hollyxjay
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So I chose a new set of subjects to take for AS today. I'm happy with two out of three of my choices and they are comeoeltlt different to what I took originally. I was wondering what those who have already gone though the subjects could tell me about them.
I have chosen:

• government and politics
• sociology
• english lang

I didn't really want to do english language but the person who enrolled me just put it down and wouldn't stop pushing it because I got an A* at GCSE. But I don't know what to chnage to or if I should stick it out. I also got told that government was extremely hard to pass and I also don't know if I would enjoy sociology. I want to do law or forensic psychology at uni if that helps to provide advice.

Thanks
Saleha09
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Definitely don't do english lang if you don't enjoy it, you wont get through it if you havent got any passion for it.. Have you got a career in mind?
vis break
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did Eng Lang this year. I found the coursework and the language and gender portion of the exam the most interesting. All the crap about verbs/nouns/adjectives is bs I hate it. I love politics, the essays werent that hard to write either.
katiejardine
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by holly1798)
So I chose a new set of subjects to take for AS today. I'm happy with two out of three of my choices and they are comeoeltlt different to what I took originally. I was wondering what those who have already gone though the subjects could tell me about them.
I have chosen:

• sociology
• english lang

I didn't really want to do english language but the person who enrolled me just put it down and wouldn't stop pushing it because I got an A* at GCSE. But I don't know what to chnage to or if I should stick it out. I also got told that government was extremely hard to pass and I also don't know if I would enjoy sociology. I want to do law or forensic psychology at uni if that helps to provide advice.

Thanks
I studied Sociology at AS (OCR) and achieved an A (or A* equivalent at AS). Personally I'd say sociology - although it might be considered a 'soft' subject - would be a good subject to take, especially if you're interested in law or psychology as sociology is basically the study of society and people. For me AS was all about the Family but that varies according to exam boards, this year it's Crime and Deviance and Inequality. Sociology is very broad and has theories for things you might not have of ever considered, for me it helped me understand and see society.

Plus it develops your essay skills which is good for Uni in general
hollyxjay
Rep:
?
(Original post by katiejardine)
I studied Sociology at AS (OCR) and achieved an A (or A* equivalent at AS). Personally I'd say sociology - although it might be considered a 'soft' subject - would be a good subject to take, especially if you're interested in law or psychology as sociology is basically the study of society and people. For me AS was all about the Family but that varies according to exam boards, this year it's Crime and Deviance and Inequality. Sociology is very broad and has theories for things you might not have of ever considered, for me it helped me understand and see society.

Plus it develops your essay skills which is good for Uni in general
Okay so I'm deffo like the sound of sociology in that case! What kind of stuff did you cover?
hollyxjay
Rep:
?
(Original post by vis break)
I did Eng Lang this year. I found the coursework and the language and gender portion of the exam the most interesting. All the crap about verbs/nouns/adjectives is bs I hate it. I love politics, the essays werent that hard to write either.
I've looked at Goverment & Politics work and I don't know why they are suggesting as hard as it is. But I'm still very unsure on the whole English Language front even so...
vis break
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've looked at Goverment & Politics work and I don't know why they are suggesting as hard as it is. But I'm still very unsure on the whole English Language front even so...
Tbh, I did hate English Language, and I still do. It's absolute bs as a course, where you have to compare 7 different texts in a 1 hour paper. I probably wouldn't recommend it tbh, most of it was boring and actually difficult.
txmidayoxo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why not English Literature?
hollyxjay
Rep:
?
(Original post by txmidayoxo)
Why not English Literature?
i have never done English lit so I'm worried I will throw myself in at the deep end and not know anything...plus I hate poetry and I know that's a lot of the work...if it was just books and novels all the way though I would but I just wouldn't enjoy he poetry stuff and all and probably never even pay attention
hollyxjay
Rep:
?
(Original post by vis break)
Tbh, I did hate English Language, and I still do. It's absolute bs as a course, where you have to compare 7 different texts in a 1 hour paper. I probably wouldn't recommend it tbh, most of it was boring and actually difficult.
It really doesn't sound like something I would care about or enjoy :/ I'm kind of annoyed he has signed me up for it now even when I said I didn't want to do it but I will ask to change it as soon as I have my induction I think. I don't know what I would replace it with, but still...
katiejardine
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Okay so I'm deffo like the sound of sociology in that case! What kind of stuff did you cover?
AS was about Family so that covered everything from different types of family structure, the dark side if the family (abuse etc), gender roles, family diversity and macro/micro views on the family as a whole. I only did this option but many schools on OCR teach two topics e.g. Family and Education, or Family and Media etc. Then there's different exam boards so its pretty wide in terms of what you could be taught.

We also did Socialization, Culture and Identity which is about socialization (who you're raised/taught by the different agents of socialization), creation of identity (age, gender, ethnicity) and different types of culture such as popular or high culture, multiculturalism etc.

There was also a section of research methods which basically crossed over with what you're also taught in psychology at AS.

Sociology is also one of the subjects that is really easy to pick up even without doing it at GCSE, all you have to be able to do is remember theories and statistics and be able to write a good coherent essay

It is a lot of stuff to remember to get the top grades but you could pass just by knowing the basic theories as well.
AGalletly
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Speaking from personal experience I would recommend doing 4 subjects for AS. This is because if you were to fail one then you will have to redo the year, and trust me it is no fun.

If you are looking for a career in Law and Forensic Psychology then you should look through University websites and see what they are looking for subject wise, you may discover you are doing the wrong subjects.
Windies
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have chosen:

• sociology
• english lang

Thanks
Try History? Will fit in perfectly with Law.
Also perhaps Literature.
NiamhGibson
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did Sociology for 2 years at GCSE and have decided to continue with it for AS. It's a very interesting, engaging subject and you can apply it to daily life in so many aspects. Also, you cover such a wide range of modules that is very easy to relate to, which makes it far more enjoyable to study. I am taking AS Law, AS Psychology and AS History alongside Sociology as from experience, I know that there are many occasions on which these subjects cross over! I am also planning to do a Law degree at university! I hope this helps you work out what you'd like to study
hollyxjay
Rep:
?
(Original post by AGalletly)
Speaking from personal experience I would recommend doing 4 subjects for AS. This is because if you were to fail one then you will have to redo the year, and trust me it is no fun.

If you are looking for a career in Law and Forensic Psychology then you should look through University websites and see what they are looking for subject wise, you may discover you are doing the wrong subjects.
I can't do four because I am having to sit GCSE maths again alongside my AS. I can't risk redoing the year because I have already been set behind a year I should really being doing A2 now when I'm only just starting AS and that's why I need to try and make the right choice now rather than pay for it later :/
hollyxjay
Rep:
?
(Original post by NiamhGibson)
I did Sociology for 2 years at GCSE and have decided to continue with it for AS. It's a very interesting, engaging subject and you can apply it to daily life in so many aspects. Also, you cover such a wide range of modules that is very easy to relate to, which makes it far more enjoyable to study. I am taking AS Law, AS Psychology and AS History alongside Sociology as from experience, I know that there are many occasions on which these subjects cross over! I am also planning to do a Law degree at university! I hope this helps you work out what you'd like to study
They do offer Law but it's also a BTEC which is why I am a little reserved about taking it because I don't know how uni's feel about it? If my that would be my first choice but I just really want to get rid of English language now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (97)
28.45%
No - I have already returned home (44)
12.9%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (65)
19.06%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (34)
9.97%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed