Turn on thread page Beta

Need advice on what A level to drop? (Maths, Chem, Biol or Physics) watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay so my AS results were:
    Biology - A
    Physics - A
    Chem - B
    Maths - B

I now need to decide which subject to drop. I'm thinking about going into engineering at Uni, so Maths is essential and Physics would be pretty useful. My biology teacher told me that because I did really well on the exams, I am pretty much guaranteed an A in Biology next year. And Chemistry is my favourite subject out of the four.

A few people have suggested taking all four subjects at A2, but I don't know if I'll be able to cope with the work load, considering A2 is supposed to be a LOT harder, so ideally I would like to drop one.

Any advice would be really appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry may be more useful than biology depending on the engineering course, and as you said, it is your faviroute subject out of the four, so you with the extra time you get from dropping biology, you should be able to focus on your grades to A*/ A
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by callumburns98)
    Okay so my AS results were:
    Biology - A
    Physics - A
    Chem - B
    Maths - B

I now need to decide which subject to drop. I'm thinking about going into engineering at Uni, so Maths is essential and Physics would be pretty useful. My biology teacher told me that because I did really well on the exams, I am pretty much guaranteed an A in Biology next year. And Chemistry is my favourite subject out of the four.

A few people have suggested taking all four subjects at A2, but I don't know if I'll be able to cope with the work load, considering A2 is supposed to be a LOT harder, so ideally I would like to drop one.

Any advice would be really appreciated!
    Out of the 4, i would probably suggest dropping biology. I know your teacher said you are nearly guaranteed an A in it next year, but in your case its the least important out of the 4. Like you have said, physics and maths are a must, and chemistry is also useful for engineering depending on what course you are applying for, plus like you said its your favourite.
    Is there any chance of doing all 4 in the first couple of weeks or so, just see how you get on. If you seem to manage doing all 4 then great- carry on with all of them, but if not, then drop biology. It might be worth speaking to your head of 6th form or someone to see if that might be possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Littleonezz)
    Chemistry may be more useful than biology depending on the engineering course, and as you said, it is your faviroute subject out of the four, so you with the extra time you get from dropping biology, you should be able to focus on your grades to A*/ A
    Yeah, I think that's probably the best option. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Out of the 4, i would probably suggest dropping biology. I know your teacher said you are nearly guaranteed an A in it next year, but in your case its the least important out of the 4. Like you have said, physics and maths are a must, and chemistry is also useful for engineering depending on what course you are applying for, plus like you said its your favourite.
    Is there any chance of doing all 4 in the first couple of weeks or so, just see how you get on. If you seem to manage doing all 4 then great- carry on with all of them, but if not, then drop biology. It might be worth speaking to your head of 6th form or someone to see if that might be possible.
    That sounds like a good idea, i'll probably speak to my head of 6th form and see what they think is best. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I did all four last year and ended up with A*AAA across them, so it is possible to keepthose four subjects to full A level and pass them without going mad! It's an awful lot of hard work but it is possible and manageable (I did an EPQ at the same time and had a social life so there's even time left over for other things!). It's up to you, and if you do choose to drop one it sounds like you should drop the biology, but keeping all four is a possible option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeFailFish)
    I did all four last year and ended up with A*AAA across them, so it is possible to keepthose four subjects to full A level and pass them without going mad! It's an awful lot of hard work but it is possible and manageable (I did an EPQ at the same time and had a social life so there's even time left over for other things!). It's up to you, and if you do choose to drop one it sounds like you should drop the biology, but keeping all four is a possible option.
    Wow those results are amazing, well done I'll have a think, talk to my teachers and decide what's best. Thank you for the advice!

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.