Linguistics and German or German and French at Uni? Watch

cjdw1000
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,
I've just finished year 12 and achieved 4 As in French, German, History and Chemistry and an A* in the EPQ (which was on the prospect of an English spelling reform). I have always been fascinated by languages and my goal is to go to Oxford. The only problem is that I do not know whether to apply for Linguistics and German or German and French. I would like to go into business or the Civil Service so I think French would be more useful. Does anyone have any thoughts? Also does anyone have useful resources for preparing for the MLAT?
Any help or advice would be really appreciated.
justag
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Usefulness: French and German.

But do whichever one you would enjoy more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Snufkin
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Oxford MFL degrees are lit heavy, do you really want to study French literature and culture or do you just want to know the language? If you just want to know the language then consider using Oxford's language centre. I'm sure you could learn French there in your spare time whilst doing the German and Linguistics degree.
schmuur
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
my advice is to apply for unis which offer both courses. Since you will be staying in the languages department, it shouldnt be too hard to change course. When I applied to do modern languages, I was never asked which languages I wanted to do. I think we sign up for modules only during freshers week. Anyway, I originally intended to study french, german and chinese and now I think I want to drop french.
sophia5892
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Agreed with Snufkin's point for Oxford MFL. I know one girl who did German and Italian there and she had to do a helluva lot of literature so lots of reading and lots of essays. So bear that in mind because if literature isn't your thing doing 2 langs there might not be the best option.

As far as your other options go - you could look at doing a 3 subject degree to keep both languages and linguistics. Alternatively, look for French and German courses that have a heavy linguistics focus (unless you are specifically interested in English linguistics of course).

Good luck
5845forest
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Check Southampton University's BA in French and German (linguistic studies) that allows you to combine the two
Similarly, there is a degree at Newcastle University entitled Modern Languages and linguistics. You can choose French and German and your main languages there.
Finally look at York, as they have a department in which linguistics and languages are combined, and French and German as options as the languages you study alongside linguistics.
I know that Newcastle and York are fairly flexible with how much of each subject you do, so there is option for change if you do require it.
As everyone else has said, really research module options at unis that you are interested in and ask questions about the course and the flexibility of the students
Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (237)
91.51%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (22)
8.49%

Watched Threads