Buying animal articles e.g. fur clothing

Watch
bulgylau
Badges: 21
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Having just returned from a holiday to Moscow in Russia, I have noticed that I have purchased about 10 articles of fur clothing ranging from fur hats to gloves, scarves and a reindeer hide even a scarf made out of the body of a fox. The animals used were mainly rabbit, mink, reindeer and fox.

The total sum came up to approx £150 in Moscow, if these things were bought in the UK then the price would probably come up to 13x that amount, definitely over £2000

My question is if you went to a market which sold fur affordable, you knew it was genuine and knew you wouldn't have many chances to purchase these items would you buy them or walk away.

Personally I do not feel guilty at all, and am happy that I bought these as a protest to the way the whole world reacted over the death of a lion...
Alesha1991
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No I wouldn't. I'm vegetarian, mainly because of the way animals are treated in the meat industry & feel the same way about fur- most of the fur that's on sale has been factory farmed. Even if I knew the fur had come from a more 'ethical' (if you can call it that) source I just wouldn't feel right wearing it. If I wanted something that looked like that I'd definitely go for a synthetic alternative.
e aí rapaz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Never under any circumstances, because

bulgylau
(Original post by e aí rapaz)
Never under any circumstances, because

I admit the video you posted was shocking, and I may be more educated BUT I wouldn't feel very guilty for wearing the fur I purchased. Of course that is my opinion and I would never impose it on anyone and thank you for not "hating" on me and trying to convince I am a cold blooded animal killer.
But if you saw a person who was clearly wearing fur (you knew it was real) how would you react?
And out of curiosity are vegetarian/vegan?
Do you own any leather products?
I'm not trying to say that you may be hypocrite, of course I can't say that. I don't know you at all..
bulgylau
(Original post by Alesha1991)
No I wouldn't. I'm vegetarian, mainly because of the way animals are treated in the meat industry & feel the same way about fur- most of the fur that's on sale has been factory farmed. Even if I knew the fur had come from a more 'ethical' (if you can call it that) source I just wouldn't feel right wearing it. If I wanted something that looked like that I'd definitely go for a synthetic alternative.
If you saw me (or anyone for that matter) walking down the street wearing fur, what would you do?
Do you buy products which aren't tested on animals either?
danielle46
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm a vegan so I would not purchase fur/leather no matter the price. However, I purchased 2 pairs of leather shoes before I was vegan which I intend to use until I can afford to get new ones. I also feel as if it would be disrespectful to have had bought the leather and then chuck them out afterwards just because I have since gone vegan because the damage has been done already

Posted from TSR Mobile
bulgylau
(Original post by danielle46)
I'm a vegan so I would not purchase fur/leather no matter the price. However, I purchased 2 pairs of leather shoes before I was vegan which I intend to use until I can afford to get new ones. I also feel as if it would be disrespectful to have had bought the leather and then chuck them out afterwards just because I have since gone vegan because the damage has been done already

Posted from TSR Mobile
What made you become a vegan?
danielle46
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by homeland.lsw)
What made you become a vegan?
Well I've been veggie since the age of 9 (I'm almost 17 now) purely because of animal welfare. Earlier this year I done a project on vegetarianism which taught me about the negative effects animal agriculture had on the planet and on POC which then gave me another reason to want to continue being vegetarian. Through this research I realised that by being vegetarian, I was still supporting the killing of animals (veal from the dairy industry), which made me very uncomfortable. So I became vegan March this year I've since come to realise that the dairy industry (in my opinion) is far far worse than the beef industry/industries that kill the animal purely because of the flesh, not products like milk, eggs etc, so therefore have continued being vegan and I do not intend on turning back

Posted from TSR Mobile
tomfailinghelp
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Alesha1991)
But you don't know in any detail what benefit people derive from the whole process. We know it to be true that many very poor people, who would otherwise die in horrible conditions, depend on the food industry (and most probably the fur industry, although I don't know) to survive. In fact, whole countries would fail if those industries didn't exist.

Why, then, feel that to fund those industries is immoral? After all, while animal lives and suffering are important, they are plainly less important than human lives and suffering. Your choice is essentially: human or animal. There is no reason to choose the latter above the former.
ChemicalBond
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No.

I'm a vegetarian (slowly making their way to veganism) who doesn't wear leather/suede/anything of the sort and someone who goes out of their way to buy cosmetics and toiletries not animal tested (unfortunately at the moment I am on regular prescription medication so cannot call myself 100% clean- but that's not a choice I've made). I can clothe myself without fur, and as I feel so strongly about animal lives mattering, I would never even consider buying let alone wearing it.

EDIT: And because I care so strongly about animals, what's to say I don't care about people? The two aren't mutually exclusive, and believe it or not this isn't exclusively our planet with the animals as commodities!
bulgylau
(Original post by ChemicalBond)
No.

I'm a vegetarian (slowly making their way to veganism) who doesn't wear leather/suede/anything of the sort and someone who goes out of their way to buy cosmetics and toiletries not animal tested (unfortunately at the moment I am on regular prescription medication so cannot call myself 100% clean- but that's not a choice I've made). I can clothe myself without fur, and as I feel so strongly about animal lives mattering, I would never even consider buying let alone wearing it.

EDIT: And because I care so strongly about animals, what's to say I don't care about people? The two aren't mutually exclusive, and believe it or not this isn't exclusively our planet with the animals as commodities!
I admit fur is not essential but depending on your ancestry, your ancestors probably wore fur, it is part of many people's culture, would you say that more traditional peoples who live in Siberia, Native Peoples from Alaska or Canada should not use fur or sell fur to feed their families?
bulgylau
(Original post by tomfailinghelp)
But you don't know in any detail what benefit people derive from the whole process. We know it to be true that many very poor people, who would otherwise die in horrible conditions, depend on the food industry (and most probably the fur industry, although I don't know) to survive. In fact, whole countries would fail if those industries didn't exist.

Why, then, feel that to fund those industries is immoral? After all, while animal lives and suffering are important, they are plainly less important than human lives and suffering. Your choice is essentially: human or animal. There is no reason to choose the latter above the former.
Would you wear fur?
e aí rapaz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I admit the video you posted was shocking, and I may be more educated BUT I wouldn't feel very guilty for wearing the fur I purchased. Of course that is my opinion and I would never impose it on anyone and thank you for not "hating" on me and trying to convince I am a cold blooded animal killer.
But if you saw a person who was clearly wearing fur (you knew it was real) how would you react?
And out of curiosity are vegetarian/vegan?
Do you own any leather products?
I'm not trying to say that you may be hypocrite, of course I can't say that. I don't know you at all..
I'm a vegetarian, slowly attempting to turn vegan. I do not own any leather products apart from a wallet I bought years ago before I went veggie.

If somebody walked past me in the street wearing fur, I wouldn't do anything. I would feel sad about it.
Jammy Duel
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Of course, I would do so in this country too if I wanted to.
ChemicalBond
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I admit fur is not essential but depending on your ancestry, your ancestors probably wore fur, it is part of many people's culture, would you say that more traditional peoples who live in Siberia, Native Peoples from Alaska or Canada should not use fur or sell fur to feed their families?
That's different, these people live in harsh conditions where it's cold all year round and unfortunately fur is the only way to insulate themselves. Furthermore, I have less of a problem with it if the person killed the (wild, not factory farmed- I don't get people who complain about hunters killing for food yet are happy to eat a factory farmed animal when I can guarantee that the wild animal had the better life; although I can understand the anger surrounding trophy hunting which is essentially just vanity and is cruel) animal themselves, used the meat, skin and bones (basically everything) so that the animal doesn't go to waste. Furthermore, it's a different situation when talking about our ancestors compared to your typical modern day Westerner. To keep warm and survive, they had no choice but to use the fur of the animals that they killed. However, in the day of synthetics and alternative materials, the use of fur isn't essential and not necessary to survive.
tomfailinghelp
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Would you wear fur?
Probably, yes.
username1408342
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

May I ask why you think animal lives are plainly less important than human lives?
ChemicalBond
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
But why are humans more important? Are we not animals, too? Believe it or not, the planet isn't exclusively ours with the animals as commodities. Why should other earth inhabitants, who've done nothing wrong, suffer because we consider ourselves to be superior (when actually, the more we find out about animals, the more we realise that we're not so special after all. For example, evidence that cetaceans use language, chimpanzees use tools and can self-medicate using the plants available to them, etc) and have man-made economies? And that's not saying because I care so deeply about animals that I don't care about people, because that's completely false. I'm just genuinely puzzled by the age-old argument: "humans are more important". Why?
bulgylau
That's different, these people live in harsh conditions where it's cold all year round and unfortunately fur is the only way to insulate themselves. Furthermore, I have less of a problem with it if the person killed the (wild, not factory farmed- I don't get people who complain about hunters killing for food yet are happy to eat a factory farmed animal when I can guarantee that the wild animal had the better life; although I can understand the anger surrounding trophy hunting which is essentially just vanity and is cruel) animal themselves, used the meat, skin and bones (basically everything) so that the animal doesn't go to waste. Furthermore, it's a different situation when talking about our ancestors compared to your typical modern day Westerner. To keep warm and survive, they had no choice but to use the fur of the animals that they killed. However, in the day of synthetics and alternative materials, the use of fur isn't essential and not necessary to survive.
But if I walked down the street wearing fur, would you react,after all (I think) we live in a pro-choice society.
Jammy Duel
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's different, these people live in harsh conditions where it's cold all year round
Go look at the weather forecasts

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (119)
4.93%
Uncertainty around my education (358)
14.83%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (264)
10.94%
Lack of purpose or motivation (340)
14.08%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (110)
4.56%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (143)
5.92%
Loneliness (208)
8.62%
Financial worries (90)
3.73%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (102)
4.23%
Exposure to negative news/social media (116)
4.81%
Lack of real life entertainment (128)
5.3%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (209)
8.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (227)
9.4%

Watched Threads