Turn on thread page Beta

Is 5 Highers by the end of S5 enough? Making so many stupid mistakes... watch

ReputationRep:
    I seem to be making one mistake after another...

Firstly in S4 I should have taken higher French as opposed to sitting nat5 (just found out I got 96%) but I was a bit worried and decided to do higher in 5th year and get a solid A which I'm really regretting.

Secondly, I would have crashed higher music in 5th year (I am grade 7 piano, grade 5 theory) if the timetabling schedule at my school wasn't so limited.

I could have then crashed higher Business but I never really thought about it and now I reckon it's too late (however, it would have probably been tough anyway unlike French and Music so I'm not too disappointed about this).

If I had sat higher French in S4 I could have taken nat5 & higher Biology but now I don't have any of them, worried that this will set me back for Chemical Engineering.

Basically... by the end of S5 I could have had a potential 6/7 highers and now I'm stuck with 5 (Maths, English, Physics, Chemistry, French).

I'm also interested in Chemical Engineering and don't have Biology when it looks like many do so I'm feeling quite bad about that.

I've been looking at places like Edinburgh and they want AAAA so if I were to achieve that this year plus an extra higher or two next year + some advanced do you think I should be okay?

Been worrying about it for the past few days, I can't sleep just thinking about all the stupid mistakes I have made over the past year. Do you think I should be fine with my 5 highers?

Any info or guidance would be heavily appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Even though having 6/7 highers is really awesome, but most people only have 4 highers!
    Appreciate what you've got!
    Plus, music, business and french are not relevant to chemical engineering at all. As long you do well in your maths/chemistry/physics then you are fine. Maybe find a WE or two through school, sign up for placements(nuffield foundation, fuse lab etc.), go to science festivals...
    Also, it is better to get 5As in the subjects you are currently doing than getting As and Bs and Cs in 6/7 subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Junioh)
    Most people only have 4 highers!
    Appreciate what you've got.
    Is that so? It's just that a few people in my year that I'm also quite close to will have 6 or 7 highers. As I'm often around these folk I can't help but envy them and regret how I never took higher French in particular.

I do hope I'm okay, it's just that as I'm only starting 5th year now I'm lacking information so I'm constantly worrying about various things.

Thanks for your input

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattcorney)
    Is that so? It's just that a few people in my year that I'm also quite close to will have 6 or 7 highers. As I'm often around these folk I can't help but envy them and regret how I never took higher French in particular.

I do hope I'm okay, it's just that as I'm only starting 5th year now I'm lacking information so I'm constantly worrying about various things.

Thanks for your input
    Just edited my post above. Hope this helps and good luck :>

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure unis look at the amount of highers sat in S5, therefore 6/7 highers over 2 years don't really count. Most unis want 4A's+B or 5As for chem eng I think, all sat in 1 year, so 5 highers is plenty. And yes in 6th year do relevant advanced highers and you should be ok

ReputationRep:
    Just edited my post above. Hope this helps and good luck :>
    Just read the edited post and that's very helpful.

I am aware that subjects like French aren't necessary, they're just subjects I'm both good at and enjoy which is why I used French to fill the gap in my timetable (after opting for Maths, English, Physics and Chemistry). Looking back I probably should have opted for Biology but I hope that doesn't make too huge a difference.

And I agree with everything you're saying. I do try to improve my out-of-school qualities. Like last year I did a week's work experience with 'Total' learning lots about working in the Process, Electrical, Mechanical and Safety Engineering sectors. I try volunteer with organisations like Cancer Research on a regular basis, have done a 3 month US exchange, sat many piano exams (also gained some UCAS points through that) and a few other bits and pieces.

Will certainly try and gain more opportunities and experiences in the next year or so (more Science/Engineering related ones in particular)

Been a little unsure of certain things lately so it's great to hear your input, thanks again for the reply!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muchensmile)
    Pretty sure unis look at the amount of highers sat in S5, therefore 6/7 highers over 2 years don't really count. Most unis want 4A's+B or 5As for chem eng I think, all sat in 1 year, so 5 highers is plenty. And yes in 6th year do relevant advanced highers and you should be ok
    Ah I see, I figured taking a higher at S4 would count as an S5 higher but I see what you mean!

Thanks a lot for your reply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattcorney)
    Just read the edited post and that's very helpful.

I am aware that subjects like French aren't necessary, they're just subjects I'm both good at and enjoy which is why I used French to fill the gap in my timetable (after opting for Maths, English, Physics and Chemistry). Looking back I probably should have opted for Biology but I hope that doesn't make too huge a difference.

And I agree with everything you're saying. I do try to improve my out-of-school qualities. Like last year I did a week's work experience with 'Total' learning lots about working in the Process, Electrical, Mechanical and Safety Engineering sectors. I try volunteer with organisations like Cancer Research on a regular basis, have done a 3 month US exchange, sat many piano exams (also gained some UCAS points through that) and a few other bits and pieces.

Will certainly try and gain more opportunities and experiences in the next year or so (more Science/Engineering related ones in particular)

Been a little unsure of certain things lately so it's great to hear your input, thanks again for the reply!
    If French is what you enjoy, you can always self-study/go to college. Biology is not necessary if chemical engineering is what you wish to do, but it would be useful have some understanding of biology as it would help with your higher/ advanced higher chemistry.
    Regarding your previous post about people around you having 6/7 highers, I guess you come from a very good school. In my school, only 30% people did 5 highers and out of the 30% who were allowed to do 5 highers, many people did not achieve 5 higher passes. Out of the people who passed all their 5 highers, not many people achieved straight As or even AAAAB(around 10ish)
    No one did 6 highers.
    So yeah..
    I think you've got plenty of WE, ECA etc. So worry not!

ReputationRep:
    If French is what you enjoy, you can always self-study/go to college. Biology is not necessary if chemical engineering is what you wish to do, but it would be useful have some understanding of biology as it would help with your higher/ advanced higher chemistry.
    Regarding your previous post about people around you having 6/7 highers, I guess you come from a very good school. In my school, only 30% people did 5 highers and out of the 30% who were allowed to do 5 highers, many people did not achieve 5 higher passes. Out of the people who passed all their 5 highers, not many people achieved straight As or even AAAAB(around 10ish)
    No one did 6 highers.
    So yeah..
    I think you've got plenty of WE, ECA etc. So worry not!
    I do go to a fairly good school (at least compared to all the other ones in my surrounding area), I would say around 5-10%ish will have 6 highers then around 3%ish will have 7 highers (these are estimates though). It just feels like I missed an opportunity to gain the extra higher at S4 (French) as I'm pretty certain I would have gotten an A in it

I'm not so interested in French to the extent that I would go on to study it, I just took Maths, English, Physics and Chemistry to be the necessities then decided to have French as the 5th higher as 1) it should be fairly relaxed for me so I can focus more on other weaker subjects 2) better to have a language in there compared to some of the other options.

Will certainly try and gain better understanding in the related areas of Biology as it will help, I was just worried that the actual qualification/award would be largely preferred to get into Chemical.

Again, thank you very much. Very reassuring as I've been worrying a lot about my choices and number of subjects lately

I am in a similar situation as you too!
    It's so stressful thinking about it all.

Even though having 6/7 highers is really awesome, but most people only have 4 highers!
    Appreciate what you've got!
    Plus, music, business and french are not relevant to chemical engineering at all. As long you do well in your maths/chemistry/physics then you are fine. Maybe find a WE or two through school, sign up for placements(nuffield foundation, fuse lab etc.), go to science festivals...
    Also, it is better to get 5As in the subjects you are currently doing than getting As and Bs and Cs in 6/7 subjects.
    What's Fuselab ?

ReputationRep:
    Stop worrying! I know people who got into chemical engineering with no higher biology. Hell my sister got into microbiology despite only having biology at standard grade! The highest entry requirements for chem eng in Scotland are Strathclyde at AAAAB and everyone else needs only need 4 highers. Anything over 5 highers is just overkill! So few people sit 6+ highers in 5th year (I think the figures are in the 100's) that realistically no Scottish uni is going discriminate against you doing "just" 5. Just focus on getting the best grades you can.
    I sat higher English, Maths, Physics, Chemistry and History and I sure as he'll don't feel disadvantaged for applying to chem eng.

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.