The Student Room Group

Medicine - 5th choice

I am applying to Medicine, and for my 5th choice I don't want to apply to something like Biomed or Pharmacy as I know I would not go. I am confident of getting A*AA at least as I already have an A* in Maths which will be cashed in next year, and 90+ UMS in my others (taking Bio, Chem, Physics next year). I'd only consider applying to somewhere competitive but I'm not sure whether it would be an instant rejection.

I was considering applying to Dentistry at King's (?) as that also interests me, or something like Economics/Economics with Mathematics at one of the top schools like LSE or London Business School. I went on a month-long summer school in China which focussed on Chinese Language and Economics which I plan to write a bit about anyway for the qualities I learned, and my Maths CV is (Gold Awards, Olympiad Merit, top 15 in the National Team Maths Challenge final).

Would I have any chance of getting in with a purely Medical PS? I wouldn't be devastated not getting my 5th and if I didn't get an offer in my 4 either I'd reapply the year after, but if I got into Dentistry or Economics I'd probably consider it. Another option is Chemical (or even Biomedical) Engineering, maybe at UCL, unless its risk-free to apply to Imperial twice for different courses.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
I'd personally recommend focussing your personal statement completely on medicine. You can apply for another course too, but your focus should be completely on your passion and motivation for a career in medicine. You may be asked the university for an alternate personal statement for your other course. My friend applied for 4 medicine choices, and one for Medicinal Chemistry at Manchester, and she was asked to write a new personal statement for that course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krishy:)
I'd personally recommend focussing your personal statement completely on medicine. You can apply for another course too, but your focus should be completely on your passion and motivation for a career in medicine. You may be asked the university for an alternate personal statement for your other course. My friend applied for 4 medicine choices, and one for Medicinal Chemistry at Manchester, and she was asked to write a new personal statement for that course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello... How did your friend ask to wrote a new personal statement for the other course? Like who did she ask? The uni or ucas?
Original post by dragonjack
I am applying to Medicine, and for my 5th choice I don't want to apply to something like Biomed or Pharmacy as I know I would not go. I am confident of getting A*AA at least as I already have an A* in Maths which will be cashed in next year, and 90+ UMS in my others (taking Bio, Chem, Physics next year). I'd only consider applying to somewhere competitive but I'm not sure whether it would be an instant rejection.

I was considering applying to Dentistry at King's (?) as that also interests me, or something like Economics/Economics with Mathematics at one of the top schools like LSE or London Business School. I went on a month-long summer school in China which focussed on Chinese Language and Economics which I plan to write a bit about anyway for the qualities I learned, and my Maths CV is (Gold Awards, Olympiad Merit, top 15 in the National Team Maths Challenge final).

Would I have any chance of getting in with a purely Medical PS? I wouldn't be devastated not getting my 5th and if I didn't get an offer in my 4 either I'd reapply the year after, but if I got into Dentistry or Economics I'd probably consider it. Another option is Chemical (or even Biomedical) Engineering, maybe at UCL, unless its risk-free to apply to Imperial twice for different courses.

You cannot apply to Dentistry unless you only apply to 3 medical schools.

Some courses will allow you to supply a second ps direct to them. Narrow down your choices and then email them and ask if they'd accept a second ps from you.
Reply 4
Original post by TheMadHatteress
Hello... How did your friend ask to wrote a new personal statement for the other course? Like who did she ask? The uni or ucas?

Sorry for being unclear, she was asked by the university for a new personal statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by TheMadHatteress

The same happened with my brother, he applied to 4 universities for medicine and his 5th choice was chemical engineering at Leeds but because his ps was geared towards medicine the university contacted him and asked him to provide another ps
So I would suggest to write your ps focused on medicine first and foremost and most likely any other course you apply to will ask for a second ps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending