The Student Room Group

Worth applying for PPE at all?

My AS grades didn't go as expected - I was predicted four As, instead I achieved ABBC with the C in Mathematics, despite Mathematics being my strongest subject all year. Is it worth applying to Oxford for PPE with AAB prediction (I will be keeping Maths and retaking, dropping one of my B grade subjects but still predicted a B) bearing in mind at GCSE I received 19 A*s? I am performing well on my TSA practice papers and I have extenuating circumstances, but Mathematics is a vital component for the Economics branch and it is mentioned as a useful subject, and for me to perform so badly on a subject highlighted for PPE surely is a disadvantage? I don't know, I just want to be realistic!
Reply 1
Bump?
Perhaps email an admissions tutor at Oxford/your college of interest and see what they say? I doubt anyone here will be able to give a definitive answer. It might even be better to apply post A-Level after having already achieved the grades they're looking for. But yeah try emailing. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Paralove
Perhaps email an admissions tutor at Oxford/your college of interest and see what they say? I doubt anyone here will be able to give a definitive answer. It might even be better to apply post A-Level after having already achieved the grades they're looking for. But yeah try emailing. :smile:

That seems like a good idea, but I'm worried that since tutors are undoubtedly being bombarded with messages regarding results, that I'll be ignored or I'll receive a harsh response about how messages like this are annoying (perhaps not so explicitly :lol:)
Original post by noahdiiv
That seems like a good idea, but I'm worried that since tutors are undoubtedly being bombarded with messages regarding results, that I'll be ignored or I'll receive a harsh response about how messages like this are annoying (perhaps not so explicitly :lol:)

Honestly it's worth doing. They'll try to be as helpful as they can - I'm at Cambridge, and I know they're pretty good with responses. It's the only way to guarantee the kind response you're looking for, and which is reliable.
My AS grades didn't go as expected - I was predicted four As, instead I achieved ABBC with the C in Mathematics, despite Mathematics being my strongest subject all year. Is it worth applying to Oxford for PPE with AAB prediction (I will be keeping Maths and retaking, dropping one of my B grade subjects but still predicted a B) bearing in mind at GCSE I received 19 A*s? I am performing well on my TSA practice papers and I have extenuating circumstances, but Mathematics is a vital component for the Economics branch and it is mentioned as a useful subject, and for me to perform so badly on a subject highlighted for PPE surely is a disadvantage? I don't know, I just want to be realistic!

So obviously your GCSEs indicate a strong academic profile but this hasn't been carried out to the best extent at AS. Although PPE does not have a requirement of Maths, it is definitely looked upon favourably due to the economics content. While there is no requirement, tutors must be convinced you are able to handle the mathematical content of the course. Considering an A is required for E&M, I'd imagine a similar competency would be expected (as PPEists would do some of the same economics modules).

So frankly, achieving a C at AS I personally would consider a hindrance, although it is not an automatic rejection. My overall suggestion would be to take a year out and apply with A2 grades, and assuming you get an A in maths and something around the A*AA-AAA area then give it a shot (and then your AS Maths original grade can't even be seen or ever known).

I don't mean this to come cross harshly, I am sure you are very capable but knowing the standard of some Oxbridge applicants, and noting that the PPE course makes reference to Maths (although it is not a specific requirement) makes me believe that a C at AS would put you at a (perhaps significant) disadvantage. This is not the be all and end all of the application, of course, and a killer TSA score would certainly be of great benefit (while proving Mathematical ability), but the C may be flagged. Personally I would recommend applying post A2, assuming you improved upon the grade.

It's a shame that Maths was your best and it didn't go as you hoped- this happens sometimes! Exams are funny and a couple questions can just throw you off a grade.

Don't let this dishearten you, and I'm not saying there isn't a chance, but certainly a C rather than an A will have some negative impact.

Hope this post helps - perhaps get in touch with a tutor and ask for their honest opinion about whether it would affect your chances. You also have to consider your other uni options and whether those courses have a maths requirement - in which case, again, a post A2 application may benefit you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
19?!

Hiya I've underperformed in AS as well and got an A in Bio, a B in Geog and a C in English and I was heartbroken because I am top in both Geog and Eng in my year... I probably wouldn't be predicted anything higher than A*AB and in fact even that is too generous.
I'd like to apply to Experimental Psychology at Oxford and they required an A*AA prediction...
I'm just so worried that they'd chuck my application to the bin after seeing my predicted grades cos I don't meet the entry requirement. :s-smilie:
I just hope they'd carry on reading my profile cos I do have quite a strong reference and PS and my GCSE (11A*) is above average too. (Yours is like unbelievable lol.)
Another of my concern is that even if my school would take resits (for I'd definitely resit) into consideration when predicting my grades, and even if they hence did predict me the A*AA required, Oxford would find the difference between ABC in AS and the prediction suspicious and then my application would go into the bin the same...
We're both applying for competitive courses so maybe we'd share the same concerns. :s-smilie: There are already more than enough people who have got the grades already in the first go and we couldn't blame anyone if Oxford said 'why would I even look at you?'... :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending