Turn on thread page Beta

Visiting Iran watch

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone been there? I wanna go next year specifically to Tehran. If you have been there or grew up there have you got any advice or opinions on it? thanks

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Iran, I think you'll really like it there, there's a huge sense of culture and the food is really amazing, plus the people there are really friendly
    The only thing I'd say is anyone who ever goes to Tehran mentions it's really polluted so just be cautious of that, maybe even bring a face mask if you need to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karl pilkington)
    Has anyone been there? I wanna go next year specifically to Tehran. If you have been there or grew up there have you got any advice or opinions on it? thanks
    Oh mighty Karl pilkington is that really you? teach me your ways.

ReputationRep:
    Don't go. If you're gay, or not into wearing head coverings, you'll get harassed by the police.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YellowWallpaper)
    Don't go. If you're gay, or not into wearing head coverings, you'll get harassed by the police.
    Well I'm not Gay and I think women have to wear head coverings

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mintpuppy)
    I'm from Iran, I think you'll really like it there, there's a huge sense of culture and the food is really amazing, plus the people there are really friendly
    The only thing I'd say is anyone who ever goes to Tehran mentions it's really polluted so just be cautious of that, maybe even bring a face mask if you need to.
    Is it safe just to walk around the city also how expensive is stuff in general also can you get buy without speaking farsi thanks

ReputationRep:
    Is it that easy just to go? (I have no idea). My friend had some issue a few years ago - she studied ancient Persian and wanted to go on a cultural trip, but there was some difficult with British passports, so she had to travel on her German one.

That's just a story I heard from her - I'm not sure of the details.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, the government's foreign travel advice for Iran was recently updated so is quite comprehensive.

Might be worth asking your more specific questions in the Persian Soc as there are some users who have been in Iran very recently and they will be best placed to answer your questions.

What I will say is that as long as you adhere to the local customs/laws (which is not as difficult as some will have you believe) then you will have a fantastic trip.

(Original post by YellowWallpaper)
    How exactly will the police know if he is gay? Unless he makes it obvious in public I think he'll be ok (and as we've seen recently, making your (homo)sexuality obvious in public unfortunately remains an issue in Kiev, Moscow and Jerusalem).

As for the 'wearing head coverings', only women have to wear a headscarf and if you knew anything about Iran you'd know that Iranian women barely do this.

It's blindingly obvious that you have never been to Iran.

ReputationRep:
    Is it safe just to walk around the city also how expensive is stuff in general also can you get buy without speaking farsi thanks
    Yep, Tehran is actually really safe (I'd just say be wary of your pockets) and I hear they're really welcoming and kind to foreigners, so you'll get by just fine! A lot of Iranians are taught English in school too so don't worry, they'll understand you well. As for price, it varies, but I think in general it's not too expensive. I hope that helped!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemur12)
    Is it that easy just to go? (I have no idea). My friend had some issue a few years ago - she studied ancient Persian and wanted to go on a cultural trip, but there was some difficult with British passports, so she had to travel on her German one.

The Iranian Embassy in London (and the British Embassy in Tehran) reopened just the other day, improving relations to resident chargé d'affaires (from non-resident) and ambassadors are expected to be appointed within months.

This should make the process a lot smoother, and Iran have been promoting their tourism sector a lot recently so I imagine it should be easier than ever (or at least, for many years) to get a visa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Law-Hopeful)
    ---
    Ah, thank you It would be such a fascinating place to go, but I don't want to be a dumb tourist with no political awareness (not that I could afford it an time soon anyway).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mintpuppy)
    The law in Iran is terrible. They kill people for being gay and imprison them for 'blasphemy'. It's not a very free country, or hasn't been since the Ayatollah's oppressive rule.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theperformer)
    The law in Iran is terrible. They kill people for being gay and imprison them for 'blasphemy'. It's not a very free country, or hasn't been since the Ayatollah's oppressive rule.
    What's your point? OP asked for travel advice, not about the level of oppression.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, thank you It would be such a fascinating place to go, but I don't want to be a dumb tourist with no political awareness (not that I could afford it an time soon anyway).
    No problem.

Many countries have backward laws, Iran is no exception to this rule but I don't think this is the thread to discuss the merits of legal reform in Iran. As mintpuppy asked, what is your point exactly?

ReputationRep:

you have to get a visa and you can't have travelled to Israel but it is easier now as sanctions have been lifted

ReputationRep:
    Just because you travel to a country doesn't mean you agree with their policies. The people are probably largely perfectly lovely people.

ReputationRep:
    you have to get a visa and you can't have travelled to Israel but it is easier now as sanctions have been lifted
    They have a reached a deal to lift the sanctions, but the sanctions haven't actually been lifted yet. Most of the sanctions should start to be lifted by the start of 2016.

It should still be relatively straightforward for you to get a visa before then, though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to Iran in literally 3 days. A lot of websites like facebook, bbc etc are all blocked so that's a bit annoying. I get bored a lot tbh. Wouldn't see why anyone would want to visit if they didn't have family there. :dontknow:

Just because you travel to a country doesn't mean you agree with their policies. The people are probably largely perfectly lovely people.

ReputationRep:
    If you have a fascination for culture and history its great. You as a westerner will probably be invited to random peoples homes for tea, dinner etc so expect great hospitality. Like for example i was in a fast food joint and two western backpackers came in for a burger and just because they were foreign the chef came out and shook their hands and stuff lol. Also food stuffs are extremely cheap in comparison to here. For the most part you won't be overcharged because you are a westerner but you might wanna take a iranian speaking freind with you just incase.

p.s. before you go make sure to download a vpn on your phone to be able to acess facebook etc

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.