Turn on thread page Beta

What do you think feminism is? watch

ReputationRep:
    Tumblr and the media has messed up the original ideology of feminism and people now think that feminism is about hating men and it really isn't. I want to see how many people are mistaking misandrism (hatred of men) with feminism ☺️ It's like a social experiment? A flawed one, but I need to see how much damage has been done 😁

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sfairy27)
    Tumblr and the media has messed up the original ideology of feminism and people now think that feminism is about hating men and it really isn't. I want to see how many people are mistaking misandrism (hatred of men) with feminism ☺️ It's like a social experiment? A flawed one, but I need to see how much damage has been done 😁
    I have this argument with people all the time : why do so many men think feminism is bad?

I am a feminist - a male feminist. A lot of people would snarl at the idea of a "male feminist" existing. People think the phrase itself is an oxymoron. I think a lot of the damage is less done by tumblr and social media but more by those few extremist feminists who are misandrists calling themselves feminists.

A lot of my male friends are put off of the idea of feminism not by the ideologies but the name ; they wonder why it can't be called "equalitism" or something more equal. A part of the problem is that people hear "fem"inism and assume it to be about making women the dominant gender whereas it's all about equality. So these few "feminists" ( I like to call them terrorist-feminists) who rant about men and call for their deaths on social media are really the problem . It's these awful videos that go viral , rather than the excellent speeches by world famous feminists such as Emma Watson.

So feminism , for me , is the necessary change within society that is needed to ensure that everyone is treated equally , irrespective of gender . That is male , female , gender fluid , a-gender etcetera. Sadly feminism is to a lot of (and too many) people this image of women running down the street , chasing men with pitchforks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calsiwm_Silicad)
    I have this argument with people all the time : why do so many men think feminism is bad?

I am a feminist - a male feminist. A lot of people would snarl at the idea of a "male feminist" existing. People think the phrase itself is an oxymoron. I think a lot of the damage is less done by tumblr and social media but more by those few extremist feminists who are misandrists calling themselves feminists.

A lot of my male friends are put off of the idea of feminism not by the ideologies but the name ; they wonder why it can't be called "equalitism" or something more equal. A part of the problem is that people hear "fem"inism and assume it to be about making women the dominant gender whereas it's all about equality. So these few "feminists" ( I like to call them terrorist-feminists) who rant about men and call for their deaths on social media are really the problem . It's these awful videos that go viral , rather than the excellent speeches by world famous feminists such as Emma Watson.

So feminism , for me , is the necessary change within society that is needed to ensure that everyone is treated equally , irrespective of gender . That is male , female , gender fluid , a-gender etcetera. Sadly feminism is to a lot of (and too many) people this image of women running down the street , chasing men with pitchforks.
    Exactly my point, misandrism is not feminism and I'm glad that some people see it ☺️ Thank you for replying 😄

ReputationRep:
    I see feminism as a movement for equality on the behalf of women. They ignore the problems men face and cherry pick the problems women face, which in itself creates inequality.

ReputationRep:
    It was 'Go Topless Day' today.

Bat**** insane ideas like that is what makes feminism a bit of a joke now.

Of course, if more were to participate I may reconsider my opinion on modern feminism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by york_wbu)
    I see feminism as a movement for equality on the behalf of women. They ignore the problems men face and cherry pick the problems women face, which in itself creates inequality.
    Real feminists help men fight for custody in court, this is what I mean. There are so many misconstrued ideas about what feminism is nowadays that even some feminists have no idea what we stand for: equality of the sexes. Although the movement began on the behalf of women, now people realise that in some areas men are treated unfairly as well 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TornadoGR4)
    It was 'Go Topless Day' today.

Bat**** insane ideas like that is what makes feminism a bit of a joke now.

Of course, if more were to participate I may reconsider my opinion on modern feminism.
    Yeah, it's like the whole 'Don't shave, you're giving in to the patriarchy' thing. If you don't want to shave, good for you, but I like having smooth legs thanks.

You want to go topless and free the nipples?? Good for you, I don't personally feel comfortable with it, but good for you

I think that a lot of feminists have very strong opinions about so many things that, perhaps, in expressing these opinions they come across as overly aggressive (I am guilty when it comes to immigration arguments) and then they kind of force their ideas on other people without discussion and acceptance of boundaries?? Idk, just an observation

ReputationRep:
    Real feminists help men fight for custody in court, this is what I mean. There are so many misconstrued ideas about what feminism is nowadays that even some feminists have no idea what we stand for: equality of the sexes. Although the movement began on the behalf of women, now people realise that in some areas men are treated unfairly as well 😊
    Can't find anywhere (like wikipedia or the oxford dictionary) that defines feminism in this way, I've never seen this in practice and it wouldn't make sense. Feminism, by definition, isn't about helping men directly, it's about making women equal to men.

ReputationRep:
    It's like giving a healthy animal a better diet than an animal with diabetes. That's not closing the health gap is it?

Feminism concentrates on female issues because legal equality hasn't addressed social inequalities that related to thousands of years of paternal structures.

For example - the idea of ownership, domination and psychologically controlling a woman's sexuality (by saying that she is worthless or unworthy of love if she openly admits to enjoying sex) or deriding women's abilities and ambitions like "throwing like a girl", calling people "pussies" and assuming that ALL women wouldn't have any knowledge about a particular subject.

It's like thinking that equal opportunities acts and laws have eradicated racial discrimination in the workplace racial discrimination is incredibly hard to prove. Unless you're a complete simpleton, someone racist will simply give a different reason not to hire someone of whatever ethnicity they didn't like.

Recent legal equality doesn't all of a sudden eradicate sexual or gender discrimination either.

ReputationRep:
    Can't find anywhere (like wikipedia or the oxford dictionary) that defines feminism in this way, I've never seen this in practice and it wouldn't make sense. Feminism, by definition, isn't about helping men directly, it's about making women equal to men.
    Feminism is about equality of the sexes

I'm just stating a fact, some feminists have been known to help men with court cases concerning custody for children because they believe that it is wrong to assume that men are worse parents than women

ReputationRep:
    Feminism is about equality of the sexes

I'm just stating a fact, some feminists have been known to help men with court cases concerning custody for children because they believe that it is wrong to assume that men are worse parents than women
    But it's not the 'feminist' part of them that makes them do that, it's because they are good people. Feminism is a label, nothing more. Being a feminist only means that you fight for equality on the behalf of women, it has nothing to do with fighting for men's rights.

ReputationRep:
    But it is not equality. Even mild feminists support quotas to ensure we have women in high power positions like in government (see recent Tory cabinet). Women need to realise that they should only get a job based on merit, not just because they are women - because that's not equal!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I disagree here tbh. I blame only the media.

Why? What makes a better headline
    "Feminist woman doesn't want to be attacked in the street" - the vast majority of feminists I know
    "TUMBLR FEMINAZI'S SAY HOW WOMAN DESERVE TO BE ABOVE MEN" - a very, very low number of "feminists"

Yeah now and again Tumblr can go a little OTT but I blame entirely the media

(Oh and to answer your question the equality of sexes)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phoenixsilver)
    But it is not equality. Even mild feminists support quotas to ensure we have women in high power positions like in government (see recent Tory cabinet). Women need to realise that they should only get a job based on merit, not just because they are women - because that's not equal!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is the thing though. Even if I was the most qualified, the most charismatic and the best candidate for Prime Minister there would still be some chauvinistic pig in the back making sure that his opinion was heard that a woman is too 'hormonal' to run a country or, worse, he may go back to Victorian times and reference the biased studies that women's brains aren't as developed.

Of course, if a man is better then he should get the job, that isn't in dispute,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eveiebaby)
    It's like giving a healthy animal a better diet than an animal with diabetes. That's not closing the health gap is it?

Feminism concentrates on female issues because legal equality hasn't addressed social inequalities that related to thousands of years of paternal structures.

For example - the idea of ownership, domination and psychologically controlling a woman's sexuality (by saying that she is worthless or unworthy of love if she openly admits to enjoying sex) or deriding women's abilities and ambitions like "throwing like a girl", calling people "pussies" and assuming that ALL women wouldn't have any knowledge about a particular subject.

It's like thinking that equal opportunities acts and laws have eradicated racial discrimination when any tom **** or harry could conjure a reason not to hire someone, when really it was their religion or ethnicity that was the deciding factor.
    Like I said, feminists often ignore the problems men face. The word pussy, for example, is much more often used on men than women as a form of peer pressure. Feminists complaining about social inequalities is a large part of the cause of hundreds of thousands of boys being put on ritalin, to make them conform to less boy-like behaviour.

I think what a lot of feminists don't accept is that men and women are fundamentally different, it's not just society that makes them different. There will be a difference in the distribution of genders in certain jobs/subjects and a difference in behavior. There is a much bigger difference, genetically, between men and women, compared to different races.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamCee)
    I disagree here tbh. I blame only the media.

Why? What makes a better headline
    "Feminist woman doesn't want to be attacked in the street" - the vast majority of feminists I know
    "TUMBLR FEMINAZI'S SAY HOW WOMAN DESERVE TO BE ABOVE MEN" - a very, very low number of "feminists"

Yeah now and again Tumblr can go a little OTT but I blame entirely the media

(Oh and to answer your question the equality of sexes)
    I think my issue with Tumblr is that sometimes it can get a little bit too dramatic and because there are a lot of strong personalities on one website, well, things get crazy and there is a lot of pressure to take up certain opinions. Which I hate 😂

The media, where do I start with the media??

To sum it up perfectly, there was a mass coverage of Kylie Jenner's 18th birthday in which she got a new car and partied with her rich friends and barely any coverage of Malala Yousafzai's 18th in which she opened up a school in Syria.

That is the media in one sentence.

ReputationRep:
    lol

ReputationRep:
    This is the thing though. Even if I was the most qualified, the most charismatic and the best candidate for Prime Minsiter there would still be some chauvinistic pig in the back making sure that his opinion was heard that a woman is too 'hormonal' to run a country or, worse, he may go back to Victorian times and reference the biased studies that women's brains aren't as developed.

Of course, if a man is better then he should get the job, that isn't in dispute,
    Who is this pig then? Because they need to be named and shamed.
    I think women need to stop acting like victims and saying they are the best at everything - imagine the outcry if men said "we are better at politics" yet women constantly claim they are better at things, multitasking, leadership, caring etc. And we have to take it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calsiwm_Silicad)

I am a feminist - a male feminist. .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eveiebaby)

It's like thinking that equal opportunities acts and laws have eradicated racial discrimination in the workplace racial discrimination is incredibly hard to prove. Unless you're a complete simpleton, someone racist will simply give a different reason not to hire someone of whatever ethnicity they didn't like.

Recent legal equality doesn't all of a sudden eradicate sexual or gender discrimination either.
    How about this I just read today?

"
    It is for this reason that both perpetrator and victim enter a conspiracy of silence and why male survivors often find, once their story is discovered, that they lose the support and comfort of those around them. In the patriarchal societies found in many developing countries, gender roles are strictly defined.

"In Africa no man is allowed to be vulnerable," says RLP's gender officer Salome Atim. "You have to be masculine, strong. You should never break down or cry. A man must be a leader and provide for the whole family. When he fails to reach that set standard, society perceives that there is something wrong."Often, she says, wives who discover their husbands have been raped decide to leave them.

"They ask me: 'So now how am I going to live with him? As what? Is this still a husband? Is it a wife?' They ask, 'If he can be raped, who is protecting me?' There's one family I have been working closely with in which the husband has been raped twice. When his wife discovered this, she went home, packed her belongings, picked up their child and left. Of course that brought down this man's heart."

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...he-rape-of-men

Ye, gender roles don;t ever effect men negatively :rolleyes:

You get raped and then abandoned by your wife who takes way your children.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.