Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone did GCSE science today? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undry1)
    erm, 5 marks tho
    Yeah obviously that isn't it all. Firstly it is filtered out of blood into the nephron via. Ultrafiltration. As Glucose is a small molecule all of it does this. Then the capillaries continue down by the side of the Nephron, down the Loop of Henle, and here it is reabsorbed into the bloodstream. The Pancreas and the Liver together regulate blood sugar levels - not the Kidney.

What did you write for where is the temperature regulator in the body?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    I did that one! The Lung cancer **** was easy, but the pig question... I was confused. :confused:
    i got it wrong...i put it was measuring thickness (wrong). my m8 said he put that the oscillascope was measuring TIME which annoyed me coz i never thought of that. apart from that - reading the revision guide i got virtually everything else right im very chuffed.

ReputationRep:
    I did Edexcel science gcse today and i thought it was quite easy. Biology and chemistry was easy, physics was the hardest.

ReputationRep:
    Cool, did u do modular B?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samdavyson)
    Yeah obviously that isn't it all. Firstly it is filtered out of blood into the nephron via. Ultrafiltration. As Glucose is a small molecule all of it does this. Then the capillaries continue down by the side of the Nephron, down the Loop of Henle, and here it is reabsorbed into the bloodstream. The Pancreas and the Liver together regulate blood sugar levels - not the Kidney.

What did you write for where is the temperature regulator in the body?
    Actually, point R was before the Loop of Henle. I think the Loop of Henle is where lots of water is re-absorbed, though I'm not sure...

For the temperature regular question, I said the brain. lol, where else would it be...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    Actually, point R was before the Loop of Henle. I think the Loop of Henle is where lots of water is re-absorbed, though I'm not sure...

For the temperature regular question, I said the brain. lol, where else would it be...
    The second coiled tube is where most water is reabsorbed. The brain and skin detects temperature which affects the pituary gland to stimulate the release of ADH when your body is low on water.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by damaster275)
    Cool, did u do modular B?
    I had 3 seperate papers, there were 4B, 4P and 4C. It said modular science B.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know how infra red rays are good for the treatment of muscles? and chemical reaction between bromine water and ethene? Been searching through my revision book and cant find anything on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrJackal)
    The second coiled tube is where most water is reabsorbed. The brain and skin detects temperature which affects the pituary gland to stimulate the release of ADH when your body is low on water.
    seems u did really well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cloudey)
    i got it wrong...i put it was measuring thickness (wrong). my m8 said he put that the oscillascope was measuring TIME which annoyed me coz i never thought of that. apart from that - reading the revision guide i got virtually everything else right im very chuffed.
    I put measuring ultrasound waves! Hehe, I didn't know what I was talking about.

The cloning question, the microwave question, the diamond question where you had to draw the electrons (I only drew 6, and there should have been thirty!) the factors of photosynthesis and the particles of alpha have been mucked up by me. But apart from those, I'm quite chuffed too like you! Let's hope there isn't too many chuffed people though, grade boundaries increase.

ReputationRep:
    I have got ocr double award tomorrow. Does anyone know the grade boundaries for higher tier and foundation tier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by damaster275)
    Anyone know how infra red rays are good for the treatment of muscles? and chemical reaction between bromine water and ethene? Been searching through my revision book and cant find anything on it.
    Infra red rays speeds the the enzymes in the muscles which treats the muscle because it causes the cells to do mitosis faster and for ethene + Bromine i think it's c2H4 + Br2 = C2H4Br2 Dunno if it's right though.

ReputationRep:
    LOL The Microwave question, I just put a load of crpa about how the micro waves just heat the foood as it spins round! Should get 1 or 2 points I think

I was really surprised with the waves and radiation topics, I was expecting a 'join the pictures to the type of wave' question

ReputationRep:
    the microwave works by emmiting micro-waves onto the food, where the water molecules absorb the waves and this causes them to vibrate, creating heat which cooks the food.

the diamond question i just put about 'giant ionic structures' and how densly packed the carbon is and how the bonds are so densely squeezed in that heat cannot penetrate so easily

The photosynthesis i just put CO2 as a guess because it was a 'hot sunny day' so i assumed the plant would get warmth and light anyway. the CO2 would be argued over more because they all wanted to perform lots of photosynthesis

I screwed up the shell one also i did oxygen instead of carbon i feel so stupid.

the alpha one i just put that it is helium nucleus with 2 protons ,2 neutrons and 2 electrons.

i reallly hope i did well. i got a* on the coursework but a 'b'-'c' overall on the modules....i was very disappointed with those.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undry1)
    i did AQA biology. what was the answer to the kidney question about the glucose concentrations ( why it was zero at R)?
    because the glucose is re-absorbed when it's in the bowman's capsule???
    What was the name of the process that goes on in the mitochondria???(part of that question)

ReputationRep:
    I did AQA triple award...
    there weren't any questions on the circulatory system(apart from a bit on blood), the eyes, drugs/alcohol, nitrogen cycle....loads of topics!!!
    And I really didn't get the Insulin+antibiotics question...i just guessed that...
    Also, what did everyone get for the bone question?(burning it and dipping in acid???)
    Did everyone find it -extremely- easy or is it just people from my school????? I dont think it was hard...but not -that- easy...after the exam, ppl at my school came out going"ohhh myyyy god....that was the easiest exam in the world...."..hmm...everyone seems to think it's a lot easier than last years...i think last year's was much easier!! So now I'm worried that they're going to increase the grade boundaries by A LOT....people in my class are predicting at least 90%+ for an A*....so what do you all think???

ReputationRep:
    whats this modular science buisness, it all seems so easy?

is it much easier than the normal exams?

we just do 3 exams for physics.bio.chem, and then 3 extension papers for each one, the modules thing looks like a complete joke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soapsuds)
    I did OCR Biology and I know I've already lost a few marks

We had a question about strawberry plants though! That made me laugh
    What! no we didnt! What question? WAS I SLEEPING DURING THE EXAM?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cloudey)
    the microwave works by emmiting micro-waves onto the food, where the water molecules absorb the waves and this causes them to vibrate, creating heat which cooks the food.

the diamond question i just put about 'giant ionic structures' and how densly packed the carbon is and how the bonds are so densely squeezed in that heat cannot penetrate so easily

The photosynthesis i just put CO2 as a guess because it was a 'hot sunny day' so i assumed the plant would get warmth and light anyway. the CO2 would be argued over more because they all wanted to perform lots of photosynthesis

I screwed up the shell one also i did oxygen instead of carbon i feel so stupid.

the alpha one i just put that it is helium nucleus with 2 protons ,2 neutrons and 2 electrons.

i reallly hope i did well. i got a* on the coursework but a 'b'-'c' overall on the modules....i was very disappointed with those.
    Oh, maybe I'll get a mark then? I put:
    "The micro wave uses micro waves to heat up all the food inside, it gives the food particles energy and causes them to vibrate and therefore this heats the food". Hehe, you can tell I'm not so good at science!

I put something similar too, like I think I said it was an ionic compound, or if not said it was a covalent (or whatever it's called):mad: . And said the bonds were so tight that it needed so much heat energy to break them.

Oh don't worry maybe you'll get some marks for understanding how to do oxygen?

Argh I didn't put that for the alpha one, I so wished I looked at my revision guide.

And the plant one, I did about temperature saying that if it was hot then light wouldn't have an effect. :confused: Then went on to say 37degrees is the optimum temperature and if it gets above this then photosynthesis wont be able to happen efficiently , if the temperature is good then CO2 /light will become the limiting factor.

Hmm, I also didn't like the one about waves for the earth? Or something? I put S-Waves and a Sesmigraph, hehe... I have no idea what that is!

Oh god, should stop discussing this 'cause realise that I haven't done so well after all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by recurring)
    i also did ocr higher biology and i found it difficult. ive lost more than a "few marks".
    Everyone found that difficult it was horrible...what glands did you secreted hormones? AND WHAT THE HELL WAS ALL THAT ABOUT HEAT BEING GIVEN OFF BY DECOMPOSITION?! No one told us that!

72% is an A* in Bio...btw...but the boundaries change every year...im too tired to revise anything now

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.