Turn on thread page Beta

Common job interview mistakes watch

Announcements
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi everyone,

Writing a great cover letter and CV is essential to get your foot in the door, but what about the interview? First impressions, and being able to relay your skills in interviews, is a skill believe it or not. A skill you’ll perfect in time.

So we wanted to share some common mistakes many people make at job interviews with you, in the hopes that may be able to avoid some common pitfalls.

1. Dressing inappropriately. Make sure you dress smart even if it’s casual.

2. Being late. Never, ever be late and if it’s unavoidable, call at least thirty minutes in advance and have a good reason.

3. Forgetting your manners. Switch off your phone, and don’t forget to say “Please” and “Thank you”.

4. Not doing your homework. You really need to know as much as you can about the company and the position you’re applying for.

5. Overdoing it. Be polite but be confident and relaxed. You shouldn’t sound like you’re pleading, rather you are here to offer your services and learn.

6. Zoning out. Make sure you pay attention to what your potential employer is asking you. Try not to get too flustered and forget what you’re trying to say. Make a list before your interview to remember your most important points you want to cover.

7. Lying. Be truthful and upfront about your experience and skills. Lying at an interview can have a detrimental effect on your future.

8. Badmouthing. Talking about a previous employer poorly – even if justified – makes you seem disloyal and fickle. Try to keep it constructive.

9. Not asking questions. Make sure you have one or two questions to ask about the company or the job position. This shows confidence, professionalism and genuine interest.

10. Be confident. Have a strong presence throughout your interview. Stay confident and self-confident.

We’re always eager to hear about your experiences and offer you whatever advice we can. You deserve a job that will make you happy and with the right company.

What are your top tips for interviews?

ReputationRep:
    Don't be over enthusiastic: a seemingly unusual remark, considering how important it is to demonstrate your interest in the company and role. However, after a recent interview I was informed that although my strong interest in the role was commendable, there were times I came across too enthusiastically, perhaps almost desperately! The recruiter described the interview as a 'whirlwind' from her perspective, and suggested I toned down in future, speaking slower and more concisely etc.

Nevertheless, my enthusiasm impressed them, as I was invited back for a second interview, then got the job! I've Been working for the company a month now, and am very much enjoying it. 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This is a great tip learnt from experience! We're glad to hear you're staying positive and got the job over the recruiters advice!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Good advice Mr Offical Rep, fair play to you. :hat2:

http://www.theguardian.com/careers/c...ased-interview

STAR is an interview technique that I've heard about a few times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Good advice Mr Offical Rep, fair play to you. :hat2:

http://www.theguardian.com/careers/c...ased-interview

STAR is an interview technique that I've heard about a few times.
    Another great technique, thanks for sharing!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, nows your chance to put your skills to use! Our School Leaver Scheme and Graduate Scheme applications have just opened. You can find out more information and how to apply here: careers.marksandspencer.com

Good luck!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.