The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Is it worth applying to Edinburgh?

My GCSEs are okay. I got 6 A*, 5 A, 1 B and 1 C.

My AS results are AAAB and A* in EPQ. I'm taking on the subjects I got AAB in (most relevant for my course) to A2 and will be predicted AAA*. Will my GCSEs or B at AS let me down? I'm applying to geology and the average offer is AAA. Also how do Russell group unis in general feel about AS module resits, as I want to resit one of my chemistry exams to boost my UMS? Thanks so much :smile:
Original post by dixietrix
My GCSEs are okay. I got 6 A*, 5 A, 1 B and 1 C.

My AS results are AAAB and A* in EPQ. I'm taking on the subjects I got AAB in (most relevant for my course) to A2 and will be predicted AAA*. Will my GCSEs or B at AS let me down? I'm applying to geology and the average offer is AAA. Also how do Russell group unis in general feel about AS module resits, as I want to resit one of my chemistry exams to boost my UMS? Thanks so much :smile:

Definitely worth applying to Edinburgh. My GCSE's were horrendous ( 1 A*, 3 A, 5 B and 1 C) but I got AAAA at AS and was predicted A*A*A for A2. I ended up with a BBB offer. In turns out that Edinburgh has adapted their policies to incorporate a wider range of students and not be so tough on GCSE's. Idk about your course, but for mine it says under typical offers: AAA (to applicants who have achieved a strong set of GCSE A* grades).

So you're likely to get an offer as long as you nail your personal statement etc, but expect an AAA offer which you'll have to get next year.

Russell group unis, in fact, most unis, don't care much about your UMS at all since they won't know about it unless you choose to put it on your UCAS application. The exception is Cambridge, who send a separate questionnaire asking for your UMS. Also, 'Russell group unis' vary in requirements, ranging from ABB at somewhere like Sheffield to A*AA at Oxbridge; unless you're going for the latter, a resit isn't needed unless you want to boost your overall predicted grade too.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2

Quick Reply

Latest