Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I got a B in GCSE chemistry and I'm not sure if i should take it for A level. Bear in mind my chemistry teacher wasn't there for the majority of the two years so that may have something to do with it. I heard it's quite beneficial to be good at maths and I got an A* in that so would that help me ?

ReputationRep:
    Is this a "Should I do..." or a "Can I do..."?

If you enjoy it, you should take it, work hard, and do well. Yes, a B isn't the best grade, but that shouldn't stop you getting whatever grade you want at A level. It's about how hard you apply yourself, and that's it.

If you don't enjoy it, don't do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infraspecies)
    Is this a "Should I do..." or a "Can I do..."?

If you enjoy it, you should take it, work hard, and do well. Yes, a B isn't the best grade, but that shouldn't stop you getting whatever grade you want at A level. It's about how hard you apply yourself, and that's it.

If you don't enjoy it, don't do it.
    thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tkay0899)
    Hey guys I got a B in GCSE chemistry and I'm not sure if i should take it for A level. Bear in mind my chemistry teacher wasn't there for the majority of the two years so that may have something to do with it. I heard it's quite beneficial to be good at maths and I got an A* in that so would that help me ?
    The actual maths in Chemistry AS Level is very basic so your GCSE knowledge would be more than sufficient.

ReputationRep:
    Only take Chemistry if you are willing to work hard. I took Chemistry and ended up dropping it as I fell behind and did not do a sufficient amount of work to catch up. It isn't an easy subject, and from what I have heard A2 Chemistry is a lot harder than AS Chemistry, so again only take the subject if you will work hard!

Hope this helped
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    (Original post by tkay0899)
    There is a lot of work involved in Chemistry A level, but it is a very interesting A level to take.

If you are prepared to put the work in...and a few hours a week extra to ensure you are on track, then go for it!

M

ReputationRep:
    I am planning on taking A-Level chemistry with a B as well

My teacher reminded us on induction day to look at how you did in each separate exam as well. We did OCR and he said that C1, C2 and C3 are not "real chemistry" as he says, and have no relevance at A-Level. However, our final C7 exam is what we'll be developing further for the next two years so if we did rubbish in the exam we should think about whether we are really are up to the challenge.

Obviously, I'm sure this is different for different exam boards but it may be helpful in making your decision. But like the others have said on the thread, if you enjoy it and are willing to work very hard a B shouldn't matter too much. Good luck!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 25, 2015

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.