Turn on thread page Beta

How to organise your notes in A-level effectively? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone

I'm starting sixth form in September and I've been doing a lot of reading on it just to prepare myself. Many people have said to 'stay organised' etc. and why it's important. I'm just curious as to how you guys organised your work in sixth form.Like did you have a ring binder just for the lessons and then one big folder at home or did you just use a notebook for the lesson instead? etc.

I'm just really interested in knowing how you guys did it and how effective it was for you because this year I really want to try and stay on top of my work.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Have a folder for every single subject so you can put notes made in lessons plus any other handouts given to you. Also keep a revision folder either for all subjects or each individual one and add to it throughout the year so you have something to work on when you come to revise. Also a really important piece of advice i got given at the start of year 12 that i failed to do was to REVIEW your work each day after school. Come home and just make simple notes of what you did each lesson....it will help soooo much!!!

All in all dont stress, sleep lots and just enjoy yourself

ReputationRep:
    I kept notebooks where I rewrote/redrew all the content from lessons. It was quite handy - didn't need to carry folders and binders around, it was my preferred method to keep organised.
    The silly mistakes I did do though was not putting dates on any handouts I received. Was a bit of a mess sometimes when I wanted to write the stuff over into my book and some odd part was missing, or it was hard to tell where it belongs.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    At the start of Year 12 I had A4 lever-arch folders for each subject that I took to school each day to make sure I had everything - this was useful but after a while it became tedious to carry them everywhere, and more often than not I didn't need previous work each lesson. So what I started to do (and continued to do until the end of sixth form), was take in plastic wallets for each subject with the necessary homework in as well as anything the teacher asked for (sometimes they'll remind you to bring something from a previous lesson if you're going over it again/revising). Then at the end of the lesson I put everything into the wallet and when I got home I'd sort things out into my huge folders, making sure that everything was arranged by topic. As long as you do this at the end of each day and don't let the work build up in plastic wallets in your bag, it can be quite useful, particularly if you also have loads of textbooks to bring each day (which aren't fun to carry around anyway, so with huge folders it's even worse and better to keep the folders at home!)

I also created a revision ring-binder with condensed notes that I used in my free periods if I wanted to revise. Rather than bringing everything into sixth form when I knew I wouldn't be revising everything, before setting off I planned out the revision I'd be doing and just took that. Sometimes just focusing on a few smaller topics is better than trying to go through everything and getting overwhelmed by it all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dougieowner)
    At the start of Year 12 I had A4 lever-arch folders for each subject that I took to school each day to make sure I had everything - this was useful but after a while it became tedious to carry them everywhere, and more often than not I didn't need previous work each lesson. So what I started to do (and continued to do until the end of sixth form), was take in plastic wallets for each subject with the necessary homework in as well as anything the teacher asked for (sometimes they'll remind you to bring something from a previous lesson if you're going over it again/revising). Then at the end of the lesson I put everything into the wallet and when I got home I'd sort things out into my huge folders, making sure that everything was arranged by topic. As long as you do this at the end of each day and don't let the work build up in plastic wallets in your bag, it can be quite useful, particularly if you also have loads of textbooks to bring each day (which aren't fun to carry around anyway, so with huge folders it's even worse and better to keep the folders at home!)

I also created a revision ring-binder with condensed notes that I used in my free periods if I wanted to revise. Rather than bringing everything into sixth form when I knew I wouldn't be revising everything, before setting off I planned out the revision I'd be doing and just took that. Sometimes just focusing on a few smaller topics is better than trying to go through everything and getting overwhelmed by it all
    I'm starting Sixth Form in Sep 2015, and this is what I am planning to do. Is this a good idea? Did it work for you? Are there any downfalls?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sixthform98)
    Hey everyone

I'm starting sixth form in September and I've been doing a lot of reading on it just to prepare myself. Many people have said to 'stay organised' etc. and why it's important. I'm just curious as to how you guys organised your work in sixth form.Like did you have a ring binder just for the lessons and then one big folder at home or did you just use a notebook for the lesson instead? etc.

I'm just really interested in knowing how you guys did it and how effective it was for you because this year I really want to try and stay on top of my work.
    Thank you
    I had a seperate folder for each usbject, sometimes even 2 folders if I had a lot of work. I had one folder where I put little bits from each subject that i thought I needed for the day. Sometimes, however, i did have to bring my whole subject folder. I always liked to have more notes than necessary anyway as I would look through them in my free periods.

I had a checklist sheet at the start of each module which helped me make sure that I have everything I need.

You will definitely need the biggest folder you can find for each subject, and a big bag which would fit at least 2 folders

ReputationRep:
    I'm also starting year 12 in September. I'm planning to get smaller folders to take into sixth form and keep all the work from the current module in that, then leave bigger folders for each subject at home. Then at the end of each module, I can file all of the work into place in the bigger folder. Means my day-to-day bag will be far lighter as I will only have to take smaller folders in. I hope this helps, good luck with year 12!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NiamhGibson)
    I'm also starting year 12 in September. I'm planning to get smaller folders to take into sixth form and keep all the work from the current module in that, then leave bigger folders for each subject at home. Then at the end of each module, I can file all of the work into place in the bigger folder. Means my day-to-day bag will be far lighter as I will only have to take smaller folders in. I hope this helps, good luck with year 12!
    I've bought a Constantine folder (a collapsible one) which I'll keep a module for each subject in, as well as any revision which I'll then transfer to each individual lever arch file.
    Hope it works for us both!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by jadesimran)
    I'm starting Sixth Form in Sep 2015, and this is what I am planning to do. Is this a good idea? Did it work for you? Are there any downfalls?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Everything I recommended in my post worked for me! But you might have to adapt things to your own style of learning too
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by NiamhGibson)
    Snap, this is what i did for GCSE so im hoping it will work 4 A level 2

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting Sixth Form in September too

Ok, so I've thought long and hard about this & this is what I'm going to do:

> Have 4 separate folders for each subject to keep at home.

> Have 4 notebooks to take to school.

> A folder (to also take to school) with 4 plastic wallets at the back for hand outs in each subject which I would be transferring to the folders at home. I will also use 4 dividers (for each subject, you get the idea lol) with lots of spare paper, so during study periods if I feel like it I can re write the notes neatly to then later transfer to the folders at home- saving a lot of time. Oh, and I'll also have a plastic wallet at the front for homework

> And obviously regular stationary.

Hope this helps!

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.