What would you like to have know before you started A levels at your sixth form coll Watch

ThePoPo9
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, I'm starting sixth form college in a few weeks and I was wondering what students who are still doing/have done their A levels would like to have know beforehand in terms of the first few weeks there, the transition between secondary school and sixth form college, the workload, the new class mates and just in general.

Many thanks for any replies
kennz
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
exam boards for courses, some like ocr and MEI are pretty difficult compared to others but it depends on the student.
I wouldn't really worry about workload, its pretty predictable. BTECs have lots of coursework but its easier than physics homework. The highest workload A levels are history, English, maths, biology,maybe the languages. But it varies, the school decides on the workload. I would ask about prospects of gcse to A level grades so what grades in your subjects do people get with similar gcse grade to you. This will give you a baseline to target settings , I was predicted CBCC in maths further maths physics and psychology respectively but got AABA so targets are exceedable.( not a word but anyway). To be honest, you don't need to ask many questions really, you'll know most of it and learn the rest along the way. Ask me if you have specific questions
ThePoPo9
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by kennz)
exam boards for courses, some like ocr and MEI are pretty difficult compared to others but it depends on the student.
I wouldn't really worry about workload, its pretty predictable. BTECs have lots of coursework but its easier than physics homework. The highest workload A levels are history, English, maths, biology,maybe the languages. But it varies, the school decides on the workload. I would ask about prospects of gcse to A level grades so what grades in your subjects do people get with similar gcse grade to you. This will give you a baseline to target settings , I was predicted CBCC in maths further maths physics and psychology respectively but got AABA so targets are exceedable.( not a word but anyway). To be honest, you don't need to ask many questions really, you'll know most of it and learn the rest along the way. Ask me if you have specific questions
Thanks for the advice. I'll be doing bio chem maths and physics, what do you think i could expect going into college with these subjects?
kennz
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ThePoPo9)
Thanks for the advice. I'll be doing bio chem maths and physics, what do you think i could expect going into college with these subjects?
maths- lots of homework, but if you do the work, the course I easy since maths exams are easy to prepare for. 75% of the course being algebra with algebra appearing in statistics.
physics- lot harder than gcse, massive step up. Hard exams, but not much homework which makes you do a lot of independent work not set by teachers. Also the most interesting subject.
Biology-,lots of vocabulary and homework. Probably the most content to require for an exam for your a levels. Exams are probably easier than physics but harder than maths.
Chemistry - mostly organic chemistry with most of the maths being balancing equations or moles. Probably as hard as biology.
All in all, a heavy workload, but with interesting subject.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (495)
91.16%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (48)
8.84%

Watched Threads