Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys - incoming grad student and newcomer to Oxford

I was wondering if anyone else was thinking of taking the All Souls examination at the start of October? The prize is kinda of incredible but I will be honest reading the past papers made me feel like a moron who had somehow conned the admissions team into letting me in.

The general papers look like a right laugh in a thought provoking way but I must say that 12 hours of exams over two days makes me feel slightly sick. I imagine I would leave and want to move into the nearest pub for a few days to recover... Haven't decided yet but I might either do it this year or give it a miss and do it before I start my second year. Or maybe both...

So yes - anyone going in for it/have gone in for it before? How does one even prepare for this almost sadistic test? Somehow I doubt the way I prepared for my finals would be compatible here since questions are (in my case) on ALL of history haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mouldywart)
    Hi guys - incoming grad student and newcomer to Oxford

I was wondering if anyone else was thinking of taking the All Souls examination at the start of October? The prize is kinda of incredible but I will be honest reading the past papers made me feel like a moron who had somehow conned the admissions team into letting me in.

The general papers look like a right laugh in a thought provoking way but I must say that 12 hours of exams over two days makes me feel slightly sick. I imagine I would leave and want to move into the nearest pub for a few days to recover... Haven't decided yet but I might either do it this year or give it a miss and do it before I start my second year. Or maybe both...

So yes - anyone going in for it/have gone in for it before? How does one even prepare for this almost sadistic test? Somehow I doubt the way I prepared for my finals would be compatible here since questions are (in my case) on ALL of history haha!
    I considered it but then thought, nah, can't be bothered. I don't feel I have the breadth of reference/versatility of thought to even attempt something cogent in the general paper and I don't even think they have a Mod Langs special paper... Shame because the prize is so tempting. In my 4 years at Oxford I can't think of a single person who has expressed serious interest in doing it. I wonder how many people apply...

And unfortunately 12 hours of exams in such a short time is not really a big deal at Oxford. For my finals I had twelve hours in the first two days and then another 12 hours spread over the following 7 or so days. Silly way to assess academic achievement in my opinion...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyuiop1993)
    In my 4 years at Oxford I can't think of a single person who has expressed serious interest in doing it. I wonder how many people apply...
    I know someone who had their tutors suggest that they apply for it after getting their finals results, and then apparently there were a couple of historians last year who decided to apply because they thought they stood a chance. None of these people got in

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.