Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Recently received my GCSE results and got 10.5A*s, 1A and 1B. Just wanted to know how my chances stand for medicine at oxbridge? Will the B haunt me (french year 9) and will the half course A* count? Also what course would you say for medicine is better- oxford's or cambridge's?

Also, I have posted this a couple of times but didn't get any replies so I would be grateful for a reply...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hahahahaha123)
    Hey guys,

Recently received my GCSE results and got 10.5A*s, 1A and 1B. Just wanted to know how my chances stand for medicine at oxbridge? Will the B haunt me (french year 9) and will the half course A* count? Also what course would you say for medicine is better- oxford's or cambridge's?

Also, I have posted this a couple of times but didn't get any replies so I would be grateful for a reply...
    Yes, your GCSE's are fine, my friend actually applied for Cambridge and she had 1 B like you and just left it off her application (she thought it ruined the look off all her other grades being A's). Yes, of course the half course counts towards something, it shows you are a little bit more rounded, in another subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayley Williams)
    Yes, your GCSE's are fine, my friend actually applied for Cambridge and she had 1 B like you and just left it off her application (she thought it ruined the look off all her other grades being A's). Yes, of course the half course counts towards something, it shows you are a little bit more rounded, in another subject.
    Don't you have to declare every grade? And I'm not sure how it works but would they see the development considering I got the B in year 9 and year 10/year 11 were all A*-A? And thank God for the hapf course!!!! Also considering I come from a deprived borough, will the GCSEs look even better?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't you have to declare every grade? And I'm not sure how it works but would they see the development considering I got the B in year 9 and year 10/year 11 were all A*-A? And thank God for the hapf course!!!! Also considering I come from a deprived borough, will the GCSEs look even better?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well she didn't and i know lot's of people that have done this, i think it's on AS results where this rule is enforced. Yes, oxford look at where you got your GCSE's as well, so 9A*'s from a "bad" school look better than 12A*'s from a top school were everyone got those grades, kind of unfair, but it could be an advantage to you.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Hey guys,

Recently received my GCSE results and got 10.5A*s, 1A and 1B. Just wanted to know how my chances stand for medicine at oxbridge? Will the B haunt me (french year 9) and will the half course A* count?
    Oxford releases GCSE stats and clearly states their selection policy here.

Cambridge focuses less on GCSEs and more on AS UMS scores, which should be above 90 (ideally >92).

Also what course would you say for medicine is better- oxford's or cambridge's?
    There is lots of information out there to help you decide. Why don't you have a look on their respective websites/prospectuses and decide for yourself?

The main factors to consider when choosing med school is the teaching style (which can be very varied), and whether you will get in or not (>60% don't get any offers so wasting even one choice isn't really an option).

Don't you have to declare every grade?
    Yes. Not doing so is fraud and could get your UCAS application removed entirely

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Do a levels first...

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.