Turn on thread page Beta

Worried about dreams/reality colliding etc watch

So umm, after a discussion in a thread about lucid dreams and such I was made aware of various things which may all link up into a potentially scary diagnosis.

I've been concerned about some of this for a little while anyway.

For the most part I've been trying to ignore it because a) if it's a valid issue it could have huge implications for life stuff and b) because of the nature of it possibly running in families, I know my Mum's had too deal with it it when her Dad was alive and don't want to worry her that I'm worried about it, or even having to deal with me having it.

Someone mentioned in another thread that my vivid/lucid dreaming, hearing family members talking when I'm in bed trying to sleep (when they're definitely already asleep), smell hallucinations, having hazy half-dreams before and after sleep when I'm not sure at the time if they're real or nor, having moments during the day when I'm not sure if what I'm doing/just done is real/dream, hearing my name being called when it hasn't been... could all add up to pre-psychosis.

For years I've been convinced the lucid dreaming meant I had latent psychic abilities, even before it started I'd always had strong de ja vu which lasted for more than a few seconds... My record was 5 minutes I think, and it felt like I was accurately predicting things seconds before they happened. I know the psychic thing is probably nonsense. But I can't help but wondering, and sometimes the wondering goes beyond wishful thinking to "I wonder if I could actually do xyz" and then half-heartedly trying to just to humour myself.

Like I said, my granddad suffered for years with mental health issues with at least a couple of times having to go "away" so I'm sh*t scared that something like that might be happening to me.

I know Dr Google is never to be trusted but I did a STEPI test and got a score of "34 with mitigating factors". And Dr Google also tells me the Gabapentin/Neurontin I've been prescribed by GP for pain could have an aggravating factor on psychosis.

I don't want to follow this up, I'm convinced it will either all go away or just stay the level it's at now. But I'm scared. Probably more so because Dr Google diagnoses a papercut as a rare form of leprosy, idk.

Halp?

ReputationRep:
    Seems like sound reasoning to me. You appear to be high-functioning, but as I understand it psychosis is progressive if untreated. Express your concerns to your doctor and request an alternative painkiller. You should not leave it to "all go away"

ReputationRep:
    Dude! Ive told you, don't worry about it. I went through that phase of thinking I was psychic too when I see people with my eyes closed. The people that visit are almost always of Middle Eastern origin too. With my employment background I thought they were certain people visiting to try and tell me something. It is progressive and things do get added on etc but if you look at some of the people in history that suffered similar fates you will realise it can be a sign of just higher functioning. Telsa is prime example, John Nash, there is a physicist in the states too called Richard fennyman or similar that sees things all of the time. Its not an issue unless you have voices commanding you to do things etc. Things repeating is more of a blessing than anything isn't it? Songs, conversations heard etc. It's all good!!

(Original post by scrotgrot)
    Seems like sound reasoning to me. You appear to be high-functioning, but as I understand it psychosis is progressive if untreated. Express your concerns to your doctor and request an alternative painkiller. You should not leave it to "all go away"
    Whatever it is, it doesn't seem to be affecting my day-to-day life much as yet. But then again I've always suffered poor social skills, emotional issues, etc

(Original post by ExRN)
    Dude! Ive told you, don't worry about it. I went through that phase of thinking I was psychic too when I see people with my eyes closed. The people that visit are almost always of Middle Eastern origin too. With my employment background I thought they were certain people visiting to try and tell me something. It is progressive and things do get added on etc but if you look at some of the people in history that suffered similar fates you will realise it can be a sign of just higher functioning. Telsa is prime example, John Nash, there is a physicist in the states too called Richard fennyman or similar that sees things all of the time. Its not an issue unless you have voices commanding you to do things etc. Things repeating is more of a blessing than anything isn't it? Songs, conversations heard etc. It's all good!!
    I guess I just worry too much, and have a tendency to over-think things to epic proportions :/ lol

ReputationRep:
    I would advise you that deja-vu isn't always what you think it is. Think of how many times a day you imagine something happening and by coincidence it happens. Probability dictates that at some point something that happens must have been predicted by you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExRN)
    Things repeating is more of a blessing than anything isn't it? Songs, conversations heard etc. It's all good!!
    Trust me; it's not.

Sometimes I hear songs I know and they go on repeat over and over while trying to sleep. Drives me nuts as I already have enough trouble sleeping! :banghead:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Trust me; it's not.

Sometimes I hear songs I know and they go on repeat over and over while trying to sleep. Drives me nuts as I already have enough trouble sleeping! :banghead:
    Trust me it is. I like it. Do you get about 15/20 seconds looping for ages and then it runs to end and stops? Tell me what songs you get. Most of mine are from the 60s and a lot from 1968 in particular for some reason. Do yours sound like they are under water kind of? Can make out the lyrics if you listen hard though. Ive had this instrumental flute and accordion song following me about recently. I can't work out what it is because there is no lyrics obviously.
    My songs:

Crimson and clover
    Tower of strength
    3rd eye blind - semi charmed life (not 60s)
    Kings of Leon - sex on fite
    Matt Monroe - the music played
    Petula Clark - downtown
    The theme from Tony Hawk for ps1

There are more songs, I just can't recall them at the moment.

Ive had radio from my original hometown play too with adverts and all....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I guess I just worry too much, and have a tendency to over-think things to epic proportions :/ lol
    Don't listen to him, his post reveals he is maybe more removed from reality than you are. Of course it's incontrovertible that Tesla's and Nash's psychosis and brilliance were two sides of the same coin. Tesla's decline began at age 60 until death. Nash's began at age 35 but it took him twenty or thirty more years to recover properly. It's not worth it, even if you are a brilliant scientist. Seek psychiatric and medical help immediately. You don't want to end up dying alone in a hotel room telepathically communing with pigeons.

ReputationRep:
    Trust me; it's not.

One more thing to add dude. Mine is exacerbated when I am really tired and my circadian rhythm is all wrong like now. It ain't happening at the minute but when I get to a certain stage of being awake for an extended period of time it is guaranteed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExRN)
    Trust me it is. I like it. Do you get about 15/20 seconds looping for ages and then it runs to end and stops? Tell me what songs you get. Most of mine are from the 60s and a lot from 1968 in particular for some reason. Do yours sound like they are under water kind of? Can make out the lyrics if you listen hard though. Ive had this instrumental flute and accordion song following me about recently. I can't work out what it is because there is no lyrics obviously.
    My songs:

Crimson and clover
    Tower of strength
    3rd eye blind - semi charmed life (not 60s)
    Kings of Leon - sex on fite
    Matt Monroe - the music played
    Petula Clark - downtown
    The theme from Tony Hawk for ps1

There are more songs, I just can't recall them at the moment.

Ive had radio from my original hometown play too with adverts and all....
    Usually I get the whole song, or, quite often, without the first 20 seconds or so. Then it runs to the end. A lot of the time I don't realize it's in my head until I tell my wife to turn it down/complain to her about the neighbors being loud. Then I listen and notice that it's repeating and get pissed off.

Do you listen to a lot of 60's music regularly? Most of the songs I hear are ones I enjoyed but since this has started happening more I tend to avoid those ones now because of how annoyed it makes me.

ReputationRep:
    Don't listen to him, his post reveals he is maybe more removed from reality than you are. Of course it's incontrovertible that Tesla's and Nash's psychosis and brilliance were two sides of the same coin. Tesla's decline began at age 60 until death. Nash's began at age 35 but it took him twenty or thirty more years to recover properly. It's not worth it, even if you are a brilliant scientist. Seek psychiatric and medical help immediately. You don't want to end up dying alone in a hotel room telepathically communing with pigeons.
    You make a good point but you really didn't have to say it like that. Ive lived like this for a long while now and although I do have support it is still possible to think things through even though it may be a different way of thinking. A lot of professionals only wish to throw medication at the situation and that loses the intellect as well. Is it not better to ride with nature and live how we were designed to be? The days of people dying alone like Tesla with his birds are long gone. Previously people were labelled as psychos and crazy. Back then people didn't understand it so they avoided it. People always fear what they don't understand. Nowadays it is different though. I live a decent life. Granted I have my moments but I just go with the flow.

ReputationRep:
    Usually I get the whole song, or, quite often, without the first 20 seconds or so. Then it runs to the end. A lot of the time I don't realize it's in my head until I tell my wife to turn it down/complain to her about the neighbors being loud. Then I listen and notice that it's repeating and get pissed off.

Do you listen to a lot of 60's music regularly? Most of the songs I hear are ones I enjoyed but since this has started happening more I tend to avoid those ones now because of how annoyed it makes me.
    No, I don't listen to 60s at all. I need to search those songs in Google to find out what they are. My psych reckons its things from childhood. He explained that the brain takes on so much information that we just dismiss consciously. Ive got a trick for you for working out if its real or not.... Put your fingers in your ears when it starts and if it's musical hallucinations it carries on. When this first started I thought it was coming from cars outside or next-door same as you. Went all over the house trying to source it but it's just as loud in each room. Fingers in ears works it out every time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExRN)
    No, I don't listen to 60s at all. I need to search those songs in Google to find out what they are. My psych reckons its things from childhood. He explained that the brain takes on so much information that we just dismiss consciously. Ive got a trick for you for working out if its real or not.... Put your fingers in your ears when it starts and if it's musical hallucinations it carries on. When this first started I thought it was coming from cars outside or next-door same as you. Went all over the house trying to source it but it's just as loud in each room. Fingers in ears works it out every time
    Oh that is weird....but pretty fascinating!

That definitely sounds like a good idea. I probably should have thought of that before now but a big part of me hopes each time it happens that it's not actually happening - hence the anger when I realize it is. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Oh that is weird....but pretty fascinating!

That definitely sounds like a good idea. I probably should have thought of that before now but a big part of me hopes each time it happens that it's not actually happening - hence the anger when I realize it is. :sigh:
    I honestly enjoy it. Its like a nice little surprise out of nowhere. Maybe it's just me that. Sorry for this question but I have an incline that it's connected..... Which hand is dominant?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExRN)
    You make a good point but you really didn't have to say it like that. Ive lived like this for a long while now and although I do have support it is still possible to think things through even though it may be a different way of thinking. A lot of professionals only wish to throw medication at the situation and that loses the intellect as well. Is it not better to ride with nature and live how we were designed to be? The days of people dying alone like Tesla with his birds are long gone. Previously people were labelled as psychos and crazy. Back then people didn't understand it so they avoided it. People always fear what they don't understand. Nowadays it is different though. I live a decent life. Granted I have my moments but I just go with the flow.
    Sorry if you felt like I was being mean. I'm glad you are able to incorporate your psychosis into your life even though it seems to me quite advanced. However to the OP I still say that attempting to head off the progression of psychosis while you still can can only be a Good Thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExRN)
    I honestly enjoy it. Its like a nice little surprise out of nowhere. Maybe it's just me that. Sorry for this question but I have an incline that it's connected..... Which hand is dominant?
    I'm right handed. Let me guess, you thought I'd be left?

I do get those command voices you spoke about a lot so with them and the music I just want quiet. Probably why I don't enjoy it like you?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if you felt like I was being mean. I'm glad you are able to incorporate your psychosis into your life even though it seems to me quite advanced. However to the OP I still say that attempting to head off the progression of psychosis while you still can can only be a Good Thing.
    I avoid social contact and dont go outside unless absolutely necessary. Ive learnt ways around things. I think it is something that is with the individual from birth. My family has a history of schizophrenia on my mums side with the males. I think it is the case with many others too. Even if it doesn't flourish as full on delusional schizophrenia I do think there will be some other form of issue that is likely to show itself around the late teens to mid 20s. I've always been a different one but didn't start getting visual and auditory stuff until mid 20s but I do think it was inevitable. Is it something that can truly be prevented without losing some other ability that is of use? I know one uncle that is on some pretty high level anti psychotic and he just sits there now staring at the TV with his medication attributed belly and almost zero conversation from him. The other uncle does some pretty crazy stuff as he doesn't take his meds but he has a family and at least some form of social interaction. He memorises car manuals too which is something uncle A is not able to do anymore. I think accepting*and learning coping strategies is more beneficial than being pumped full of anti psychotics. As "off the scale" as I am, ive still managed to get into university, im still able to articulate myself digitally and I can still form complex ideas.

ReputationRep:
    I'm right handed. Let me guess, you thought I'd be left?

I do get those command voices you spoke about a lot so with them and the music I just want quiet. Probably why I don't enjoy it like you?
    Yeah I presumed left like me. :-( I'm the odd one out of the family for left handedness and it's a proven fact that it increases risk of psychosis by 25%
    I don't get commands. I get my name called which I am not worried about and certain intrusive thoughts but not voices. The ones where someone is talking to you (in reality) and you lose track of conversation like you take a step back without moving and suddenly the thought comes from nowhere "do xxxxx to them". Absolutely ridiculous thoughts but I know I would never consciously thinl of doing that. One of the psychs says it's pretty normal though and she explained when she's driving she gets a thought telling her to put handbrake on even though she is moving. So maybe that's OK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Whatever it is, it doesn't seem to be affecting my day-to-day life much as yet. But then again I've always suffered poor social skills, emotional issues, etc
    I will give you a time lined example. All life lack of social ability, secondary school (top class all way though) stopped caring about everything at year 9 maybe, 16 - 20 I would say depressive like features, 20 - 25 alcohol phase (heavy) acted as a social lubricant I believe so I would leave base and attempt to interact, 25 - present when things started taking a funny turn with services having to get involved. 27 was first full on psychotic episode with detachment (I spread tartar sauce over door handles and ate it off).... Didn't know I was doing it until I snapped out of it mid doing it... Then back in, carry on and snap out again. Surreal experience that is. No logic to the behavior but no control over it either. I know the signs of it now though which is a strong feeling of a female presence in the room (no idea). Think that's pretty much the gist of it with repeats of similar things inbetween. Apparently it always shows between 18 and 30 ish in males.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 25, 2015
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.