Poor 2:1 in second year - Is getting a 2017 training contract hopeless? Watch

singalaw
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am a law student at the UCL, going to my final year. I am originally from Hong Kong (not holding a British passport/citizenship) and plan to work at an international law firm in the UK upon graduation.

I have done two internships in Hong Kong this year - one at Skadden and one at Cleary this year. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to secure a training contract from either of them. I have obtained an average of 64% in my first year and 62% in my second year - pretty poor.

I hope that I could secure a job in a big firm in London upon graduation so I will not be creating too much financial burden to my family. However, is my situation really hopeless right now?
J-SP
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Not hopeless but I suspect there will be more of a question as to why the UK if your work experience is all in HK. That to me would be slightly more concerning than your grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
TurboCretin
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by singalaw)
I am a law student at the UCL, going to my final year. I am originally from Hong Kong (not holding a British passport/citizenship) and plan to work at an international law firm in the UK upon graduation.

I have done two internships in Hong Kong this year - one at Skadden and one at Cleary this year. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to secure a training contract from either of them. I have obtained an average of 64% in my first year and 62% in my second year - pretty poor.

I hope that I could secure a job in a big firm in London upon graduation so I will not be creating too much financial burden to my family. However, is my situation really hopeless right now?
How consistent were your module grades?

Agree with J-SP that you'd need to really sell your desire to work in the UK in applications.
singalaw
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
wide range: from 58 to 71
J-SP
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The drop in your average module score will be slightly concerning - firms usually like to see consistency or progression. But I still think the main issue will be "why UK/London".

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (844)
90.75%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (86)
9.25%

Watched Threads