Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I enrolled at college the other day for 5 a levels and I'm starting to have my doubts. I got 10 A* at GCSE and an extra in additional maths (which covers some AS level maths - I got the top grade in this). I picked biology, chemistry, physics, maths and further maths on the day. I really don't want to drop any sciences, and I'm quite sure I'll be able to do the maths as I've never had any issues before. I appreciate that it is much harder, and if I find it too difficult I will probably try to drop further maths anyway, but I want to keep my hopes up that I will be able to do it for now. I was accepted to do the five with my results, but I forgot to ask whether I would have to drop a science in the second year. If that was necessary I would drop further maths now and pursue the other four because I'm still not sure which science I want to follow. I'm most interested in Physics and Chemistry, but I don't want to put Biology completely out of the picture. I want to do Chemistry at university at the moment, which I can get into even if I drop a science, providing I get the grades, but I'm not sure if I really want to get rid of biology so early in the grand scheme of things! When I go in to college next week I'll talk to the school support there, but I just wanted to see what you guys think!
    Thanks!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    (Original post by bananasmoothie88)
    I enrolled at college the other day for 5 a levels and I'm starting to have my doubts. I got 10 A* at GCSE and an extra in additional maths (which covers some AS level maths - I got the top grade in this). I picked biology, chemistry, physics, maths and further maths on the day. I really don't want to drop any sciences, and I'm quite sure I'll be able to do the maths as I've never had any issues before. I appreciate that it is much harder, and if I find it too difficult I will probably try to drop further maths anyway, but I want to keep my hopes up that I will be able to do it for now. I was accepted to do the five with my results, but I forgot to ask whether I would have to drop a science in the second year. If that was necessary I would drop further maths now and pursue the other four because I'm still not sure which science I want to follow. I'm most interested in Physics and Chemistry, but I don't want to put Biology completely out of the picture. I want to do Chemistry at university at the moment, which I can get into even if I drop a science, providing I get the grades, but I'm not sure if I really want to get rid of biology so early in the grand scheme of things! When I go in to college next week I'll talk to the school support there, but I just wanted to see what you guys think!
    Thanks!
    Well done with your GCSE grades

If you are planning to study Chemistry at uni then Chemistry is a must and another science is a good 2nd subject.
    Maths is also very useful for the Chemistry degree so there are reasons for keeping that too. What type of Chemistry do you want to go into? - if you are considering being a BioChemist then Biology would be useful too!

The best people to answer the question are your college, see what they think next week

Good luck with your a levels

M

ReputationRep:
    I did those five and it was fine. They're very nice subjects. You can always drop one if you find it too much.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!
    I did four of those through to A2 and my boyfriend did exactly the same five subjects as you, although he dropped the Further Maths after AS. He ended up with AAAAB at AS - he didn't do so well in the Further Maths because he was doing too many other subjects to have time to concentrate on it, but he did still get very good grades. So if you're smart and dedicated it is perfectly possible to do five, but you should consider dropping one at a later date because stretching yourself over too many subjects can end up decreasing your grades as you don't have enough time to study for each one.

ReputationRep:
    That's a pretty decent set of subjects. I couldn't do Further Maths at my school (no teacher) so couldn't do Math's at Uni - but if you're pretty sure you don't want to do pure Maths then feel free to drop it if you have to. It's worth doing if you are finding it easy but, ultimately, you don't need more than 3 A-levels.

I'd say carefully decide whether you want to drop Bio and futher maths, you don't want to burn out. As someone who's 26, let me tell you no one cares about A-levels once you get into Uni.

Work to get into Uni, other than that, have fun with your life rather than trying to do 5 A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much guys for your fast responses! I think I am going to talk to the college and at least try out the subjects! I'm glad to know that there are people that have done five, as I couldn't find much about it online and all my friends think I've gone a little mad in thinking about five!

Thank you!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Thanks so much guys for your fast responses! I think I am going to talk to the college and at least try out the subjects! I'm glad to know that there are people that have done five, as I couldn't find much about it online and all my friends think I've gone a little mad in thinking about five!

Thank you!
    You are clearly an intelligent person who is prepared to put the work in!

I am sure you will be fine with your 5 subjects

Let us know how you get on when you speak to your College.

Matt
    LearnOnline

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually doing all of these starting september! You can totally do it. But if you want to drop a subject in the second year, it would have to be maths or further maths because all of the sciences are now two year courses only
    So if you wanted to only do an AS in one of them instead it would still be a two year course
    You can't just drop it half way through
    However maths and f maths are not changing till next year I think, so you can still drop either of those at A2

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LearnOnline)
    You are clearly an intelligent person who is prepared to put the work in!

I am sure you will be fine with your 5 subjects

Let us know how you get on when you speak to your College.

Matt
    LearnOnline
    Thanks, will do.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    Slight advancement in the issues of doing the five. I spoke to my private tutor (which takes away my lunchtime once a week because I'm doing 5) today who said that I'm not necessarily supposed to do five for the two years, and that if my grades start dropping they will probably tell me I need to drop one anyway. They are really opposed to doing five a-levels. What they didn't tell me on enrolment was that even though they are supportive of doing 5 AS subjects, they don't want you to do 5 full a-levels, they want you to drop at least 1. Due to the nature of my subject choices, if I needed to drop one at the end of the first year, it would have to be a science really. They said I could drop my further maths, but that because I would have sat my A-level maths the year before my science exams, that I might not be able to use all four to apply to uni, because they are not all in one sitting. I do not want to drop a science, as I have said previously, but I'm quite happy with the subjects I've got. I really wish that my college had told me about this on enrolment, because it's devastating. I've been talking to my parents and friends who think I should drop the further maths now, which is what I'm very tempted to do. I'm talking to my teachers and private tutor tomorrow again just to confirm, but I just wanted to see what you guys say to this. I am aware that I am in my rights to do the five, but because I know they are so hard, and the college isn't that supportive of it, I don't know whether to just go to four and do them to the best of my ability, giving me more time to focus on my subjects, and on my own life. Thanks guys.

ReputationRep:
    According to Oxford university you need to either do two sciences and maths or chemistry and both maths a levels. I'd recommend doing biology for AS, other two sciences and the normal maths a level for A2, 3 A*s is just as good as 4 A*s so you're giving yourself unnecessary pressure.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!
    We aren't letting anyone do 5 because of the new specs in some subjects. It wil be stressful because the teachers are new to the linear specs too.

Drop one - unis only ask for three and doing more does not get you a lower offer - quite the opposite sometimes.

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.