pegateg
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi there I am a 4th year student studying social sciences, with particular focus on sociology and psychology, so this is my dissertation year and i,m hitting a serious panic stage as I still have no idea what to do my dissertation on. I had originally wanted to do it on the sexualisation of children with regards to mass media print and the portrayal of woman in todays society, however I quickly found this idea had been done several hundred times over and I need to bring something new and interesting to the table. I also looked at sexual behaviour in children as the topic fascinates me, however i feel a bit lost with this topic as it is a completely new area for me. These two topics would have been literature reviews as a posed to experiments, i,m now wondering if it would be easier to do an experiment? I really need some guidance as to how to pick a topic that is going to be interesting, doable, ethically appropriate and most of all fill a gap in the current knowledge which is what i am struggling with the most, any other ideas i have had have been quashed because they have all been done before. Any help on this would be very much appreciated
JumpingFun
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by pegateg)
Hi there I am a 4th year student studying social sciences, with particular focus on sociology and psychology, so this is my dissertation year and i,m hitting a serious panic stage as I still have no idea what to do my dissertation on. I had originally wanted to do it on the sexualisation of children with regards to mass media print and the portrayal of woman in todays society, however I quickly found this idea had been done several hundred times over and I need to bring something new and interesting to the table. I also looked at sexual behaviour in children as the topic fascinates me, however i feel a bit lost with this topic as it is a completely new area for me. These two topics would have been literature reviews as a posed to experiments, i,m now wondering if it would be easier to do an experiment? I really need some guidance as to how to pick a topic that is going to be interesting, doable, ethically appropriate and most of all fill a gap in the current knowledge which is what i am struggling with the most, any other ideas i have had have been quashed because they have all been done before. Any help on this would be very much appreciated
You can get some topic suggestions here - http://goo.gl/RHXaS5. You don't have to get it done there, but they can give you some ideas if you place an inquiry. That's what I did. They asked some of their writers to give suggestions and then I just use the topic I liked most. Good luck!
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Have you been assigned a supervisor you can ask for guidance? Or another lecturer? Unless it's a PhD I didn't think degrees had to add 'new knowledge'?

If there is as much information on your proposed topics as you suggest perhaps you could do a literature review of the current level of knowledge and understanding of a particular segment?
Chocolatesoup
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by pegateg)
I found it helpful to look on news websites and see what's being discussed/hot topics right now. An example could be child sexting and moral panics? But yeah I found the news helpful and full of lots of ideas.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (4)
57.14%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (2)
28.57%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (1)
14.29%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (0)
0%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (0)
0%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (0)
0%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (0)
0%

Watched Threads