Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have 5 free weeks next summer and I am looking for some form of work experience, internship or summer school which I could attend for a few weeks. I live in the south west in Devon but can also stay in london. I will be 16 next summer and I am interested in software development and computer science not really web design. I have a good grounding in java and vb.net plus limited ablility with python. I was wondering if anyone knew of any work expierence/summer school/internship which could further my understanding and hopefully be benifical in the future.

ReputationRep:
    It's very rare for those things to happen really. Work experience as a developer for 16 year olds isn't something you see everyday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oobthestudent)
    I have 5 free weeks next summer and I am looking for some form of work experience, internship or summer school which I could attend for a few weeks. I live in the south west in Devon but can also stay in london. I will be 16 next summer and I am interested in software development and computer science not really web design. I have a good grounding in java and vb.net plus limited ablility with python. I was wondering if anyone knew of any work expierence/summer school/internship which could further my understanding and hopefully be benifical in the future.
    At your age there really isn't much. My advice would be to work on a small project (algorithms library/toy compiler) and read a book alongside it (CLRS/Dragon book).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, what books would you advise and are there any courses worth while investigating. I always hear the best way to learn is to do more coding but I don't know what to practise with I was wondering if you knew of any textbook challenges I could try?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oobthestudent)
    Thanks, what books would you advise and are there any courses worth while investigating. I always hear the best way to learn is to do more coding but I don't know what to practise with I was wondering if you knew of any textbook challenges I could try?
    Jon Bentley's Programming Pearls sounds like the sort of book you're after.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 26, 2015

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.