Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So All though summer i've been working for a Supermarket and they have been messing me around, cutting my hours here putting me on nights randomly (and giving me no choice in the matter) telling me I can't have weekends i've booked off to see people I can't normally see during Term time and telling me because I'm seasonal i have no right to days off or holidays!

I'm sick and tired of it! The hour cutting has always been on the day, a few hours into my shift or the day before so I could have arrange other plans with friends or my partner.

A is this legal
    and B next summer/Christmas should I look for another job!

ReputationRep:
    change job's especially at christmas restaurants need front staff as do big retail store or jewellery stores

ReputationRep:
    A. 1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_Time_Directive pop a gander at this as some of your EU mandated labour rights may be in breach. Notably those regarding night work and rest periods.

A. 2. Employers CAN cancel holiday leave however they must still be giving your your legal entitlements also they bust reburse you for any financial losses incurred by your holiday cancellation (i.e flights etc). Also they must give as much notice as the amount of calender days of leave requested. (i.e if you are requesting 1 week they must give you a weeks notice for cancellation)

A. 3. As a part time worker you DO have holiday entitlement however it is very small. https://www.gov.uk/holiday-entitlement-rights

B. Yes, Always nice to see the other side of the fence in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CAElite)
    A. 1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_Time_Directive pop a gander at this as some of your EU mandated labour rights may be in breach. Notably those regarding night work and rest periods.

A. 2. Employers CAN cancel holiday leave however they must still be giving your your legal entitlements also they bust reburse you for any financial losses incurred by your holiday cancellation (i.e flights etc). Also they must give as much notice as the amount of calender days of leave requested. (i.e if you are requesting 1 week they must give you a weeks notice for cancellation)

A. 3. As a part time worker you DO have holiday entitlement however it is very small. https://www.gov.uk/holiday-entitlement-rights

B. Yes, Always nice to see the other side of the fence in my opinion.
    Thanks i'll have a look into it ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Littleleopard)
    Thanks i'll have a look into it ^^
    If you find that some of your rights are in breach you gotta be smart about it. Inform your section manager (direct superior). Dont *****, dont whine INFORM him that you believe X situation has breached your EU mandated rights for Y. Make sure X is a recent example! Then give it a couple of weeks if the situation continues speak to your department / senior section manager and inform them of the situation also stating that you have spoken to your direct superior.

If the situation is not resolved after that go to the senior or assistant store manager (basicly the top) informing them of the situation in full and the managers involved. On the off occasion that this doesnt sort it some large chains will have whistleblowing staff to enforce there rules which can be found by contacting your HR number at HQ. Failing that you can take your employer to tribunal claiming that the breach of your rights have affected your mental/physical health etc etc and attempt to seek compensation. This last step is EXTREMELY ****ing difficult though and the last couple of tory governments have made it more and more difficult for staff to get back at there employers on legal terms (more leniant courts & heftier fees to go to tribunal)

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.