Turn on thread page Beta

How do people learn so many things and still manage to remember everything? watch

ReputationRep:
    In subjects where you are required to learn an awful lot of information, how do people still manage to learn and remember everything for the exam when the time comes?

Me for instants, I will study for 3-4 hours on one day, finish chapter 1 - 2. Then, 1 week later once I am on chapter 7, I will end up forgetting everything I did in chapter 1-2 and I feel demotivated to go back cause I put in so many hours to learn all of chapter 1 and 2.

Any tips or information to help me finally crack the puzzle I always needed to succeed.

Kind regards.

ReputationRep:
    Learning something isn't like building something, where once you've finished that's it. It's a skill, like a sport or a musical instrument. Don't think that just because you've 'learnt' chapter 1 one day means you never have to go back to it. Go over it for the first time (not for 3-4 hours), and then come back to it a few days later, and then a few days after that. You should find that by the 3rd time you'll need to spend less time learning it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by around)
    Learning something isn't like building something, where once you've finished that's it. It's a skill, like a sport or a musical instrument. Don't think that just because you've 'learnt' chapter 1 one day means you never have to go back to it. Go over it for the first time (not for 3-4 hours), and then come back to it a few days later, and then a few days after that. You should find that by the 3rd time you'll need to spend less time learning it.
    Wow dude! You truly made more sense than all my teachers in past 10 years xD I really want to try this out. Thank you so so much for the advise!

Just one question. Do you think that if I engage your method of learning, I would spend less time going back to the things I already learn't (future wise for other subjects)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilseez)
    In subjects where you are required to learn an awful lot of information, how do people still manage to learn and remember everything for the exam when the time comes?

Me for instants, I will study for 3-4 hours on one day, finish chapter 1 - 2. Then, 1 week later once I am on chapter 7, I will end up forgetting everything I did in chapter 1-2 and I feel demotivated to go back cause I put in so many hours to learn all of chapter 1 and 2.

Any tips or information to help me finally crack the puzzle I always needed to succeed.

Kind regards.
    So what you're saying is when you study things you don't make notes to summarise the key points?.....if that's the case, I think that's your problem there mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MAINE.)
    So what you're saying is when you study things you don't make notes to summarise the key points?.....if that's the case, I think that's your problem there mate.
    May I ask how do you personally do that? How do I pick up key points?

ReputationRep:
    I did the same as you but for one night a week I would spend a few hours skim reading everything I went over, it really works and you feel motivated when you actually remember something you thought you forgot

ReputationRep:
    some people have a photographic memory so they can pick up on and remember minor details such as what i can do but there isn't really any fast way of sharpening and honing that skill

ReputationRep:
    I revised for 12-13 hours the day before before my AS tests because I barely revised at all leading up to them, I got fairly okay(ish) results of ABD. For some people information can just stick way faster and for longer than other people :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.