Turn on thread page Beta

A level choices- Graphic design or Psychology watch

ReputationRep:
    Currently I'm going into year 11 and have started my personal statement and am looking to apply for sixth forms.
    I aim to be a psychologist/psychiatrist (not sure which as of yet, likely the latter) so I will be taking Biology, Chemistry and Maths

Initially I chose Graphic design to be my last choice but some say, since I aim to go into psychology, to take a psychology course.
    Personally I don't mind either and at first I was going to choose psychology but then I ended up writing about graphic design in my personal statement.
    I haven't taken either for GCSE (not even art) so doing it at A-level will be new.
    Since whichever one of these two topics I chose will be dropped I am stuck as to which topic I do- Graphic design where I can try to develop my skills in my hobby of digital art and design or psychology which may help me for the future as extra learning and not something I terribly need for my chosen career.

Basically I wanted to ask which seems better (especially considering Biology, chemistry and maths will be a big workload) and also about the highlights/lowlights of both/either courses.

(Original post by Ai-Kurrikku)
    Currently I'm going into year 11 and have started my personal statement and am looking to apply for sixth forms.
    I aim to be a psychologist/psychiatrist (not sure which as of yet, likely the latter) so I will be taking Biology, Chemistry and Maths

Initially I chose Graphic design to be my last choice but some say, since I aim to go into psychology, to take a psychology course.
    Personally I don't mind either and at first I was going to choose psychology but then I ended up writing about graphic design in my personal statement.
    I haven't taken either for GCSE (not even art) so doing it at A-level will be new.
    Since whichever one of these two topics I chose will be dropped I am stuck as to which topic I do- Graphic design where I can try to develop my skills in my hobby of digital art and design or psychology which may help me for the future as extra learning and not something I terribly need for my chosen career.

Basically I wanted to ask which seems better (especially considering Biology, chemistry and maths will be a big workload) and also about the highlights/lowlights of both/either courses.
    Graphics design though I think it shouldnt be is very constrained you wont get to explore what you enjoy doing you will be told to do what they want you to do and you dont get to be very creative,

I would choose psychology especially as you havent done it before just so you can get some of the basics about the subject and confirm you definitely want to study it for 3 years at uni
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Ai-Kurrikku)

Psychology does seem to be the better choice simply because you want to go into that field in the future. It will give you the understanding you need.

Can you possibly change one of your other options for graphics? It may still be difficult because you haven't studied it in GCSE...but it's quite different and allows you to explore the art.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I would recommend choosing psychology. It will give you background information and maybe help confirm whether you actually enjoy the subject (3 years in uni and a career is quite a commitment!). You'll also get to know the teacher, who can help with a psychology themed personal statement

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.