Turn on thread page Beta

Is it fine if I am not taking Maths in A-level? watch

ReputationRep:
    I am currently confused by whether I should take Maths in A-level. Is it ok if I didn't take Maths? (My maths sucks) I am going to pick History, Economics, Chinese Language and English Language in my A-level. I think I am going to pick law or translation in university.

ReputationRep:
    Don't want to sound like captain obvious but how much advanced maths will you actually be doing in a law/translation degree?

ReputationRep:
    Have a look on some unis websites to see what exact A-levels they want for thier degree, i think you should be ok with your degree choice but its good to check incase theres something you didnt think of. However though i think economics has quite a lot of maths in it so mabey think about that if you really dont like math.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Computer Geek)
    Don't want to sound like captain obvious but how much advanced maths will you actually be doing in a law/translation degree?
    According to my understanding, it's actually not nessisary to have math. But I wanted to know will it be better if I have math...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Computer Geek)
    Alot, i heard there's some paraboloid implicit differentiation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SCAR H)
    Alot, i heard there's some paraboloid implicit differentiation
    Oh so A Level stuff then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emilywong)
    According to my understanding, it's actually not nessisary to have math. But I wanted to know will it be better if I have math...
    It isn't. It won't be better

ReputationRep:
    I think I am going to pick law or translation in university.
    If you are going to choose law to do at University then Maths is not a requirement, however it can help you as it is highly regarded by Universities. I am pretty sure there is no subject requirements at all for doing Law at Universities, but doing subjects like History and English Language/Literature will help you, economics too.

Translation I can not help you with, sorry.

Don't do Critical thinking or general studies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    It isn't. It won't be better
    Maths can really help students who are looking to go into Law. Sure they may not be using algebra and sin, cos and tan for their Law course, but taking Maths is highly regarded by Universities and shows the University that a student is good at problem solving and many other skills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AGalletly;[url="tel:58832383")
    58832383[/url]]If you are going to choose law to do at University then Maths is not a requirement, however it can help you as it is highly regarded by Universities. I am pretty sure there is no subject requirements at all for doing Law at Universities, but doing subjects like History and English Language/Literature will help you, economics too.

Translation I can not help you with, sorry.

Don't do Critical thinking or general studies
    Yup I agree with you. But considering my math is really not that good and I have almost failed all my maths exam in school, I think it's better if I skip math 🙈🙈

ReputationRep:
    Yup I agree with you. But considering my math is really not that good and I have almost failed all my maths exam in school, I think it's better if I skip math 🙈🙈
    That would be wise

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.