Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    HEY guys I'm just a bit overwhelmed as to where to apply to give me the best chance of getting in - i don't mind they all seem good . I know no uni is easy , but some will suit my application more . I've looked around and would like a few tips if possible.I think I've shortlisted birmingham but unsure for other 3 .

Just some background info
    I've got 10 A* for gcse
    1 A in ocr FSMQ
    A* alevel maths, a,a,a,a in as bio chem physics, business studies
    98.6 average percent ums (only putting this in in case you recommend cambridge - though in terms of safety i doubt it )
    UKCAT now updated - 772.5 band 3

some work expericen in hospital, 6 moths nursing home , volunteer at kumon

Again , i couldn't really care less about the prestige of aunt- i just want to get in- any tips on unit that suit me to get highest odds of getting in?Thanks for the help- i have looked myself but there are so many options

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemphys)
    HEY guys I'm just a bit overwhelmed as to where to apply to give me the best chance of getting in - i don't mind they all seem good . I know no uni is easy , but some will suit my application more . I've looked around and would like a few tips if possible.I think I've shortlisted birmingham but unsure for other 3 .

I've got 10 A* for gcse
    1 A in ocr FSMQ
    98.6 average percent ums (only putting this in in case you recommend cambridge - though in terms of safety i doubt it )
    UKCAT pending

Again , i couldn't really care less about the prestige of aunt- i just want to get in- any tips on unit that suit me to get highest odds of getting in?Thanks for the help- i have looked myself but there are so many options
    Youve got great gcse and AS grades so take advantage of that! Have you looked at cardiff and birmingham? Your grades are looking good for oxbridge if you wanted to go for it but in terms of medicine, it's not going to affect your employablity or anything. Get a solid personal statement and ukcat and your application is looking ace. Also you dont get your bmat score until after youve applied so beware of that? Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariapops)
    Youve got great gcse and AS grades so take advantage of that! Have you looked at cardiff and birmingham? Your grades are looking good for oxbridge if you wanted to go for it but in terms of medicine, it's not going to affect your employablity or anything. Get a solid personal statement and ukcat and your application is looking ace. Also you dont get your bmat score until after youve applied so beware of that? Good luck!
    thanks I appreciate it
    yes for brimingham - does card if weight ukcat highly

-very true for medicine i don't believe it makes much of a difference except prestige .

I'm just worried about the ukcat - are there any contingency unis which favour academics much more than ukcat-preferably ones not too based on personal statement as well ?My only contingency plan so far is to do bmat unis but that is risky as well

Sorry to be such a pain - I'm a bit lost - i appreciate the help

ReputationRep:
    thanks I appreciate it
    yes for brimingham - does card if weight ukcat highly

-very true for medicine i don't believe it makes much of a difference except prestige .

I'm just worried about the ukcat - are there any contingency unis which favour academics much more than ukcat-preferably ones not too based on personal statement as well ?My only contingency plan so far is to do bmat unis but that is risky as well

Sorry to be such a pain - I'm a bit lost - i appreciate the help
    Cardiff look at ukcat but a score of 650+ would put you in a good position. Obviously the higher your ukcat, the stronger your application but due to your strong gcses and AS, a lower ukcat score shouldnt hinder you unless you're looking at ukcat heavy unis such as kings. Avoid liverpool if you are worried about personal statements. Plymouth and keele aren't too fussed about ukcat but off the top of my head, i cant think of any academic heavy unis because for myself, i've been looking at ones that consider several things as I have no particular strengths.

ReputationRep:
    Lancaster, Liverpool, Birmingham, Cardiff and Bristol are GCSE-heavy uni's. St. Andrews and Imperial look at AS grades too. A good personal statement will also be helpful for these universities. Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    With those grades you will have your pick of universities. Take your time to look at the courses you're interested in, then where you can study them. Then decide how far from home you want to be. For my undergrad I was a two hour journey from home which was far away enough to get away from parents but close enough to be home for a weekend every so often.

What do you want to study? From your subjects I'm guessing either a science/medicine type of course.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

I've got 10 A* for gcse
    1 A in ocr FSMQ
    UKCAT pending

Your GCSEs and work experience scream cardiff!!

I am starting here in september and i can say that regardless of ukcat (they only use it in borderline cases after interview) you would be a strong applicant here

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I've got 10 A* for gcse
    1 A in ocr FSMQ
    UKCAT pending

you sound like you're ready- maybe just look at the syllabus of the degree programme and see which you think suits you

ReputationRep:
    I just want to say thank you so much - i really appreciate the info you've given - just having someone else to give you some advise helps me process all the options- I had a bit of a panic before .Ive gotten a few cardiff recommendations so ill deffo have a look at that . do you mind if i ask again if i have any more queries - sorries to be a pest
    (Original post by RevisionNad)
    you sound like you're ready- maybe just look at the syllabus of the degree programme and see which you think suits you
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    Your GCSEs and work experience scream cardiff!!

I am starting here in september and i can say that regardless of ukcat (they only use it in borderline cases after interview) you would be a strong applicant here

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Alex_Rasdra)
    With those grades you will have your pick of universities. Take your time to look at the courses you're interested in, then where you can study them. Then decide how far from home you want to be. For my undergrad I was a two hour journey from home which was far away enough to get away from parents but close enough to be home for a weekend every so often.

What do you want to study? From your subjects I'm guessing either a science/medicine type of course.
    yes its medicine

(Original post by Krishy:))
    Lancaster, Liverpool, Birmingham, Cardiff and Bristol are GCSE-heavy uni's. St. Andrews and Imperial look at AS grades too. A good personal statement will also be helpful for these universities. Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Cardiff look at ukcat but a score of 650+ would put you in a good position. Obviously the higher your ukcat, the stronger your application but due to your strong gcses and AS, a lower ukcat score shouldnt hinder you unless you're looking at ukcat heavy unis such as kings. Avoid liverpool if you are worried about personal statements. Plymouth and keele aren't too fussed about ukcat but off the top of my head, i cant think of any academic heavy unis because for myself, i've been looking at ones that consider several things as I have no particular strengths.

also good luck with applications and future plans !!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, just wanted to point out that Plymouth are fussed about the ukcat

They usually have a mid 650 cut off, and cut off sections for each part of the test.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I just want to say thank you so much - i really appreciate the info you've given - just having someone else to give you some advise helps me process all the options- I had a bit of a panic before .Ive gotten a few cardiff recommendations so ill deffo have a look at that . do you mind if i ask again if i have any more queries - sorries to be a pest

yes its medicine

also good luck with applications and future plans !!
    Any questions just fire away! I know everything there is to know about applying to cardiff!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Any questions just fire away! I know everything there is to know about applying to cardiff!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    hi, again i think you previously mentioned that the ukcat was only used in borderline cases. Is this still the case- I've had a look around the website and can't seem to find out how much they weight it - it just has general comments saying they take a number of factors into account

thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    hi, again i think you previously mentioned that the ukcat was only used in borderline cases. Is this still the case- I've had a look around the website and can't seem to find out how much they weight it - it just has general comments saying they take a number of factors into account

thanks
    Yep still only in borderline cases...

On here look for the cardiff 2016 medicine applicants thread and the first post contains a highly detailed admissions process and entry requirements on a link... It is defintely worth a look.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yep still only in borderline cases...

On here look for the cardiff 2016 medicine applicants thread and the first post contains a highly detailed admissions process and entry requirements on a link... It is defintely worth a look.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=chemphys;58832773]I just want to say thank you so much - i really appreciate the info you've given - just having someone else to give you some advise helps me process all the options- I had a bit of a panic before .Ive gotten a few cardiff recommendations so ill deffo have a look at that . do you mind if i ask again if i have any more queries - sorries to be a pest

ask away- an answer may just help you decide your plans for your future

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=RevisionNad;58906171]

ask away- an answer may just help you decide your plans for your future
    hi thanks, i've just found out that I've got band 3 in situational judgement for the ukcat . I got 772.5 for the scored part. Will my band 3 adversely affect me ? thanks

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=chemphys;58912321]
    (Original post by RevisionNad)

hi thanks, i've just found out that I've got band 3 in situational judgement for the ukcat . I got 772.5 for the scored part. Will my band 3 adversely affect me ? thanks
    oohh.. it's been some time that I've looked at UKCAT ... um I suppose it depends on the admissions tutors in the universities. But don't stress. Whatever outcome is meant to be will happen. Don't be so hard on yourself. You've done well though, those exams are hard!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=RevisionNad;58947773]

oohh.. it's been some time that I've looked at UKCAT ... um I suppose it depends on the admissions tutors in the universities. But don't stress. Whatever outcome is meant to be will happen. Don't be so hard on yourself. You've done well though, those exams are hard!
    thank you , i think ill get in touch with admission tutors

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.