The Student Room Group

MPhil/MSc in Advanced Chemical Engineering - competitive application?

Hello,

I have just completed my first year of BEng Chemical Engineering at University of Bradford. I am currently on track for a first and was interested in the MPhil in Advanced Chemical Engineering at Cambridge course or the MSc in Advanced Chemical Engineering course at Imperial College.

I have a few questions:

1) How much of an impact will the ranking of my university and previous qualifications (such as GCSEs and A-Levels) have on my application to these highly competitive unis?

2) How else can I work on ensuring I make a very competitive application? I understand a first class degree almost has to be a 'given' in my scenario, but is that really enough? Also will I have to have a very strong first class and not just scrape?

Thank you for taking the time.
The ranking of your uni won't have an impact. Your GCSEs or A levels may, depending on the uni but I doubt it.

A good first class is always good esp if you're applying to Cambridge but most places will say first or 2.1 so you should be ok if you just scrape a first. Try and get some work or research experience in the field.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending