Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey so I'm applying for Medicine this year, and I'm pretty confused about what course I should choose for my 5th choice since UCAS only allows 4 unis for med? Is it possible to apply fir something completely unrelated like Law, or does it have to be sth science related like BioMed?

ReputationRep:
    Most popular options include BioMedical Sciences, Pharmacy, the separate sciences or perhaps maybe like an engineering course?

From what I've read online, you CAN apply to something unrelated as your 5th option, such as Law, but it's important to keep in mind that the same Medical personal statement you send off to your main 4 Universities will also be sent to the one that you're applying to Law for. Although I believe 2 different personal statements can be made for the different courses, I think this is quite unlikely. Also you should keep in mind that admissions tutors for Medicine, and Law, Medicine especially, it being such a big commitment and so competitive, will look for candidates with a STRONG commitment and determination shown for Medicine and becoming a doctor, and while you can state some Law-related points, it's not going to show a lot of commitment...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yepthatsme)
    Most popular options include BioMedical Sciences, Pharmacy, the separate sciences or perhaps maybe like an engineering course?

From what I've read online, you CAN apply to something unrelated as your 5th option, such as Law, but it's important to keep in mind that the same Medical personal statement you send off to your main 4 Universities will also be sent to the one that you're applying to Law for. Although I believe 2 different personal statements can be made for the different courses, I think this is quite unlikely. Also you should keep in mind that admissions tutors for Medicine, and Law, Medicine especially, it being such a big commitment and so competitive, will look for candidates with a STRONG commitment and determination shown for Medicine and becoming a doctor, and while you can state some Law-related points, it's not going to show a lot of commitment...
    Yeah I'm worried about the committment thing :/ but I really wamt to have a safety option, and I don't think I'd like Pharmacy or Biomed tbh, but I have an interest in Law due to my paremts being lawyers. I dont know what to do.
    Who would I need to contact to write another personal statement for Law? Ucas or the uni directly?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 24, 2015

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.