Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    When buying scratch cards at the CO OP I am constantly ID'd. I do not have a problem with showing my driving licence but are they allowed to quiz me? Asking for date of birth and adding up my age despite it having a photo card. Furthermore, if they refuse my sale (of a scratch card), despite seeing a genuine drivers licence, are they allowed to refuse my parents from purchasing a scratch card (for themselves) on the grounds that they may give it to me.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OliverNarramore)
    When buying scratch cards at the CO OP I am constantly ID'd. I do not have a problem with showing my driving licence but are they allowed to quiz me? Asking for date of birth and adding up my age despite it having a photo card. Furthermore, if they refuse my sale (of a scratch card), despite seeing a genuine drivers licence, are they allowed to refuse my parents from purchasing a scratch card (for themselves) on the grounds that they may give it to me.

Thanks!
    A large number of teenagers use elaborate means to purchase things they're not old enough to. It's perfectly reasonable to ask someone what their date of birth is whilst checking their ID or other related questions. As for your other question, if the person serving has reason to believe that someone is purchasing something age restricted for someone underage then yes they can refuse to sell it to them.

People working in these jobs aren't doing it to piss you off or ruin your fun, there are often test purchases done using underage people, if caught selling age restricted products to underage people by the authorities you can end up with a hefty fine and lose your job. In the end, if you're old enough, take it as a compliment that you look young, don't wish away your youth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    A large number of teenagers use elaborate means to purchase things they're not old enough to. It's perfectly reasonable to ask someone what their date of birth is whilst checking their ID or other related questions. As for your other question, if the person serving has reason to believe that someone is purchasing something age restricted for someone underage then yes they can refuse to sell it to them.

People working in these jobs aren't doing it to piss you off or ruin your fun, there are often test purchases done using underage people, if caught selling age restricted products to underage people by the authorities you can end up with a hefty fine and lose your job. In the end, if you're old enough, take it as a compliment that you look young, don't wish away your youth.
    As moonkatt said, it's annoying but they aren't doing it to spite you. There are real consequences to people if they serve age restricted stuff to those underage and the rules keep getting tighter.

Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.