The Student Room Group

CV after first grad job

How would you structure it?

I doubt many employers want to see your history as a waiter or some random volunteering stuff 3-4 years after graduation and with your first post-uni job being a full on professional.

So how would you structure it? Because you can't surely have experience just about that first professional job, or can you?

Also, do A-levels and GCSEs still need to be listed?
I didn't even bother with A-Level results or GCSEs once I left uni with my degree. Employers just don't care about them. Don't put down anything that you don't think will interest them.
Original post by frenchfly
How would you structure it?

I doubt many employers want to see your history as a waiter or some random volunteering stuff 3-4 years after graduation and with your first post-uni job being a full on professional.

So how would you structure it? Because you can't surely have experience just about that first professional job, or can you?

Also, do A-levels and GCSEs still need to be listed?

I've been told education should still be listed but should go to the bottom. I'd still have pre graduation jobs/work experience on my CV because otherwise it would look a little sparse if I'd only had one job post graduation, that's just my two cents.
Reply 3
Original post by jelly1000
I've been told education should still be listed but should go to the bottom. I'd still have pre graduation jobs/work experience on my CV because otherwise it would look a little sparse if I'd only had one job post graduation, that's just my two cents.

Really? I can understand past jobs but will anyone really care about A-levels after your first job? :redface:
Original post by frenchfly
Really? I can understand past jobs but will anyone really care about A-levels after your first job? :redface:

I dunno, I'm just going off what I've been told & seen online. You wouldn't list the subjects & grades, just say 3 A-Levels grades A-C or whatever.
Look on your uni careers site. They may have good info. I kept all my jobs on even pre-uni to bulk out my CV as grad resumes are supposed to be two pages long.... I personally put education at the top, then employment, and under each category put a few bullet points with skills I've developed which were relevant to the role.
Reply 6
Original post by tillytots
Look on your uni careers site. They may have good info. I kept all my jobs on even pre-uni to bulk out my CV as grad resumes are supposed to be two pages long.... I personally put education at the top, then employment, and under each category put a few bullet points with skills I've developed which were relevant to the role.

I'm not sure I'd ever put education at the top unless you have zero relevant experience... But then I suppose my degree isn't that related to the field I work in.

Education should be pretty brief, put A-levels and maybe GCSEs (if you have some spare space) but something like "3 A-B in Physics, Chemistry, Maths. 10 GCSEs" or something should be fine.
Original post by Hanvyj
I'm not sure I'd ever put education at the top unless you have zero relevant experience... But then I suppose my degree isn't that related to the field I work in.

Education should be pretty brief, put A-levels and maybe GCSEs (if you have some spare space) but something like "3 A-B in Physics, Chemistry, Maths. 10 GCSEs" or something should be fine.

I didn't expand on gcse's and a levels, but I dunno I was always told to put education first for your first grad job, but then I didn't really have tons of work experience relevant, only a little bit. I even tried to expand on EC's to make me look well rounded :L. I got the first job I applied for so something must have been done right

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending