting my application so I changed it to Leicester University.

However, if you take a look on the course list there are still a lot of Universities with vacancies. I just don't know how accurate this may be as the University which withdrew was still on that list.

Hope this helps,

Escape...
Super annoyed!

UoB sent an email bringing forward my interview date from the 11th to the 4th.
Anyone else in the same boat?

Escape...
Passed my skills test today! Super happy as I was nervous. My advice would be to practice using the ones on the skills test website.
Original post by Escape...
Super annoyed!

UoB sent an email bringing forward my interview date from the 11th to the 4th.
Anyone else in the same boat?

Escape...

As in University of Bristol?
Original post by BelleCL
Passed my skills test today! Super happy as I was nervous. My advice would be to practice using the ones on the skills test website.

Nice one...
Original post by Lambert87
As in University of Bristol?

University of Birmingham! Sorry

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending