The Student Room Group

Should i retake my Geography gcse?

So I've just received my GCSE results this year, I got 8 A*s and 3 As. However, I'm really disappointed in my geography grade, an A, as I'd been an A* student for two years without much effort. I think I didn't take the exam as seriously as I should have because I felt like I'd 'winged it' and still done well in the past.

With that said, I'm asking is it worth retaking the gcse? Or will it impact greatly on my A levels (in terms of time and added stress) and therefore be a bad idea? I would retake it in June 2016, so around the time of my AS levels. For my A levels I want to take Eng Lit, History, German and Maths so I guess it's not like I need a better grade in Geog, I think it's more of a pride thing and something that will probably annoy me for the rest of my life!!!

Or should I leave it and retake it if I'm still bothered in my 30s? Haha. (Any advice or knowledge on retaking that much later? Would I have to retake the controlled assessment part of the GCSE?)

Thanks!!!
Reply 1
Really bad idea. You got an A! I left school with very few qualifications and I have done perfectly fine in life. I am convinced you will be OK with an A as opposed to an A*. As long as you know what an oxbow lake is, life will be OK for you.
Reply 2
Thanks haha, I think I just needed someone to knock some sense into me. Don't worry I A*-ed the physical paper, it was the human one that brought down my grade! :wink:
Reply 3
Original post by gelli0tt
Thanks haha, I think I just needed someone to knock some sense into me. Don't worry I A*-ed the physical paper, it was the human one that brought down my grade! :wink:

The end part of that reply is absolutely wasted on me lol. It's been 15 years since I was at school and have no clue of what the difference is between the human one and the physical one. When I did mine I think all I had to do was point out "earth" on a world map.
Reply 4
Original post by gelli0tt
So I've just received my GCSE results this year, I got 8 A*s and 3 As. However, I'm really disappointed in my geography grade, an A, as I'd been an A* student for two years without much effort. I think I didn't take the exam as seriously as I should have because I felt like I'd 'winged it' and still done well in the past.

With that said, I'm asking is it worth retaking the gcse? Or will it impact greatly on my A levels (in terms of time and added stress) and therefore be a bad idea? I would retake it in June 2016, so around the time of my AS levels. For my A levels I want to take Eng Lit, History, German and Maths so I guess it's not like I need a better grade in Geog, I think it's more of a pride thing and something that will probably annoy me for the rest of my life!!!

Or should I leave it and retake it if I'm still bothered in my 30s? Haha. (Any advice or knowledge on retaking that much later? Would I have to retake the controlled assessment part of the GCSE?)

Thanks!!!

A in geography is really good i got an A in paper one and a C in paper 2 giving me a C grade overall but im still happy with my result as i know i worked hard for it so just be happy with your resultITS AN A!!!!theirs other people that will be fighting for the grade you gotso just don't take the risk of resitting as your paper may go down in marks and many top unis do not like people resitting many exams all the best with your future studies

Quick Reply

Latest