Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    So I was genuinely considering studying in America for university and after doing endless hours of research I managed to finally explain to myself how colleges work in the US. Please please please correct me if I'm wrong, this is essentially why I'm posting this so I can know how factual what I've found is and get more advice. Okay so in the US, after finishing school in Year 12 they can go to college with a subject of interest in mind but it doesn't have to be declared and then students graduate with an undergraduate degree that is 4 years long. In the case of medicine or dentistry (something i want to do) they go onto Med/Dental school because there aren't courses in these subjects at an undergraduate degree and for medicine students complete their residency after graduation from Med School which is another 4 years and the residency can take up to 3-7 years? I still have some more questions however, what is the procedure for dentistry? Do UK students still get funding for doing courses such as Medicine and Dentistry even though these course are quicker and cheaper to complete in the UK? PLEASE don't tell me that I should stay in the UK for these courses because they're much quicker here or cheaper as I have been told this several times haha but going to America has very much so been a dream and I've personally seen many international medics students struggle to get a job there despite having done a graduate degree there but not as many medics who've done an undergrad degree there. It's still early days for me as i'll be applying in a few years to either a US or UK university but please if anyone could answer my questions or give me anymore information about funding available to UK students or any other information about studying in the US I'd be so thankful! Thank you so so much!

University open days

  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.