Turn on thread page Beta

I don't know what I want to do, but my school expects me to.. watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm going into year 12 and I've still got the option to change my subjects which is why I'm asking this now. Basically I have no idea what I want to do in the future, but my school expects me to know and if you want to do certain things at uni you need the right A Levels. The problem is I really don't know any of this and I need to really figure it out before I'm no longer allowed to change my a level subjects.If it helps, I've put down to do Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Computing because I enjoy these subjects.

ReputationRep:
    don't change your options.
    If they're the 4 subjects you enjoy most then you're more likely to succeed in those as opposed to other subjects that you don't enjoy as much.
    Maths and 2 sciences will open a lot of doors for you, so it doesn't matter if you're not sure of what to study in university at the moment. Computing shows a breadth of learning proving that you're versatile and universities like that.

do what you do best

ReputationRep:
    choosing your A levels is more about not closing any doors, not heading for a specific career - the doors you would be closing would be essay based subjects (e.g. English and Social Science) and Arts subjects (e.g. Art, Drama, Music), I'm guessing if you're the sort of person who enjoys science and maths subjects so much you're choosing to take 4 of those options you're unlikely to be the sort of person whose going to massively regret being unable to study Sociology in 2 years time...

The more important subjects are the ones you're taking in my opinion as not having a Science/Maths can affect entry onto quite a few courses and having good grades in STEM subjects will set you up for a degree with really good (and varied) job prospects. Many people I know who did STEM subjects are not necessarily in a job they would have been able to imagine at the age of 16, there are so many different things open to you with a STEM education that I really wouldn't worry about taking those subjects.

And most people who 'know' what they want to do now will change their mind before they settle into a career so don't stress about it.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't know what you want to do, just chose the ones you are best at and you like most. Maths and Science subjects like you have chosen are good as they are STEM subjects and keep a lot of career paths open.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't know back in my A-Level days either. I just went for my strengths and what I enjoyed. Turned out fine in the end. I mean, people tend to go for degrees in subjects they are good at and enjoy anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help, and no I really dislike essay based subjects hence why I'm not taking any

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 25, 2015
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.