Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I hope this goes here as it is to do with Coventry University.

I am a third year comp sci student / half graduate.

I say half because I haven't graduated yet. I only got my results a few days ago because a couple of my modules were deferred.

One of the modules I wished to condone. I was put in for a resit coursework I wasn't meant to be put in for, I had my dissiatation and thought that it was OK to sacrafice a module given that I had enough credits (given that my condolement was approved) as I just didn't have the time and I was in pieces trying to get the 114 page document that was my dissio, finished.

However, as my deferal deadline is usually midnight (my deferal deadline date was only stated, not the time), I assumed it was an online submission. I hadn't had a physical submission in years. I uploaded a document which just stated that I wish for that module to be condoned.

Today, I learnt it was a physical submission. They will not accept my uploaded document as an attempt and therefore marked me as absent. As I am absent for an assignment, I can't condone the module. As I can't condone the module, I don't have enough credits. As I don't have enough credits my would be 2:1 degree is now classed as "unclassified".

Due to this simple mistake, I've lost everything I've worked hard for over the past 4 years (industrial placement student).

They have either offered that I go back for a term to resit the module or I take the "unclassified". I am part of a graduate scheme. I'd have to give it up if I wanted to go back for a term as it's essential training.

I just want my degree I worked so hard for so I'm writing an appeal. Does anyone have any expirence with this? My tutor suggested that I get the student union involved but it's kinda hard when you have a full time job somewhere else. Appeals also need to be written so quickly, I'm panicked over what needs to be in it!

Thank you to anyone that can help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pikapop)
    I'm afraid I can't help you with any of this, but I'm going to move it into Uni Life, so that more people will see it. It's a problem which isn't specific to Coventry so you will have more chance of an answer from someone who has been through something similar if I broaden the audience. I hope someone comes along who can help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    I'm afraid I can't help you with any of this, but I'm going to move it into Uni Life, so that more people will see it. It's a problem which isn't specific to Coventry so you will have more chance of an answer from someone who has been through something similar if I broaden the audience. I hope someone comes along who can help.
    Thank you very much.

ReputationRep:
    It really sounds like it is worth to write an appeal. But to be honest, the university seems to be very strict when it comes to submitting coursework. You should use all the help you can get, for example the advice center of SU could be a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    Agree that you need to speak to your Student Union. Each uni can set its own rules and regs, and appeals process. The SU will be able to walk you through your options.

Is your Honours element worth more than the graduate scheme you'll be sacrificing in the long run? IMHO probably not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pikapop)

I am a third year comp sci student / half graduate.

I say half because I haven't graduated yet. I only got my results a few days ago because a couple of my modules were deferred.

One of the modules I wished to condone. I was put in for a resit coursework I wasn't meant to be put in for, I had my dissiatation and thought that it was OK to sacrafice a module given that I had enough credits (given that my condolement was approved) as I just didn't have the time and I was in pieces trying to get the 114 page document that was my dissio, finished.

However, as my deferal deadline is usually midnight (my deferal deadline date was only stated, not the time), I assumed it was an online submission. I hadn't had a physical submission in years. I uploaded a document which just stated that I wish for that module to be condoned.

Today, I learnt it was a physical submission. They will not accept my uploaded document as an attempt and therefore marked me as absent. As I am absent for an assignment, I can't condone the module. As I can't condone the module, I don't have enough credits. As I don't have enough credits my would be 2:1 degree is now classed as "unclassified".

Due to this simple mistake, I've lost everything I've worked hard for over the past 4 years (industrial placement student).

They have either offered that I go back for a term to resit the module or I take the "unclassified". I am part of a graduate scheme. I'd have to give it up if I wanted to go back for a term as it's essential training.

I just want my degree I worked so hard for so I'm writing an appeal. Does anyone have any expirence with this? My tutor suggested that I get the student union involved but it's kinda hard when you have a full time job somewhere else. Appeals also need to be written so quickly, I'm panicked over what needs to be in it!

Thank you to anyone that can help.
    I'd go back for a term to resit the module. Surely if you haven't got enough credits and haven't graduated, you're not eligible for the graduate entry scheme anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Florality)
    I'd go back for a term to resit the module. Surely if you haven't got enough credits and haven't graduated, you're not eligible for the graduate entry scheme anyway?
    Yeah that's what I was thinking. If you take the unclassified degree then you probably won't be eligible for the graduate scheme. If you are eligible for the graduate scheme with the unclassified, then just take that. Your graduate scheme is probably 2-3 years I imagine, so you could finish that and then get a couple of years experience, by which point your experience would outweigh the fact you only had an unclassified degree.

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.