Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i know you're not allowed to smoke in uni accomdation but most uni's ive visted my friends are able to just cover the smoke alarm and everyone seems pretty chill with it, is this a common thing at essex? il be living i the towers is there a way for me to smoke in my room. cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyqwertyqwer)
    Hi, i know you're not allowed to smoke in uni accomdation but most uni's ive visted my friends are able to just cover the smoke alarm and everyone seems pretty chill with it, is this a common thing at essex? il be living i the towers is there a way for me to smoke in my room. cheers
    I don't want to sound like a damp squib but this is a very bad idea and you really shouldn't. Most importantly because it is a question of your own and everyone else's health and safety but also because if it's not allowed you'll be in breach of your accommodation contract, which could ultimately lead to your being evicted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FionaMG)
    I don't want to sound like a damp squib but this is a very bad idea and you really shouldn't. Most importantly because it is a question of your own and everyone else's health and safety but also because if it's not allowed you'll be in breach of your accommodation contract, which could ultimately lead to your being evicted.
    Calm down right now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh Essex. Might be a good idea of that whole place burned down.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Hint: If you're going to smoke in your own room you could actually kill yourself and your flatmates. What's so hard about going outside anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treypound)
    Calm down right now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you serious or are you pulling my leg? I don't think anything in my post suggested I was in a tizz... but there's no smiley in yours to suggest you're kidding. I'm confused. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Are you serious or are you pulling my leg? I don't think anything in my post suggested I was in a tizz... but there's no smiley in yours to suggest you're kidding. I'm confused. :confused:
    seriously please calm down! why are you getting so crazy? just keep it calm..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is it so hard to actually go outside? You're already messing up your body, help yourself a little by not being a lazy sod and walk down the stairs to smoke outdoors.
    That being said, if you really want to, do what people at my uni did and take off the safety latches from your kitchen window and smoke out of that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I agree..

People may not tell you not to because they don't want to cause a fuss but I don't think you'll be popular if you smoke in halls

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treypound)
    seriously please calm down! why are you getting so crazy? just keep it calm..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not getting it, sorry...:iiam:

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I wouldn't recommend. Unfortunately none of our accommodation allows smoking (as you know) but also the smoke detectors are very sensitive. When it sets the fire alarm off the whole tower has to leave the building - regardless of what time it is in the morning. It can also cause problems in your flat: in first year one of my flatmates set the fire alarm of twice and both times it was super early in the morning and it did cause some arguments in the flat.

There's a little smoking shed just next to the towers anyways and it's only a lift ride away
    ^Shannon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keyhofi)
    Hint: If you're going to smoke in your own room you could actually kill yourself and your flatmates. What's so hard about going outside anyway?
    Fireproof doors -- those bad boys can withstand thermite. You'd only burn your own room down.

ReputationRep:
    You can also try applying for a ''smokers'' flat. Just saying

ReputationRep:
    Just follow the rules, if you aren't allowed to smoke, don't, simple. I'm pretty sensitive to smoke myself so I wouldn't take to kindly to someone near me in a hall smoking where they aren't allowed to.

ReputationRep:
    Smoking's bad for you.

ReputationRep:
    Of course you can smoke in your halls.
    A lot of bad advice in this forum right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gabriel_hurl)
    Of course you can smoke in your halls.
    A lot of bad advice in this forum right now.
    How about you grab a colouring book, Log out of TSR and do something useful?

ReputationRep:
    yeah everyone does it, just work out what alarm you've got cause some are heat sensors and some are smoke detectors. Nothing beats a cheeky cig in your bedroom

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 18, 2018
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.