Turn on thread page Beta

Best mobile network to take SIM of in Glasgow? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'll be beginning my 1 year's masters in Glasgow this September and am quite confused about which mobile carrier to choose.

My main priority will be data and international calls back home, with UK calls and messages coming in second. I've been reading up about the options available and cant decide if I should go with one of the big carriers like O2, 3 or Vodafone...or a Lebara or Lyca which are tailor made for cheap international calling. Is it a good idea to have two SIMs, one from each kind of operator to use for international calls and UK calls+data?

I plan to buy and bring with me an unlocked Microsoft Lumia 640XL for use in the UK.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    GiffGaff.

500 min, unlimited text and 1GB internet for £10 a month. There are more cheaper and deluxe tariffs on their website. I think it is 9p a minute to make international calls

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterfly92xo)
    GiffGaff.

500 min, unlimited text and 1GB internet for £10 a month. There are more cheaper and deluxe tariffs on their website. I think it is 9p a minute to make international calls

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You should be alright on Giffgaff in Glasgow as their coverage seems good. They are also pretty cheap with their tariffs but in regards to data usage they have less priority than O2 or Tesco (who also use the O2 network).

It all depends on what the OP's main priority is. If they are able to sacrifice a bit of data usage/4G data for cheap international calls, Lebara and/or Lyca may be fine. On the other hand, if data is the main concern, go for a UK network which has plenty of data coverage/allowance.

If cost wasn't an issue, it might be best to have two sims: a Lebara/Lyca SIM for international calling and an EE/3 SIM for UK data/calls/texts.

P.S. I'd recommend Lyca instead of Lebara as Lyca use EE for coverage (97% UK coverage) whereas Lebara use Vodafone for their coverage, which is only 90% UK coverage.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.