Turn on thread page Beta

Hello,

I just received an email about this "buddy scheme" and was not sure if I should apply or not.Did you apply? And If you're already studying at Kent, did you apply or didn't you when you first started and how was it like?

Cheers !

ReputationRep:
    I'm not an international student (I assume it's still just for internationals?) but I was a buddy last year. I think this year they're trying to make it more interactive and get buddies to meet up properly with social events because last year I never met my buddy, and I don't know anyone who did.

I just emailed my buddy to let them know about events on campus or in town, a few good places to go, just to get them started settling in and encouraging new students to mix and join societies and teams. It's obviously a personal choice and it's what you make of it but you can always join it and then stop contact if you don't feel like you need it, and I'm sure if you need help later on they'll probably set you up with someone even if you say no!

Basically it depends on how confident you feel at meeting new people and being in a strange place. It's like making friends with someone who already has a year or two experience of uni life and life in Kent.

(Original post by jtf13)
    I'm not an international student (I assume it's still just for internationals?) but I was a buddy last year. I think this year they're trying to make it more interactive and get buddies to meet up properly with social events because last year I never met my buddy, and I don't know anyone who did.

I just emailed my buddy to let them know about events on campus or in town, a few good places to go, just to get them started settling in and encouraging new students to mix and join societies and teams. It's obviously a personal choice and it's what you make of it but you can always join it and then stop contact if you don't feel like you need it, and I'm sure if you need help later on they'll probably set you up with someone even if you say no!

Basically it depends on how confident you feel at meeting new people and being in a strange place. It's like making friends with someone who already has a year or two experience of uni life and life in Kent.
    Thanks alot for you answer !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkRhinos)
    Thanks alot for you answer !
    hey i applied for the buddy system. im not shy about making friends but i applied cuz ive never been to kent and i really don't know where places are. also im classed as an international student but ive lived in the UK half of my life i just gotta pay overseas fee

(Original post by lizzieA123)
    hey i applied for the buddy system. im not shy about making friends but i applied cuz ive never been to kent and i really don't know where places are. also im classed as an international student but ive lived in the UK half of my life i just gotta pay overseas fee
    Hey that's great!
    Paying the overseas fee sucks though as it's £12890 instead of £9000 and I guess I'm subject to it as well as I am Swiss...( switzerland is not in the EU).

What nationality are you?

ReputationRep:
    Hey that's great!
    Paying the overseas fee sucks though as it's £12890 instead of £9000 and I guess I'm subject to it as well as I am Swiss...( switzerland is not in the EU).

What nationality are you?
    Trust me I know how u feel especially cuz I didn't know I had to pay overseas fee because I've lived in the UK since I was 9 but my immigration status means I'm an international student but I just thank God my family could help pay and I'm Nigerian

(Original post by lizzieA123)
    Trust me I know how u feel especially cuz I didn't know I had to pay overseas fee because I've lived in the UK since I was 9 but my immigration status means I'm an international student but I just thank God my family could help pay and I'm Nigerian
    Lol, the struggle is real bro! Thinking about applying to this buddy scheme now, thank you for your replies

ReputationRep:
    Lol, the struggle is real bro! Thinking about applying to this buddy scheme now, thank you for your replies
    Lool trust me and yeah I think I should 😀

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.