The Student Room Group

Is joint honours respected?

I'm just wondering whether I should stick to the course I am doing for which I have an unconditional offer- English with Classics joint honours, or try and switch to straight English. English has always been my favourite however I really enjoy both subjects. Would it look better for me to have a single honours degree because I suppose you could argue with double honours that you know each subject in less depth?
i may not even be allowed to switch as I didn't get an A in english- my teacher sent off the wrong version of my coursework which sacrificed my A in my A2 level, despite I have always performed very highly in English. However i know they won't be interested in what sounds like an excuse.
i just feel like I need some direction, does anyone have any advice?
Hello!

I studied English Literature and History of Art at university and can really recommend doing a joint honours course. I felt it was quite difficult choosing just one subject to study and even though I had not studied History of Art it really made sense to study it and I did enjoy it!

I would say that with a joint honours degree you learn so much and can gain more skills from it than if you were to study one subject. For example, you often have to apply different skills in each subject and are simultaneously learning two subjects at once. There is no doubt that things you learn in one subject will be very useful in the other, so you can enhance your essays and understanding. For your dissertation, it is possible that you can do a combined one meaning you would find a topic where both subjects are relevant rather than doing two mini separate subject dissertations or just choosing one of the subjects.

A joint honours degree can be very useful for career options as well, especially if you haven't thought much about it or are unsure of what area you want to go into. You would have the advantage of knowing two subjects still in depth along with the different set of skills gained in each one.

I hope this helps! Feel free to ask any more questions,
Pip :smile:
[QUOTE=UniofReading;58847771]Hello!

I studied English Literature and History of Art at university and can really recommend doing a joint honours course. I felt it was quite difficult choosing just one subject to study and even though I had not studied History of Art it really made sense to study it and I did enjoy it!

I would say that with a joint honours degree you learn so much and can gain more skills from it than if you were to study one subject. For example, you often have to apply different skills in each subject and are simultaneously learning two subjects at once. There is no doubt that things you learn in one subject will be very useful in the other, so you can enhance your essays and understanding. For your dissertation, it is possible that you can do a combined one meaning you would find a topic where both subjects are relevant rather than doing two mini separate subject dissertations or just choosing one of the subjects.

A joint honours degree can be very useful for career options as well, especially if you haven't thought much about it or are unsure of what area you want to go into. You would have the advantage of knowing two subjects still in depth along with the different set of skills gained in each one.

I hope this helps! Feel free to ask any more questions,
Pip :smile:

Thank your for this! Made me feel so much better about doing double honours, i think my two subjects overlap quite a lot in terms of skills so what you said about enhancement will hopefully apply 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending