Indeterminate
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi guys

So, next month, I'll be upgrading from my existing iPhone 6 Plus, but I've found myself in a strange dilemma.

Basically, I really like the look of the upcoming S6 Edge Plus, but I'm unsure as to whether I'd be able to live with Android or not. I mean, considering the fact that I also have a Mac & iPad, will it make life unnecessarily awkward for me? Other than that, I just love the design of the phone, and the fact that you get a 16MP camera, an exceptional display and wireless charging.

It's also worth saying that, as an Apple loyalist, I'm not too impressed by the fact that the next iPhone won't be much different to the current model. However, part of me still wants to wait for because I won't have to change a thing.

Any advice?
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Indeterminate)
It's also worth saying that, as an Apple loyalist, I'm not too impressed by the fact that the next iPhone won't be much different to the current model. However, part of me still wants to wait for because I won't have to change a thing.

Any advice?
Apple have always had an alternating pattern of major overhaul and incremental upgrade, so the rumours of a minor update are hardly surprising. But why upgrade if it's just to a phone that's virtually the same? The move to something radically different like an Android flagship I can see, but your 6 Plus is only a year old.

As for whether the move to Android is a good idea, it depends on how ingrained you are into iCloud. Do you heavily rely on it to keep the content synced between all of your devices? If so, staying with Apple may be something you decide you favour over trying a different ecosystem. If you aren't strongly tied into regularly syncing your content, then there's no reason not to try something new if you find something else more appealing.
Indeterminate
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
Apple have always had an alternating pattern of major overhaul and incremental upgrade, so the rumours of a minor update are hardly surprising. But why upgrade if it's just to a phone that's virtually the same? The move to something radically different like an Android flagship I can see, but your 6 Plus is only a year old.

As for whether the move to Android is a good idea, it depends on how ingrained you are into iCloud. Do you heavily rely on it to keep the content synced between all of your devices? If so, staying with Apple may be something you decide you favour over trying a different ecosystem. If you aren't strongly tied into regularly syncing your content, then there's no reason not to try something new if you find something else more appealing.
I guess I'd want to have any new features that they do offer with the next model, like force touch or whatever.

All I use is the "automatic downloads" feature on iTunes so that I can access my library on all of my devices. I'm slightly concerned that, with no iTunes app available for Android, it'll be difficult for me to keep my phone up to date.
Indeterminate
Rep:
?
(Original post by Saleha09)
It depends, what do you use your phone for?
Texting, music, apps, etc.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Indeterminate)
I guess I'd want to have any new features that they do offer with the next model, like force touch or whatever.

All I use is the "automatic downloads" feature on iTunes so that I can access my library on all of my devices. I'm slightly concerned that, with no iTunes app available for Android, it'll be difficult for me to keep my phone up to date.
I would say think hard about whether or not upgrading for one or two relatively minor features (presumably, we don't even know how they'll work yet) is worth the hundreds of extra pounds it's going to cost you. Otherwise you're locking yourself in a two year contract when next year will actually be a substantial upgrade, unless you want to spend hundreds of extra pounds again.

You can easily grab the files from your iTunes library on your Mac and drag and drop them onto your Android phone, or into your Google Play library for accessing via the internet. It's not difficult, it just isn't automatic.
Indeterminate
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
I would say think hard about whether or not upgrading for one or two relatively minor features (presumably, we don't even know how they'll work yet) is worth the hundreds of extra pounds it's going to cost you. Otherwise you're locking yourself in a two year contract when next year will actually be a substantial upgrade, unless you want to spend hundreds of extra pounds again.

You can easily grab the files from your iTunes library on your Mac and drag and drop them onto your Android phone, or into your Google Play library for accessing via the internet. It's not difficult, it just isn't automatic.
I suppose you have a point. Last year I paid around £400 to upgrade from the 5S to the 6+, but I might find it hard to justify that if the new features aren't that exciting. I do think that, if I am going to upgrade, then I'd be better off with the Edge+ than pretty much the same phone I have. Otherwise, I think I'd be happy to upgrade to next year when Apple make some bigger changes. Of course, I'll wait until Apple unveil their new device before making a decision, but now I'm more inclined to either get the Edge+ or keep the 6+

Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (188)
57.85%
I don't have everything I need (137)
42.15%

Watched Threads