Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to decide which to get but i think i'm swayed more towards a simple, elegant tux?

Which is better out the two? I was thinking of getting something like this:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Spoiler:
    Show

OR
    Spoiler:
    Show

Which is better?

ReputationRep:
    What's the occasion, we need more info to be able to properly answer the question.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't a true Alpha M be the one to give this sort of advice, and not to be the one who needs it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wattsy)
    What's the occasion, we need more info to be able to properly answer the question.
    Hmm no particular occasion in mind but it would be for classy type gatherings i.e. balls/ interviews/networking events

(Original post by Davalla)
    Wouldn't a true Alpha M be the one to give this sort of advice, and not to be the one who needs it?

hahaha true...he says you need to have both

but i'm poor so one of them for now

ReputationRep:
    I would personally go for the first one as its the most elegant one whilst at the same time simplistic which fits the bill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matthew Campbell)
    I would personally go for the first one as its the most elegant one whilst at the same time simplistic which fits the bill.
    yes i quite like that one plus for interviews i could just swap the bow with a tie

ReputationRep:
    I'd personally advise against wearing a dinner suit to an interview. That blue suit is a bit 'Year 11 prom' though. For formal events, the dinner suit works best (maybe with a cummerbund/waistcoast; it can be difficult to pull off a dinner suit without waist accessory), but if you think you'll have more interviews than formal events, and are only looking to buy one suit, perhaps a regular suit would be a better investment.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    It's a dinner jacket, not a tuxedo.

You wear a DJ if the invite says 'black tie' and at no other time. If you turn up for a job interview wearing a DJ, people will just think you're odd.
    Buy a suit. Classic, not high end fashion, not too tight. You'll get far more wear out of a suit.

Also, buy some decent shoes, ties and shirts to go with it. Nothing worse than someone in a suit with crap shoes on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by russellsteapot)
    I'd personally advise against wearing a dinner suit to an interview. That blue suit is a bit 'Year 11 prom' though. For formal events, the dinner suit works best (maybe with a cummerbund/waistcoast; it can be difficult to pull off a dinner suit without waist accessory), but if you think you'll have more interviews than formal events, and are only looking to buy one suit, perhaps a regular suit would be a better investment.
    Yeah you have a good point

I was thinking of getting the waist accessory too...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProStacker)
    It's a dinner jacket, not a tuxedo.

You wear a DJ if the invite says 'black tie' and at no other time. If you turn up for a job interview wearing a DJ, people will just think you're odd.
    Buy a suit. Classic, not high end fashion, not too tight. You'll get far more wear out of a suit.

Also, buy some decent shoes, ties and shirts to go with it. Nothing worse than someone in a suit with crap shoes on.
    I've got decent shoes (and shirts) already i.e. some brouges/ also going to add monk straps

I do have an old suit although its kinda lose ideally like something more tailored...if i did get a tux it would have to be something close to a suit so i can interchange between the two easily

ReputationRep:
    You can't wear a dinner jacket for an interview (tuxedo is US English). There is no debate there. It's black and has no features of business wear except being suit shaped. If you can only have one, buy a suit. You get more versatility and it will transition to balls with the right accessories infinitely better than the DJ will transition into business wear. If you turned up to an interview in black tie even with a standard tie you wouldn't get the job, it's just not appropriate.

That tux from the Grammy's is neither simple nor elegant by the way. It's patterned, has flap pockets and has really long trousers none of which give you the clean lines you want from a good DJ ensemble.

You can get a decent fit tux from Jonny Tuxedo for £120 when you actually need one but until then please just buy a suit. I'm a bit of a sartorial nerd so I notice more faults than average people but any interviewer is going to wonder why on earth you have a dinner jacket on, in the day time, for an interview. Regardless of the tie it will still have lapels which aren't the same material as the rest of the jacket so that you have a dinner jacket on will be a dead giveaway.

If we've moved past you thinking dinner jackets are business wear appropriate then it's onto suit advice. You're going to see lots of grey this Autumn. Punt for a medium grey for versatility (dress down with tan/brown shoes, get formal with black). Would also advise you not to buy ASOS suiting. Get something of a decent quality that you can try on in a shop because suit fit is so important. Wool blend probably, avoid polyester if the budget will allow it. In the long term wool will last longer and look so much better. On fit think slim cut rather than skinny or you can look too 'fashion' for the office which is not good.

ReputationRep:
    You're going to see lots of grey this Autumn. Punt for a medium grey for versatility (dress down with tan/brown shoes, get formal with black). Would also advise you not to buy ASOS suiting. Get something of a decent quality that you can try on in a shop because suit fit is so important. Wool blend probably, avoid polyester if the budget will allow it. In the long term wool will last longer and look so much better. On fit think slim cut rather than skinny or you can look too 'fashion' for the office which is not good.
    Alright so suit it is

Dress down? but wouldn't that be surely dressing up as brown works just as well as black I would imagine if you had to dress down then perhaps one would maybe wear some sort of loafers no?

And yes of course I'm aware I'm going to buy a decently tailored suit one that I've tried on obviously

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a10)
    Alright so suit it is

Dress down? but wouldn't that be surely dressing up as brown works just as well as black I would imagine if you had to dress down then perhaps one would maybe wear some sort of loafers no?

And yes of course I'm aware I'm going to buy a decently tailored suit one that I've tried on obviously
    Tan is always a little bit summer BBQ for me but when I network it's with lawyers. Law is a pretty fashion conservative sector wherever you go. Tan might be appropriate in some offices but I've never been to one. You can make an argument for brown I suppose, again, I came at it from a law angle; safer to stick to black but a smart brown shoe is certainly better than a tan one. Brown shoes are way more interesting than black ones too because of patina potential.

Loafers on the modern man tend to mean mankles so you're getting into too fashion for the office territory but anywhere else I think loafers can be awesome with a suit. Watch trouser length though because really you need trousers with no break (they end at the back of the heel of the shoe with no folding) or the look loses its flair. Even with socks you need no trouser break. As for sock choice if you choose to wear them, you either have to get bold but coordinated or really boring. It's just another element which you can get wrong. I'd try and nail down your fundamentals first.

ReputationRep:
    Tan is always a little bit summer BBQ for me but when I network it's with lawyers. Law is a pretty fashion conservative sector wherever you go. Tan might be appropriate in some offices but I've never been to one. You can make an argument for brown I suppose, again, I came at it from a law angle; safer to stick to black but a smart brown shoe is certainly better than a tan one. Brown shoes are way more interesting than black ones too because of patina potential.

Loafers on the modern man tend to mean mankles so you're getting into too fashion for the office territory but anywhere else I think loafers can be awesome with a suit. Watch trouser length though because really you need trousers with no break (they end at the back of the heel of the shoe with no folding) or the look loses its flair. Even with socks you need no trouser break. As for sock choice if you choose to wear them, you either have to get bold but coordinated or really boring. It's just another element which you can get wrong. I'd try and nail down your fundamentals first.
    hahaha summer BBQ :lol:

I like your points....a great outfit always starts with the shoes

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a10)
    hahaha summer BBQ :lol:

I like your points....a great outfit always starts with the shoes

Thanks
    I'm simply happy in the knowledge that you will not be turning up for an interview in black tie.

ReputationRep:
    i'd buy a black but well branded suit or make a mixed suit for quality parts as long as the top and bottom are matching but you can be quite free style on the shirt and tie of your choice
    i have a suit which is a charcoal versace top and bottom, ferrari red hugo boss silk tie, sky blue prada shirt, black dolce and gabbana shoes,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesthehustler)
    i'd buy a black but well branded suit or make a mixed suit for quality parts as long as the top and bottom are matching but you can be quite free style on the shirt and tie of your choice
    i have a suit which is a charcoal versace top and bottom, ferrari red hugo boss silk tie, sky blue prada shirt, black dolce and gabbana shoes,
    Bloody hell how much did that cost you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a10)
    Bloody hell how much did that cost you?
    £145
    but the brand new retail would be in the region of £4,000
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Don't be drawn by big names on suits, shirts and shoes. If you want GOOD shoes, go to Northampton and visit the factory shops of the finest British shoemakers for some great prices. The best suits available are those bespoke made by tailors you've never heard of. If you buy off the peg, stay away from shiny, tight overly fashionable stuff. Take someone with you who knows how clothes should fit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a10)
    Hmm no particular occasion in mind but it would be for classy type gatherings i.e. balls/ interviews/networking events
    You could get away with wearing a tuxedo to dinner, but you wouldn't wear a it to an interview or networking events as it's evening wear.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.