M&S Careers team
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi everyone,

Writing a great cover letter and CV is essential to get your foot in the door, but what about the interview? First impressions, and being able to relay your skills in interviews, is a skill believe it or not. A skill you’ll perfect in time.

So we wanted to share some common mistakes many people make at job interviews with you, in the hopes that may be able to avoid some common pitfalls.

1. Dressing inappropriately. Make sure you dress smart even if it’s casual.

2. Being late. Never, ever be late and if it’s unavoidable, call at least thirty minutes in advance and have a good reason.

3. Forgetting your manners. Switch off your phone, and don’t forget to say “Please” and “Thank you”.

4. Not doing your homework. You really need to know as much as you can about the company and the position you’re applying for.

5. Overdoing it. Be polite but be confident and relaxed. You shouldn’t sound like you’re pleading, rather you are here to offer your services and learn.

6. Zoning out. Make sure you pay attention to what your potential employer is asking you. Try not to get too flustered and forget what you’re trying to say. Make a list before your interview to remember your most important points you want to cover.

7. Lying. Be truthful and upfront about your experience and skills. Lying at an interview can have a detrimental effect on your future.

8. Badmouthing. Talking about a previous employer poorly – even if justified – makes you seem disloyal and fickle. Try to keep it constructive.

9. Not asking questions. Make sure you have one or two questions to ask about the company or the job position. This shows confidence, professionalism and genuine interest.

10. Be confident. Have a strong presence throughout your interview. Stay confident and self-confident.

We’re always eager to hear about your experiences and offer you whatever advice we can. You deserve a job that will make you happy and with the right company.

What are your top tips for interviews?
wikiellie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't be over enthusiastic: a seemingly unusual remark, considering how important it is to demonstrate your interest in the company and role. However, after a recent interview I was informed that although my strong interest in the role was commendable, there were times I came across too enthusiastically, perhaps almost desperately! The recruiter described the interview as a 'whirlwind' from her perspective, and suggested I toned down in future, speaking slower and more concisely etc.

Nevertheless, my enthusiasm impressed them, as I was invited back for a second interview, then got the job! I've Been working for the company a month now, and am very much enjoying it. 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
M&S Careers team
Rep:
?
This is a great tip learnt from experience! We're glad to hear you're staying positive and got the job over the recruiters advice!
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Good advice Mr Offical Rep, fair play to you. :hat2:

http://www.theguardian.com/careers/c...ased-interview

STAR is an interview technique that I've heard about a few times.
M&S Careers team
Rep:
?
(Original post by SeanFM)
Good advice Mr Offical Rep, fair play to you. :hat2:

http://www.theguardian.com/careers/c...ased-interview

STAR is an interview technique that I've heard about a few times.
Another great technique, thanks for sharing!
M&S Careers team
Rep:
?
Hi guys, nows your chance to put your skills to use! Our School Leaver Scheme and Graduate Scheme applications have just opened. You can find out more information and how to apply here: careers.marksandspencer.com

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (222)
60.82%
No (77)
21.1%
Not sure (66)
18.08%

Watched Threads