Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone else find Madrid a bit of a let down? watch

ReputationRep:
    I would class it as one of my least memorable destinations, the only glaring highlights being a day trip to Segovia (beautiful and idllyic) and Toledo.

Madrid is a busy city, it does give off a regal feel to it, it's clean, some nice buildings, good transport but not much to see and do in the city itself. It does seem quite museum centric in terms of attractions but not exciting ones.

On the other hand I class Lisbon as a gem - a beautiful city that retains a modesty.

ReputationRep:
    I loved Madrid

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes, totally agree (and just reading the thread title my first thought was "go to Lisbon instead")

I like Madrid. I could happily live and work there. But it has no real wow factor for me. The architecture isn't particularly interesting and there's no stunning mountains, impressive river, nice coastline etc- it's just a big city in the middle of a flat plain with an awful climate. That said though, it has a great atmosphere, good food and amazing art (I'm not really an art person though- which probably explains why I don't 'get' the hype over Madrid). It'd be a lovely place to go for a last minute weekend break; I don't think anyone could be miserable there- but it just doesn't excite me as some other places do.

I love Lisbon for the geography, the beautiful views, diverse architecture, mix of old and new, sense of being quite old fashioned in places and a bit rundown but also modern elsewhere. Plus the pace is a bit less frantic and it's more obviously multicultural.

I'd never tell anyone not to go to Madrid though; it just wouldn't be the first place I'd recommend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by standreams)
    Yes, totally agree (and just reading the thread title my first thought was "go to Lisbon instead")

I like Madrid. I could happily live and work there. But it has no real wow factor for me. The architecture isn't particularly interesting and there's no stunning mountains, impressive river, nice coastline etc- it's just a big city in the middle of a flat plain with an awful climate. That said though, it has a great atmosphere, good food and amazing art (I'm not really an art person though- which probably explains why I don't 'get' the hype over Madrid). It'd be a lovely place to go for a last minute weekend break; I don't think anyone could be miserable there- but it just doesn't excite me as some other places do.

I love Lisbon for the geography, the beautiful views, diverse architecture, mix of old and new, sense of being quite old fashioned in places and a bit rundown but also modern elsewhere. Plus the pace is a bit less frantic and it's more obviously multicultural.
    I'd never tell anyone not to go to Madrid though; it just wouldn't be the first place I'd recommend.
    Good description. I particularly liked all the old run down buildings which looked like they must've been grand in the past. I fell for the beauty of Lisbon from the air when i first arrived - such a lovely setting by the sea and all.

ReputationRep:
    Good for eating and drinking cheaply and soaking up classic Spanish atmosphere. Not so good for sights, natural or man-made.

Agree that Lisbon is better in all aspects, though that's not to knock Madrid - I always enjoy it when I go and I'd happily move there. My idea of a good time includes bar-hopping and supping cañas, so it largely works for me.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.