Turn on thread page Beta

which is more difficult to play,modern football or old football? watch

ReputationRep:
    i dont only mean physical contact,others like skills or tactics also included.
    your opinions?please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by singleday)
    i dont only mean physical contact,others like skills or tactics also included.
    your opinions?please?
    Since the invention of the offside rule it must be much harder to be a striker

ReputationRep:
    In terms of defending I would say modern football. Back in the day you could pretty much go in for a shoulder high slide challenge, when the ball was on the ground, and the other team would be lucky if they got a free kick. Nowadays, you're lucky if you can get away with a well timed slide challenge if they referee doesn't like the look of it.

In terms of attacking/midfield/goalkeeping I would say old football. Nowadays players are able to run, dribble, use skill and pass the ball about the park without the threat of serious injury, and in the knowledge that players won't come flying in from all over the place, getting away with dangerous tackles. The ball is also lighter so it's easier to take long shots, and to be more accurate or swerve the ball. Goalkeepers can play without the constant physical challenges from players.

That's just my opinion though.

ReputationRep:
    Old football definitely. In terms of the weight of the ball, the bad pitches, the old-school jerseys and boots, the brutal tackles, and playing games in blizzards or thunderstorms, it's far harder.

I think with most of the rules it's swings and roundabouts. The offside rule is mentioned: that made things much harder for strikers, but much easier for defenders.

All that aside, I think on balance old football would be easier to actually play if you were transported back there, simply because all the players smoked 50 a day, drank copiously, ate awful diets and never trained.

ReputationRep:
    Old football of course.

ReputationRep:
    Moderns skills better,icant compare

ReputationRep:
    Modern football, conditions may have been tougher back then but I'd love to see any footballer from that period keep up with the speed of todays game and the skill of todays players

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 25, 2015
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.