Turn on thread page Beta

IIFYM - Help tracking Macros watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey there,

Height: 5'10

I've been training since August 14th 2014 just over a year now and have gained weight from 49kg to 66kg. However, I haven't tracked macros ever since and wanted to start tracking as I want to see better results.

This was my 1st year training but not tracking macros: http://imgur.com/53A6z1Z

I want to bulk from 66kg to 72.5-75kg(160-165lb) but If I bulk slowly and put 2-4lb/month it would take me 5-6 months. Would you say that's a long enough time parameter for bulking or?

What scales do you use to track your meals? If there are times where you can't measure how far off are you from estimating? What carbs/ protein/ fat split are you using?

I'm trying 40 Carbs/ 40 Protein/ 20 Fat split ->

Maintenance at 66kg: 2538 calories/day

Carbs: 254g
    Protein: 254g
    Fat: 56g

However, since I'm bulking: 2738 calories/day

Carbs: 274g
    Protein: 274g
    Fat: 61g

Lastly, do you use myfitnesspal and record your meals or do you prefer to write them down?

ReputationRep:
    You've added 30% to your body weight in a year and by the looks of it you're reasonably lean so well done. It seems like you're making very good progress anyway so is there really a need to track your macros?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    If 2500 is truly your maintenance, then 2700ish will see you gaining about a couple of lbs a month which is very sensible, much more than that and you'll start gaining unnecessary fat and no extra muscle gain. But that 2500 is a an estimate, it'll be trial and error to discover how much you really need to be eating.

I've never liked MFP, too many errors and inaccuracies on there for my liking. Looking at the nutritionals and making sure I know how much (as in weight) I'm eating has always worked well for me, and taking a mental tally of how much I've eaten in a day. Not to say you have to remember that you've just eaten 568kcal for example, but round it up or down to the nearest hundred (or maybe round it down if you've eaten a bit more than normal that day or vice versa). As far as macronutrient breakdown, I wouldn't get too caught up in it either - just aim for roughly your bodyweight in lbs for grams of protein, and fill the rest of your calories out with carbs and fats as they come, most people will get a good balance if you don't either fill it out with overly fatty foods or go for low fat options in everything you eat. I try to tip the balance over to carbs on workout days, but this sort of auto-regulates itself where I make an effort to get a lot of carbs around my workouts anyway - a meal high in complex carbs beforehand, some fast-ingesting maltodextrin during and after and another meal high in complex carbs an hour or two after my workout.

The above has always worked for me when bulking, worked consistently when cutting too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    x
    Thanks for the advice, I'll take it on board.

If you don't mind me asking how long you've been training? What was your weight before you started and currently atm?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by XxKingSniprxX)
    Thanks for the advice, I'll take it on board.

If you don't mind me asking how long you've been training? What was your weight before you started and currently atm?
    About 3 years now mate, started at about 140lbs and now floating at around 200lbs fairly lean.

ReputationRep:
    About 3 years now mate, started at about 140lbs and now floating at around 200lbs fairly lean.
    Nice! How long do you see yourself lifting for? Do you have any goals for yourself?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nice! How long do you see yourself lifting for? Do you have any goals for yourself?
    As long as I'm able My end goal is to be about 220lbs lean. I realise this is definitely beyond what's naturally capable even for someone that's 6'2'' like me, and I don't think I'm far off my natural genetic potential as it stands now so I've started reading up on steroids :lol: If you think Arnold in T2 (he was 223lbs in that film) and someone like Sergi Constance who is also about 220 or a little less, my bodyshape falls somewhere between theirs by the looks of it so hopefully I can achieve that sort of look.

ReputationRep:
    As long as I'm able My end goal is to be about 220lbs lean. I realise this is definitely beyond what's naturally capable even for someone that's 6'2'' like me, and I don't think I'm far off my natural genetic potential as it stands now so I've started reading up on steroids :lol:
    Haha. I'm so jealous I'm 5'10 and short af.

What got you into lifting?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Haha. I'm so jealous I'm 5'10 and short af.

What got you into lifting?
    5'10'' ain't short

Well obviously at that weight I was skinny as ****, people would comment on it and when I realised I was becoming insecure over it I though sod this, better start lifting some weights :lol: Started on a dumbbell only routine at home with a bench and pullup bar, but I did a lot of reading up on programs and so on and just adjusted things to make do with what I had, you can do variations of most barbell exercises with dumbbells anyway so there was no issue there. Did eventually pick up a barbell on the cheap but soon after that I realised, I'm either gonna have to spend quite a bit on some new plates or I could spend the same money on a year's gym membership, so it seemed like a no brainer since I'd passed my driving test and got on the road since I started lifting anyway (which was one of the main things putting me off going to the gym when I first started, living two buses away from the nearest gym).

ReputationRep:
    x
    What gym do you mind me asking do you go to? Is driving a must for you to get to the gym?

I go to Fitness First and my gym is 3-5 mins walk away although I'm considering to join Virgin active gym, which is 10 mins walk further away but means I don't have to wait ages to use equipment etc. Wbu? Hows your gym? How much do you pay/month?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    What gym do you mind me asking do you go to? Is driving a must for you to get to the gym?

I go to Fitness First and my gym is 3-5 mins walk away although I'm considering to join Virgin active gym, which is 10 mins walk further away but means I don't have to wait ages to use equipment etc. Wbu? Hows your gym? How much do you pay/month?
    Fair enough, mine's more of a backstreet meat-head gym haha. But yeah, I mean I could walk 5 minutes down the road, catch a bus, get off at the bus station, catch another bus, then walk another 5 minutes to the gym, but that's a lot of aggro plus I prefer to train at night and the bus times are extremely awkward in the evenings. If I tried walking it then it'd take me nearly an hour each way, sod that haha. Whereas driving there in the evening takes me 15 minutes

It's a good gym tbf, pretty big in there, dumbbells go up to 50kg, plenty of benches to go around, few squat racks, leg presses, tonnes of plate loaded Hammer Strength machines and even more selectorised type machines for when I'm feeling lazy haha. I pay a yearly membership of 170 quid. I imagine chain gyms get a bit pricey?

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, mine's more of a backstreet meat-head gym haha. But yeah, I mean I could walk 5 minutes down the road, catch a bus, get off at the bus station, catch another bus, then walk another 5 minutes to the gym, but that's a lot of aggro plus I prefer to train at night and the bus times are extremely awkward in the evenings. If I tried walking it then it'd take me nearly an hour each way, sod that haha. Whereas driving there in the evening takes me 15 minutes

It's a good gym tbf, pretty big in there, dumbbells go up to 50kg, plenty of benches to go around, few squat racks, leg presses, tonnes of plate loaded Hammer Strength machines and even more selectorised type machines for when I'm feeling lazy haha. I pay a yearly membership of 170 quid. I imagine chain gyms get a bit pricey?
    Damn, I pay £40/month at Fitness first and Virgin Active prices are £60-80/month.
    £14/month its pretty amazing if you get plenty of benches, few squat racks, and the equipment you mentioned. Commerical chain gyms are pricey and often not worth the money. I wish I could find a simplistic small local old school gym.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Damn, I pay £40/month at Fitness first and Virgin Active prices are £60-80/month.
    £14/month its pretty amazing if you get plenty of benches, few squat racks, and the equipment you mentioned. Commerical chain gyms are pricey and often not worth the money. I wish I could find a simplistic small local old school gym.
    Yeah I think they charge £20 for a monthly fee if you wanna pay monthly, still damn cheap Do get some nice girls in there as well, it's got the main area with all the cardio machines and selectorised weight machines and then a big area round the corner at the back with all the big boys toys :lol:

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.